Page / 769
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 1:34:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By 007Kevin:
Originally Posted By GUNGUY148:
Originally Posted By Hank:
I had never done dead lifts before starting this program, and I flipping love them. AZ-AR beasted that one up- good inspiration for the rest of us.

Keep up with it, and don't forget the deload week- me and a guy at work are doing the program, but he is insisting on not doing the deload unless his body tells him to. EFF THAT! I'm going to stick with the schedule, I figure Wendler knows a lot more what he's talking about than I do.

Yeah. I haven't been doing any deloading and on the 3x5 that I was previously doing it was squats one work out and deads the next. I thought my recovery time sucked but after looking at this program vs the 3x5 I think I was just barly holding on to what gains I had made.

If you weren't doing the de-loading with the 3x5, it's an unfair comparison and you didn't make the best of it.  At the same time, you've been doing that for quite a while so the change to the 5/3/1 is going to be beneficial.

The 3x5 program I was doing didn't have any deloading or light weeks built in to it. I would tell myself I'm gonna take it easy this week and not try to smash any PRs but that didn't work out to well. With 531 having specific weights and reps to do on a light week Im much more likely to follow it. So your right about an apples to oranges comparison but for hard heads like me having someone tell you to lift light is what it's going to take to get it done.

I guess I don't understand why the 531 is any different.  You could come in the next week and say F-it and lift heavy again and you could easily add a de-loading week yourself with whatever 3x5 program you have.

I used to really like your post and thought you gave great input but now I'm not so sure.
Link Posted: 10/11/2011 10:21:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 007Kevin] [#2]
I had never done dead lifts before starting this program, and I flipping love them. AZ-AR beasted that one up- good inspiration for the rest of us.

Keep up with it, and don't forget the deload week- me and a guy at work are doing the program, but he is insisting on not doing the deload unless his body tells him to. EFF THAT! I'm going to stick with the schedule, I figure Wendler knows a lot more what he's talking about than I do.

Yeah. I haven't been doing any deloading and on the 3x5 that I was previously doing it was squats one work out and deads the next. I thought my recovery time sucked but after looking at this program vs the 3x5 I think I was just barly holding on to what gains I had made.

If you weren't doing the de-loading with the 3x5, it's an unfair comparison and you didn't make the best of it.  At the same time, you've been doing that for quite a while so the change to the 5/3/1 is going to be beneficial.

The 3x5 program I was doing didn't have any deloading or light weeks built in to it. I would tell myself I'm gonna take it easy this week and not try to smash any PRs but that didn't work out to well. With 531 having specific weights and reps to do on a light week Im much more likely to follow it. So your right about an apples to oranges comparison but for hard heads like me having someone tell you to lift light is what it's going to take to get it done.

I guess I don't understand why the 531 is any different.  You could come in the next week and say F-it and lift heavy again and you could easily add a de-loading week yourself with whatever 3x5 program you have.

I used to really like your post and thought you gave great input but now I'm not so sure.

I am confused by the previous post that's all, but you can think what you want, that's fine.  

Is it that you didn't have the 3x5 plan written out so you got in there and said screw it and now with the 531 you will have it written out and you'll follow it???

ETA: The 3x5 didn't have set percentages to follow?  Again, trying to get understanding.
Link Posted: 10/12/2011 12:37:43 PM EDT
[#3]

I am confused by the previous post that's all, but you can think what you want, that's fine.  

Is it that you didn't have the 3x5 plan written out so you got in there and said screw it and now with the 531 you will have it written out and you'll follow it???

ETA: The 3x5 didn't have set percentages to follow?  Again, trying to get understanding.

Link Posted: 10/18/2011 9:28:06 PM EDT
[#4]
bump for an update...

You should be into your true 5/3/1 week.  How are you liking it so far?  Any insight or knowledge to share?
Link Posted: 10/18/2011 11:07:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By RatherBeLifting:
bump for an update...

You should be into your true 5/3/1 week.  How are you liking it so far?  Any insight or knowledge to share?

Wow. You been keeping track! Just finished 5/3/1 on deads about an hour ago and did OHP last night. I'm not really feeling like im getting a good work out on the main lifts yet. Over the next couple months when I start adding weight I think the program will be excellent. The high rep accessory work that comes with the boring but big program is smokin me.  Not so much on upper body but 5x10 deadlifts leaves me absolutely wore out. I have never done any high rep squats or deads so I'm sure that has alot to do with it. Cross fitters probably wouldn't have a problem that.

I love the way you work up to one balls out final set on the main lifts. Like I have said before I'm not a real big fan of 1RM but 3-5RM every time I lift is great. I like where this is going.  I'm going for a 500# DL by mid next summer. Its can't believe I just typed that considering just a few years ago I was an overweight vaginal excuse for a man. I feels good!

Sorry for the rambling and bad grammar
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 1:54:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 7:51:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice job!

To be fair, I don't do high rep accessory work on deads.  I feel like I get a better work out if I drop the weight and do multiple sets of 5 and pyramid up to a couple of sets of doubles at something about 20-30lbs less than my heavy lift.  I've never in my life been able to do high rep sets of deads.

The first month I didn't reduce by the 10% he talked about either.  That kicked my ass pretty hard.

Last night I was in my 5/3/1 week of squats.  I didn't feel good about it until I hit rep 2 of the "1".  The "5" and the "3" both felt heavier than they should.  At about rep 2 my confidence caught up and I crushed it for 7 reps.  I didn't do any accessory squat work though.  I dropped down to 280 and I couldn't get my glutes to fire going into the hole.  I dropped down to 250 and 225 and had the same issue.  As I sat back into my squat I just couldn't feel my glutes firing.  I ended up doing leg presses and step-ups.
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 9:36:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I <3 this thread

Link Posted: 10/19/2011 10:25:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/19/2011 11:27:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I swear Wendler should be a motivational speaker or something. Dude is tuned in.

"When I die, I want to go out the same way I came into this world.  Screaming at the top of my lungs and covered in someone else's blood.

––Jim Wendler.
Link Posted: 10/20/2011 8:52:35 AM EDT
[#11]
I swear Wendler should be a motivational speaker or something. Dude is tuned in.

"When I die, I want to go out the same way I came into this world.  Screaming at the top of my lungs and covered in someone else's blood.

––Jim Wendler.

FTMFW!
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 8:22:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I think I need to reset my military press.  I only got 3 reps today and 2 of them were cheating.

Also, decided to go "full paleo/primal" at the beginning of this previous month.  My lifts are great, in fact maybe better, but I don't feel like I can bulk on this diet.  I'll update as I think of things.

Plus this just needs to be bumped from the second page ahead of stupid "stomach workouts".
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 9:49:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Can you drink milk on the paleo?  GOMAD makes bulking easy.
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 10:44:50 PM EDT
[#14]
I think I need to reset my military press.  I only got 3 reps today and 2 of them were cheating.

Also, decided to go "full paleo/primal" at the beginning of this previous month.  My lifts are great, in fact maybe better, but I don't feel like I can bulk on this diet.  I'll update as I think of things.

Plus this just needs to be bumped from the second page ahead of stupid "stomach workouts".

I don't know where you are at on the program, but for me, having issues w/ my mil press is the first sign of not enough recovery... upper body recovers last, and shoulders get hit pretty hard on bench, mpress, and deads...
Link Posted: 10/23/2011 11:19:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Any-Cal:

I don't know where you are at on the program, but for me, having issues w/ my mil press is the first sign of not enough recovery... upper body recovers last, and shoulders get hit pretty hard on bench, mpress, and deads...

I do believe that my recovery has a lot to do with it.  I've struggled a bit on some of my lifts but I seem to "push" through.  It's easy to do with squats and deadlifts.  I have a one year old and she's decided in the last two weeks that 6:00 AM is her wake up time, which is fine if you can plan for it.  I think she's also getting some teeth so she's decided that 11:00 PM, 1:30 AM, 3:30 AM are good times to be comforted.  It reminds me of when she was a newborn since mom and I are taking turns.  
I think the diet maybe all that's saving me at this point.

Dairy is a fringe thing on the paleo/primal, Roland correct me if I'm wrong.  :D  I'd prefer not to get a ton of calories from milk, but it may be the option I choose.  I used to consume carbs after my workouts.  I'd save the good meals for a good workout day.  I decided to just go clean and I feel much better.  I've also watched a lot of the stubborn fat get stripped away.  I just can't consume that many calories from veggie and meat sources without feeling like I'm stuffing myself.  I've got some time to worry about it but I would appreciate any ideas.

Link Posted: 10/24/2011 8:44:55 AM EDT
[#16]

I do believe that my recovery has a lot to do with it.  I've struggled a bit on some of my lifts but I seem to "push" through.  It's easy to do with squats and deadlifts.  I have a one year old and she's decided in the last two weeks that 6:00 AM is her wake up time, which is fine if you can plan for it.  I think she's also getting some teeth so she's decided that 11:00 PM, 1:30 AM, 3:30 AM are good times to be comforted.  It reminds me of when she was a newborn since mom and I are taking turns.  

Dairy is a fringe thing on the paleo/primal, Roland correct me if I'm wrong.  :D  I'd prefer not to get a ton of calories from milk, but it may be the option I choose.  I used to consume carbs after my workouts.  I'd save the good meals for a good workout day.  I decided to just go clean and I feel much better.  I've also watched a lot of the stubborn fat get stripped away.  I just can't consume that many calories from veggie and meat sources without feeling like I'm stuffing myself.  I've got some time to worry about it but I would appreciate any ideas.

Well, you are trying to bulk, right?  Ain't nothing wrong with stuffing yourself in order to do it.  Gotta eat big to get big!
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 1:30:42 PM EDT
[#17]
I start deload week today. At this point I really don't think I need it but I'm am going to stick with the program.

I'm really looking forward to the next few months. Hopefully I can get my pathetic OHP up.
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 1:33:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Originally Posted By AZ-AR15:

Can you drink milk on the paleo? GOMAD makes bulking easy.

Technically no, but it's a gray area IMO...if it doesn't cause you any harm, I'd go ahead and drink it.
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 1:36:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 1:39:16 PM EDT
[#20]

I think I need to reset my military press. I only got 3 reps today and 2 of them were cheating.

Also, decided to go "full paleo/primal" at the beginning of this previous month. My lifts are great, in fact maybe better, but I don't feel like I can bulk on this diet. I'll update as I think of things.

I do believe that my recovery has a lot to do with it. I've struggled a bit on some of my lifts but I seem to "push" through. It's easy to do with squats and deadlifts. I have a one year old and she's decided in the last two weeks that 6:00 AM is her wake up time, which is fine if you can plan for it. I think she's also getting some teeth so she's decided that 11:00 PM, 1:30 AM, 3:30 AM are good times to be comforted. It reminds me of when she was a newborn since mom and I are taking turns.

Dairy is a fringe thing on the paleo/primal, Roland correct me if I'm wrong. :D I'd prefer not to get a ton of calories from milk, but it may be the option I choose. I used to consume carbs after my workouts. I'd save the good meals for a good workout day. I decided to just go clean and I feel much better. I've also watched a lot of the stubborn fat get stripped away. I just can't consume that many calories from veggie and meat sources without feeling like I'm stuffing myself. I've got some time to worry about it but I would appreciate any ideas.

MIssed this, yeah you're right it depends who you ask.

Here's some high calorie ideas:

Nuts- almonds, macadamia. So high in calories and good fats, check out almond butter.

Sweet potatoes- AMAZING for post workout carb replenishment, fairly high cal too (for a veggie). We bake them just like a regular potatoe.

Oils- feel free to take spoonfuls of coconut oil or olive oil. Again, high cal, high fat and an awesome calorie source for guys trying to gain weight on Paleo/Primal. If you can't handle it plain, add it to the delicious sweet potatoes.

As far as milk goes, I'd cut all dairy for a week or two then try drinking a glass a day...what happens? Some people- lactose intolerant or NOT will get digestive...issues...some will get all phlemy, some will just feel shitty. It doesn't seem to do anything to me, so I still have dairy in moderation.
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 3:07:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:
Sweet potatoes- AMAZING for post workout carb replenishment, fairly high cal too (for a veggie). We bake them just like a regular potatoe.

Are those paleo-friendly?  Not that I'm an adherent, but many are.

What about butternut, acorn, or spaghetti squash?  I believe that squash is paleo-eoncouraged.
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 4:08:45 PM EDT
[#22]

Originally Posted By H46Driver:

Originally Posted By RolandofGilead:

Are those paleo-friendly? Not that I'm an adherent, but many are.

What about butternut, acorn, or spaghetti squash? I believe that squash is paleo-eoncouraged.

Yeah, sweet potatoes are paleo friendly, as are all the squashes you mentioned....butternut squash is unreal as well. Roasted in the oven with a tiny bit of honey...SO good.

Really, there isn't much (from my perspective) that isn't Paleo/Primal friendly, and there is even more latitude with Primal. For example, with Primal dairy isn't strictly forbidden, and neither are potatoes or rice. You're just encouranged to experiment to see what these foods do to you, and to eat in moderation because of the high carb content...obviously those who need more carbs could use them as post workout meals. I've done the experimenting, and I've found for whatever reason rice inevitably gives me a stomachache, but dairy doesn't bother me...who knows why.

Link Posted: 10/24/2011 6:55:33 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm in deload as well, and I agree- not really feeling the need to, but sticking to it. I figure I'll get the lifts out of the way quickly and spend more time on the treadmill. I need to get my pathetic BMI down.

I'm also contemplating a cutting diet and see how it works with the program. I know it's counterintuitive, but thinking I have plenty of "stored energy" and I will be keeping some pre and all post workout carbs in. Keeping protein high as normal.

Deload for me today too!  I definitely need it though.

I didn't do a real deload last cycle because I had a bunch of workout days spaced out due to life.
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 7:34:08 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/24/2011 8:37:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RatherBeLifting] [#25]
I'm also contemplating a cutting diet and see how it works with the program. I know it's counterintuitive, but thinking I have plenty of "stored energy" and I will be keeping some pre and all post workout carbs in. Keeping protein high as normal.

What do y'all think about the idea to cut some during 5/3/1? Trying to accomplish too much at once? I would expect to drop a little strength or have slower progress, but if I don't that will be great, too.

http://www.elitefts.com/documents/weight_loss_strength.htm

ETA:  Hot

Link Posted: 10/28/2011 1:35:11 PM EDT
[#26]
This light week has been pretty boring. I'm going to do squats and bench tonight that way I'm at the gym longer than it takes to drive there. I have got quite a bit done around the house and went for a couple bike rides so I haven't been a total lay down Larry.  Next week it's going to be on!
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 1:40:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 2:00:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Think of it as a vacation
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 2:04:27 PM EDT
[#29]
How's things going for everyone else?
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 2:11:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 2:12:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 2:18:51 PM EDT
[#32]
I started back up on it, have been doing med. volume/high intensity for a while before this. Every workout feels like a deload... The upshot is that I can do a bit of accessory work because I still have a bit of energy after the workout. Am doing 2 big lifts, 2 accesssory lifts, and abs and curls on each workout, along with bumping up my cardio some. I am expecting some decent gains with the drop in volume and intensity, then some more gains as I work up the 5/3/1 template. Have to see how things work out. Have been cutting a bit, so I know that is affecting some lifts, but recovery is cake right now, so no worries!
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 2:27:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Wednesday was my last of the heavy workouts.  I got 8 reps of the 1.  I felt really good so I dropped weight and then worked up through some sets of 5,3,3,2,2 to a heavy single that was 25lbs heavier.

I'm not sure what that is going to do.  I'm going into a deload week so I don't think it will effect me too much.
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 3:41:29 PM EDT
[#34]
I started back up on it, have been doing med. volume/high intensity for a while before this. Every workout feels like a deload... The upshot is that I can do a bit of accessory work because I still have a bit of energy after the workout. Am doing 2 big lifts, 2 accesssory lifts, and abs and curls on each workout, along with bumping up my cardio some. I am expecting some decent gains with the drop in volume and intensity, then some more gains as I work up the 5/3/1 template. Have to see how things work out. Have been cutting a bit, so I know that is affecting some lifts, but recovery is cake right now, so no worries!

I know that feeling. Sorta feel like a lazy lifter when you leave the gym not drenched in sweat.
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 3:54:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Wednesday was my last of the heavy workouts.  I got 8 reps of the 1.  I felt really good so I dropped weight and then worked up through some sets of 5,3,3,2,2 to a heavy single that was 25lbs heavier.

I'm not sure what that is going to do.  I'm going into a deload week so I don't think it will effect me too much.

NICE!

I'm really thankful for all of the positive feedback that y'all have for this routine. I probably would have ditched it for something "harder" by now and not give it a fair shot. I am going to commit to at least 4 months of BBB and see where that gets me.
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 4:16:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ-AR15] [#36]
The first cycle is really just to get a feel for the whole routing imo.  Eventually the weights start getting really tough and you'll be more than happy to get 3-4 on the 1 sets.

What type of assistance are you all running?  BBB can be super tough on squat and dead days.

Spreadsheet for 531 on T-Nation

I have my own spreadsheet that is simpler and more printer friendly than that one if anyone is interested
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 4:50:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GUNGUY148] [#37]
The first cycle is really just to get a feel for the whole routing imo.  Eventually the weights start getting really tough and you'll be more than happy to get 3-4 on the 1 sets.

What type of assistance are you all running?  BBB can be super tough on squat and dead days.

Spreadsheet for 531 on T-Nation

I have my own spreadsheet that is simpler and more printer friendly than that one if anyone is interested

You aint wrong!   Doing 5x10 at 50% of calculated max. The deads are MURDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 5:41:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 9:24:01 PM EDT
[#39]

I think you are right about the first cycle, but it also helps build some momentum and confidence too. As you go from higher reps to low reps, it gives you a pretty rounded workout, too. Last time or two I've done it, I kept grinding out the reps, 3 on 3 day, maybe 1 on 1 day, etc. and I think it was a bad idea. I think when I get to that point again, I am going to reset sooner rather than later, as last time it just ran me into the ground bad.

Accessory exercises currently leg extensions, pullups, ab pulldowns, curls, cardio, DB bench, cable twists, weighted leg raises, split up between workouts. Mostly trying to keep bigger movements fresh, balance out some of the big movements, and keep a strong core.

Everything is easily subject to change, especially if I start eating more...
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 10:52:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Think of it as a vacation

It's just play time.  This just hit me as I was folding clothes and trying to decide if I was going to do accessory work next week.  If I was going to do accessory work I need to make sure it's light so I can deload properly...

Who cares.  Just play.  The whole goal is to give yourself some down time so you come back amped up.  Wendler had it right when he said "Don't ask questions about schemes and reps...just do it...just do something.".

All hail Wendler.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 9:05:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Came back strong after deloading today.  I'm running 531 for Powerlifting so my cycles are structured 351.  

Warm Ups
5 min on elliptical
45x8
135x8
225x5
295x3
Working Sets
345x3
395x3
445x6 (PR)
Accessory sets
315x10x2
225x10x3
Hamstring Curls
5 sets of 10 (didn't pay attention to weight)

Followed by 15 minutes on the elliptical for some light conditioning.  Came pretty close to puking during my squat accessory sets.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 9:11:11 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 9:58:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Yesterday was deload day.

I did my bench set and did some light incline dumbell at 80lbs.  Then I just went into the gym and shot hoops.  Played some basketball.  I can stil take those young fuckers to town on the court.  Nobody wants to play defense anymore.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 10:28:30 PM EDT
[#44]

I did my bench set and did some light incline dumbell at 80lbs.  Then I just went into the gym and shot hoops.  Played some basketball.  I can stil take those young fuckers to town on the court.  Nobody wants to play defense anymore.

In school I was loved for my defense skills . I couldn't get the ball through the hoop for nuthin. I swear the ball is bigger than the basket.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 10:45:54 PM EDT
[#45]

In school I was loved for my defense skills . I couldn't get the ball through the hoop for nuthin. I swear the ball is bigger than the basket.

You can play on my team any time!.  In a pick-up game of 5v5 you've got 25 guys thinking they are Jordan and can put the ball up from anywhere.  Just stay home in the lane so you can keep the trash out.  It's easy to win.  

Either pick the biggest guy on the team and always be between him and the "hot shot" or pick the worst guy and just clog up the lane.
Link Posted: 10/31/2011 10:50:57 PM EDT
[#46]
I can clog up the lane with the best of them
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 8:28:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AZ-AR15] [#47]
Alright you off topic mouth breathers, how about some 5/3/1 T-Shirts?
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 11:08:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Alright you off topic mouth breathers, how about some 5/3/1 T-Shirts?

A size large shirt is to big for me
Link Posted: 11/1/2011 11:24:39 PM EDT
[#49]
yeah, and I don't like black.  It doesn't compliment my vibrams.  

I want all the shirts!!!11
Link Posted: 11/2/2011 1:52:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 769
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top