Link Posted: 3/26/2015 1:19:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 1:19:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 1:19:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 1:32:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Sitting at the dentists office.  Impending doom.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 1:33:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Cowboy has dibs on my Scars.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 1:36:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Suck it up. Its just pain.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:09:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By crazymoose:

I only feel that way in cases where there's obviously liberal androgen supplementation. I have always preferred relatively strong women.

However, I can understand why a lot of men are offput by it, and it's not mysogyny (as the feminists would say) or insecurity (as many of us would say). Body shape/ratio is hardwired into our brains for attraction. There are instincts in there that say V shape = dude, Coke bottle = chick. Same way with gait. Almost everyone can identify "male" or "female" stick figures by the way they walk.

If a woman puts on sufficient mass and loses enough curves that the animal instinct part of the brain starts to get confused, I understand why some guys are weirded out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By crazymoose:
Originally Posted By RatherBeLifting:
Additionally, I'd like to do a mental study on guys that see pictures of strong women and say "she's a man" to understand what's going through their brains.  When I see a fit/strong woman, I'm immediately attracted because of those qualities rather than repulsed.

I only feel that way in cases where there's obviously liberal androgen supplementation. I have always preferred relatively strong women.

However, I can understand why a lot of men are offput by it, and it's not mysogyny (as the feminists would say) or insecurity (as many of us would say). Body shape/ratio is hardwired into our brains for attraction. There are instincts in there that say V shape = dude, Coke bottle = chick. Same way with gait. Almost everyone can identify "male" or "female" stick figures by the way they walk.

If a woman puts on sufficient mass and loses enough curves that the animal instinct part of the brain starts to get confused, I understand why some guys are weirded out.

Agreed about the androgen use!

I understand what you're saying and agree but I would argue that most of the women that get posted in those threads are not "V" shaped.  If anything it seems like cross fit adds muscle mass, ass, legs, etc and lose fat that only accentuates their curves.  Like in the butt, what, what.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:10:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Just imagine how that dentist must feel. Gigantic lawyer sitting in his chair...
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:18:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:41:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Yes, but what you said is entirely logical.  What the other poster said was basically "My fiancee started doing crossfit and it led to the break up of our engagement."  Admittedly, I may be reading that wrong but it almost translates to me as "if she hadn't started doing crossfit, she would be miserable in a marriage with me but at least I would be happy".

It's none of my business and tell me to fuck off if you want, but if I recall from watching your "fat to fit" transformation weren't you getting shit from your wife when you actually started seeing results?

Additionally, I'd like to do a mental study on guys that see pictures of strong women and say "she's a man" to understand what's going through their brains.  When I see a fit/strong woman, I'm immediately attracted because of those qualities rather than repulsed.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By therex:
Re: crossfit...

It also ruins marriages.  I have to admit I actually guffawed when I read that one.
Admittedly, I don't think I would have had the mental toughness to stand up for myself without CrossFit. That translated directly into the dissolution of my marraige. I think saying "CrossFit Ruins Bad Marraiges" might be somewhat accurate...  

Yes, but what you said is entirely logical.  What the other poster said was basically "My fiancee started doing crossfit and it led to the break up of our engagement."  Admittedly, I may be reading that wrong but it almost translates to me as "if she hadn't started doing crossfit, she would be miserable in a marriage with me but at least I would be happy".

It's none of my business and tell me to fuck off if you want, but if I recall from watching your "fat to fit" transformation weren't you getting shit from your wife when you actually started seeing results?

There is a difference between strong women and chicks that look like dudes.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:44:59 PM EDT
[#11]
It's Thursday night 5K. I need my new shoes.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:50:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: therex] [#12]

Originally Posted By KaiK:

View Quote
Yeah ok.
But you also gotta realize that everyone's got different looks.

For example. This is a friend of mine, and I think she's gorgeous, and so do a lot of people. Aaaaaaand then there are assholes who are all "you look like a dude" because she can squat more than they can: (Guaranteed no "vitamins and supplements" in this one)

There are definitely guys who pull the "looks like a dude" card on perfectly feminine, beautiful women because they're intimidated.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:57:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 3:13:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Yeah ok.

For example. This is a friend of mine, and I think she's gorgeous, and so do a lot of people. Aaaaaaand then there are assholes who are all "you look like a dude" because she can squat more than they can: (Guaranteed no "vitamins and supplements" in this one)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHWRvosO9pY.

There are definitely guys who pull the "looks like a dude" card on perfectly feminine, beautiful women because they're intimidated.

View All Quotes

Yeah ok.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHWRvosO9pY.

I bet she squats a lot more than me.

I was think more along the lines of  China from wrestling. Girls with big upper bodies don't do it for me.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 3:15:27 PM EDT
[#15]

I was think more along the lines of  China from wrestling. Girls with big upper bodies don't do it for me.
View Quote
215x4:

https://instagram.com/p/0Dijn2PWfr/
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 3:18:51 PM EDT
[#16]
215x4:  

View All Quotes

215x4:  

Front squats are overrated.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 4:49:04 PM EDT
[#17]
I have been sick since Friday, haven't even lifted since Saturday. I would love to prep for just one meet without the wheels coming off along the way. At least this time around it isn't self sabotaged. Actually I am sick enough to go to the doctor tomorrow. I don't think I have done that since my military days when I would go to get medicine rather than shell out my own money.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 5:17:03 PM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes

It also ruins marriages.  I have to admit I actually guffawed when I read that one.
Admittedly, I don't think I would have had the mental toughness to stand up for myself without CrossFit. That translated directly into the dissolution of my marraige. I think saying "CrossFit Ruins Bad Marraiges" might be somewhat accurate...  

Well to be fair, the woman in the picture people were referring to did look very mannish.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 7:23:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By MeatBag:

Well to be fair, the woman in the picture people were referring to did look very mannish.
View All Quotes

Why?  What makes them look like dudes in your opinion?

I will agree they're dirty inkies and not to be trusted with children, firearms or sharp objects.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:44:23 PM EDT
[#20]

I will agree they're dirty inkies and not to be trusted with children, firearms or sharp objects.  
View All Quotes

Just this particular picture.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:36:02 PM EDT
[#21]
5K 26:00. Damn I am slow.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:28:36 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

What's your quarter mile time?
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:35:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By frayedknot:

View All Quotes

Who knows, my app only goes down to half miles.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:45:49 PM EDT
[#24]
No sir. What's your quarter time when running a quarter for time? In other words, if you want to get faster, you need to break it down into smaller, faster intervals.

For example, if you run 3x/wk:
Day 1: Ten (10) 400m runs at pace (pace based on capability. I did 70s when I could run a qtr in 55s. Maybe try 90.) Walk 200m between runs.
Day 2: Five (5) mile runs at target race pace. Walk 800m between runs.
Day 3: 5k or 10k

Yes I mixed miles and meters. And this is difficult without a track, but not impossible.

Yes I pulled this out of my ass while trying to remember training from over 15 years ago. You can also mix in 100m, 200m and 800m workouts. Just adjust volume accordingly.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:54:45 PM EDT
[#25]
No sir. What's your quarter time when running a quarter for time? In other words, if you want to get faster, you need to break it down into smaller, faster intervals.

For example, if you run 3x/wk:
Day 1: Ten (10) 400m runs at pace (pace based on capability. I did 70s when I could run a qtr in 55s. Maybe try 90.) Walk 200m between runs.
Day 2: Five (5) mile runs at target race pace. Walk 800m between runs.
Day 3: 5k or 10k

Yes I mixed miles and meters. And this is difficult without a track, but not impossible.

Yes I pulled this out of my ass while trying to remember training from over 15 years ago. You can also mix in 100m, 200m and 800m workouts. Just adjust volume accordingly.
View Quote

So much math.

Can i just use my HITT timer?
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:03:18 PM EDT
[#26]
View Quote

Okay...we were thinking of different pictures.  That wasn't the one that started the "is that a dude" comments.  I've never seen a dude wear shorty shorts like a thong....
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:09:15 PM EDT
[#27]

Okay...we were thinking of different pictures.  That wasn't the one that started the "is that a dude" comments.  I've never seen a dude wear shorty shorts like a thong....
View All Quotes

I guess you have never been to the french quarter in New Orleans then.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:10:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RatherBeLifting] [#28]

View All Quotes

Not saving this for Hank.

ETA:  I have, but I haven't seen any men that have asses like that.  You won't get there with front squats.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:13:05 PM EDT
[#29]
The algorithm previously known as "Hank" is broken.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 8:52:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Tested out sumo DLs but wasn't enamored with them.  Then went conventional and hit a PR of 435.  Went for 445 and had it to my waist but couldn't lock out.  Pretty sure I locked my legs too early.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:11:51 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:47:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Deathlifts last night. Was programmed for 445x2. My hands couldn't pull the second rep. Got pissed off and put 485 on the bar and let my hands rest. Got it up but didn't get my shoulders back. So much win, yet full of fail. Hands are on fire today.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:14:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: htusa] [#33]

Deathlifts last night. Was programmed for 445x2. My hands couldn't pull the second rep. Got pissed off and put 485 on the bar and let my hands rest. Got it up but didn't get my shoulders back. So much win, yet full of fail. Hands are on fire today.
View Quote
Get a set of straps and have that problem no more.

Spend 25$ or so and they will last you a long damn time. Mine are on year 8 I think.

I put the cotton insert in mine(anti wear feature) (for more bar grip), as well as the padded insert around the wrist.

I will never dead lift, or shoulder shrug without them again.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:20:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By htusa:

Spend 25$ or so and they will last you a long damn time.
http://www.prowriststraps.com/motivator_lifting_strap

I put the cotton insert in mine (for more bar grip), as well as the padded insert around the wrist.
View All Quotes

I put the cotton insert in mine (for more bar grip), as well as the padded insert around the wrist.

Or strengthen your grip.  I can see using them for shrugs though.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:25:21 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:25:35 AM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By LawyerUp:
View All Quotes

Ehh its not that. Its one less thing to worry about when lifting. Its also a safety thing. Hands dont slip, weight doesnt shift causing you to pull a muscle.
If you dont have to worry about you hands slipping then you can get the lift done.

Also I prefer to keep my hands in tact.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 10:26:15 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 11:07:55 AM EDT
[#38]
Heh, LAV does Crossfit. GD will consume itself.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 12:11:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By ACPjunkie:
Heh, LAV does Crossfit. GD will consume itself.
View Quote

So does NorCal
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:24:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Ehh its not that. Its one less thing to worry about when lifting. Its also a safety thing. Hands dont slip, weight doesnt shift causing you to pull a muscle.If you dont have to worry about you hands slipping then you can get the lift done.
View All Quotes

Ehh its not that. Its one less thing to worry about when lifting. Its also a safety thing. Hands dont slip, weight doesnt shift causing you to pull a muscle.If you dont have to worry about you hands slipping then you can get the lift done.

Quit being such a sissy.  Anyways, your hands must be viking sized.  You'd probably have an insane grip if you worked on it.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:41:55 PM EDT
[#41]

Quit being such a sissy.  Anyways, your hands must be viking sized.  You'd probably have an insane grip if you worked on it.
View All Quotes

You mean the ability to crush a coke can with a single squeeze, or the ability to fold a bottle cap in half with two fingers.

Or the ability to crush a mans skull single handily???
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 1:46:03 PM EDT
[#42]
You mean the ability to crush a coke can with a single squeeze, or the ability to fold a bottle cap in half with two fingers.   Or the ability to crush a mans skull single handily???
View Quote

The only true test of grip manhood.

Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:00:43 PM EDT
[#43]
My old man and his friends were iron workers. Fighters. I remember them drinking beer and ripping phone books in half.

I pale in comparison.

New protein powder is really good. Mixes well, tastes great, and doesn't mess with my stomach.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:12:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By flinch08:
My old man and his friends were iron workers. Fighters. I remember them drinking beer and ripping phone books in half.

I pale in comparison.

New protein powder is really good. Mixes well, tastes great, and doesn't mess with my stomach.
View Quote

Yeah, there's a trick to the phone book thing.  But it definitely is better after a couple of beers.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 2:54:20 PM EDT
[#45]
Spud Inc straps are also really nice once they get broke it. Until that point, they suck pretty bad. Fortunately rubbing a file or some sharp knurling on them will fix them within a few minutes.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 4:24:00 PM EDT
[#46]
No interest in straps. I'm more worried about increasing my grip strength. And it will come. Prior to 2 months ago I had never pulled over 455. And prior to about 5-6 months ago I hadn't pulled over 405 much in over 9 months.

Ok, if I'm being transparent...I've got straps but I can't grip the bar adequately with them and can't figure out how to use them otherwise. For reference, I wear a largish small glove or smallish medium...I have girly hands. And yes it's true what they say about hand size.

BTW. I made some bulletproof coffee and blended it with ice and choc carnivor last night. Pretty tasty.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:03:33 PM EDT
[#47]
I had bullet proof coffee this morning. Love that shit, its what im thinking contributed to my 275 split jerk after my workout this morning.

I'll probably make it again tomorrow morning too, heading to a friends gym to play with some atlas stones in prep for a strong man comp my school is doing. Any tips on Atlas stones?
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:34:22 PM EDT
[#48]
Timed hangs...   progress to single hand.

Grip will be fixed.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:36:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RatherBeLifting] [#49]
Originally Posted By ACPjunkie:
Any tips on Atlas stones?
View Quote

Yeah, don't drop them on your toes.  
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 6:45:26 PM EDT
[#50]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KegxTV67uoc

The first time I tried lifting a stone I couldn't even break it off the floor. I went to the computer, watched this vid and then was repping it out with no issues. About all I can offer in the way of technique is get your finger tips as far under as possible.
Page / 769
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top