[#1]
May 2021 bring you all the gains

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 1:33:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 9:56:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 10:02:04 AM EDT
[#4]
With gyms being closed everywhere I wonder how the resolutioners are going to be obnoxious to regulars.

Probably see a lot of them jogging or rucking on popular trails, or biking in the middle of the damn road.
Link Posted: 1/1/2021 5:23:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:
With gyms being closed everywhere I wonder how the resolutioners are going to be obnoxious to regulars.

Probably see a lot of them jogging or rucking on popular trails, or biking in the middle of the damn road.
View Quote
I skipped the gym today specifically to miss all that silliness.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:32:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By ACPjunkie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw_dJYd_dCE
View Quote

Damn, made it look easy.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 12:33:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KaiK] [#7]

View Quote

Gyms not closed here.

Last year not many new people showed up. I think they have given up.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 4:19:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By KaiK:

Gyms not closed here.

View Quote

I have no idea how the gyms are back home. I'm intending to put together a garage gym, but the price of weights is going to be steep.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 4:46:00 PM EDT
[#9]

Damn, made it look easy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gw_dJYd_dCE

Damn, made it look easy.

No shit.

I’m always impressed by guys who can grip & rip deadlifts at any weight. I take waaay longer than that to set up and get ready to pull, even for warmups.
Link Posted: 1/3/2021 6:12:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I do all my thinking before I walk up to the bar

Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:10:23 AM EDT
[#11]

I have no idea how the gyms are back home. I'm intending to put together a garage gym, but the price of weights is going to be steep.
View Quote

Yep. Weights are expensive.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 1:38:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UTex86] [#12]

View All Quotes

I just looked at Rogue plates on ebay, it's insane.

Tons of sellers with the plates in the boxes, not even trying to pretend they aren't just sitting on Rogue's site, buying when something is in stock, then relisting it on ebay.

Frustrating when I'm just trying to find a pair of 5lb plates

Attachment Attached File

I'll just have to keep watching. I've managed to get ~500lbs in plates from Rogue since June or so but change plates seem unobotanium (unless you want 0.25#).

I'm not stuck on Rogue, I just don't want some cheap chinesium stuff (tbf some Rogue stuff is made in chyna) with casting marks on the ID of the plate and such an oversized ID on top of that they rattle around like crazy. I got some 2.5# CAP plates at Academy and they are all over the place on actual weight, from 2.1# to 2.8#. Not that it matters all that much, but still. Out of the 6 I bought not one is actually 2.5#

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/4/2021 3:51:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By UTex86:

Tons of sellers with the plates in the boxes, not even trying to pretend they aren't just sitting on Rogue's site, buying when something is in stock, then relisting it on ebay.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/161410/2021-01-04_11_37_31-rogue_fitness_in_Wei-1763488.JPG

I'll just have to keep watching. I've managed to get ~500lbs in plates from Rogue since June or so but change plates seem unobotanium (unless you want 0.25#).

I'm not stuck on Rogue, I just don't want some cheap chinesium stuff (tbf some Rogue stuff is made in chyna) with casting marks on the ID of the plate and such an oversized ID on top of that they rattle around like crazy. I got some 2.5# CAP plates at Academy and they are all over the place on actual weight, from 2.1# to 2.8#. Not that it matters all that much, but still. Out of the 6 I bought not one is actually 2.5#

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/161410/2021-01-04_11_46_56-rogue_fitness_in_Wei-1763498.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/161410/2021-01-04_11_48_07-rogue_fitness_in_Wei-1763499.JPG

View Quote

Wow. That's an insane mark-up on the 5's
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 4:07:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Found a "Valor" brand rack on Craigslist, sent the link to the wife and she asked how much it was worth. So now I have a $600 power rack in the garage that we are only into about $300. Now to find a bar... and weights. weights are going to suck.

I'm thinking if I can find 2 or 4 hundo pounders itll make the total cost a bit more palatable.

I'm pretty excited. I'm sitting on the other side of the world and the wife is holding up a full house, a real job and nursing school, and she has the energy to pick up a power rack on her limited free time.

Link Posted: 1/4/2021 4:09:52 PM EDT
[#15]
These guys are at least taking orders for 5's:

https://store.thestrength.co/collections/barbell-equipment/products/olympic-barbell-plates?variant=32512143097910

Might still take a month to get but it sounds like they fit the bar pretty snug.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 4:30:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By BASE:
These guys are at least taking orders for 5's:

https://store.thestrength.co/collections/barbell-equipment/products/olympic-barbell-plates?variant=32512143097910

Might still take a month to get but it sounds like they fit the bar pretty snug.
View Quote

This appears to be exactly what I’m looking for, thanks!

Made in USA and not outrageously expensive.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 5:32:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Caboose314] [#17]
If you guys have a steel shop nearby that is hurting with slow buisiness ask if they will make weight plates.

I had 4x 45lb plates made for ~$70 a piece from 1" steel plate scrap.  It wasnt the deal of the century, but they turned out nice and were cheaper than what rusty used cast iron was selling for locally.  Thats with the inflated prices in Los Angeles, you guys in manufacturing friendly areas might be able to get them made for less.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 7:08:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Caboose314:
If you guys have a steel shop nearby that is hurting with slow buisiness ask if they will make weight plates.

I had 4x 45lb plates made for ~$70 a piece from 1" steel plate scrap.  It wasnt the deal of the century, but they turned out nice and were cheaper than what rusty used cast iron was selling for locally.  Thats with the inflated prices in Los Angeles, you guys in manufacturing friendly areas might be able to get them made for less.
View Quote

Cool. Can you post any pics of them so we can see how they turned out
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 7:19:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By LoneCoyoteHunter:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By LoneCoyoteHunter:

In for pics, also.
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 7:21:47 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

How close to 45 was the finished weight?
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 9:37:35 PM EDT
[#21]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/161410/2021-01-04_11_37_31-rogue_fitness_in_Wei-1763488.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/161410/2021-01-04_11_46_56-rogue_fitness_in_Wei-1763498.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/161410/2021-01-04_11_48_07-rogue_fitness_in_Wei-1763499.JPG

View Quote

I didn't know there were mill spec weights.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2021 10:45:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Caboose314] [#22]
Potato pics:
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

OD of the plate is 14 3/8" (not sure what steel they are).  They are close in diameter to my cast iron 35s, and smaller than the 45s.  Bottom left of the top pic you can see 2 of them with a cast iron 45lb plate behind them.  There's some slop around the bar, but I don't notice it when lifting.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 6:43:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GUNGUY148] [#23]

View All Quotes

Gyms not closed here.

Price is steep and availability is limited.

Rogues website has a notify me when in stock button, you gotta be fast though lol.

I have 2 25# bumper plates that should arrive today.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 6:47:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Potato pics:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/187062/20210104_183654_jpg-1764437.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/187062/20210104_183725_jpg-1764439.JPG

OD of the plate is 14 3/8" (not sure what steel they are).  They are close in diameter to my cast iron 35s, and smaller than the 45s.  Bottom left of the top pic you can see 2 of them with a cast iron 45lb plate behind them.  There's some slop around the bar, but I don't notice it when lifting.
View Quote

Thats a nice looking plate. The diameter being off is less than great but could be worked around pretty easily. Thanks for the pic and ideas.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 8:02:52 AM EDT
[#25]
Not mine. Might be helpful for some of you guys looking for plates:
https://ironscanner.com/items/plates

Someone over on the ss forums put that together. I bookmarked and forgot about it until now.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:35:17 AM EDT
[#26]
Potato pics:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/187062/20210104_183654_jpg-1764437.JPG

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/187062/20210104_183725_jpg-1764439.JPG

View Quote

Nice.
I like a little clang when lifting
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 3:21:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UTex86] [#27]
Found a "Valor" brand rack on Craigslist, sent the link to the wife and she asked how much it was worth. So now I have a $600 power rack in the garage that we are only into about $300. Now to find a bar... and weights. weights are going to suck.

I'm thinking if I can find 2 or 4 hundo pounders itll make the total cost a bit more palatable.

I'm pretty excited. I'm sitting on the other side of the world and the wife is holding up a full house, a real job and nursing school, and she has the energy to pick up a power rack on her limited free time.

View Quote

@ACPjunkie

Rogue has their echo bumpers in stock, all weights.

These are fairly economical (in today's market anyway). You'll get killed with shipping cost though.

https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-mil-echo-bumper-plates-black

@KaiK they are mil spec, you know you want to load up
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 6:55:18 PM EDT
[#28]
saw the Rogue plates in stock.. damn things are not cheap.

I think I want one set of decent rubber plates, maybe 2 if I can find a deal. Then I can collect rando pairs of #45's for skwatz and deads. In a perfect world I'd like a couple sets of the Rogue "Deep Dish" #100's, all that moving of weight plates around gets tiresome.

Anyone got good plans for a deadlift platform? Should I integrate the rack into the platform and bolt it all together, or leave the rack and platform as two pieces.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 9:01:38 PM EDT
[#29]

I think I want one set of decent rubber plates, maybe 2 if I can find a deal. Then I can collect rando pairs of #45's for skwatz and deads. In a perfect world I'd like a couple sets of the Rogue "Deep Dish" #100's, all that moving of weight plates around gets tiresome.

Anyone got good plans for a deadlift platform? Should I integrate the rack into the platform and bolt it all together, or leave the rack and platform as two pieces.
View Quote

This is what I based mine on

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 11:41:08 AM EDT
[#30]

View Quote

Bolting the rack to the platform has the advantage of keeping the thing from scooting around. You could also just bolt the rack to the floor. Or you could just let it scoot around -not a big deal as long as it's a not a really flimsy rack. I've done it all 3 ways before. Kinda depends on your layout and how lazy you want to be. I'm lazy and my current setup is just a  4x8 DL platform and I keep a dedicated bar with a couple 100's loaded on it.

Either way it's just a couple layers of 3/4" plywood with stall mats on top and usually a 4' wide piece of plywood to stand on.

4x8 platform:
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 3:08:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Maybe the used weights market finally peaked a little.

Just noticed a few listing on marketplace that have been sitting there for a few weeks. Between $1 - $1.75 lb with little to no action looks like.

The guy with the 1.75 listing has piles of weight too, looks like it was used commercially.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 3:51:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Do I want to be able to attach rubber bands for a deadlift platform? kind of want the ability for bench and squat work, but its integrated into the power rack itself.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 8:27:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Week 3 of the cycle continues to be good to me for PRs.

Squat 460x2
Bench 355x2
DL 525x2

Maybe 600/500/400 is attainable someday.
Link Posted: 1/6/2021 9:11:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By grady:

Squat 460x2
Bench 355x2
DL 525x2

View Quote
Thats good weights

Link Posted: 1/7/2021 1:46:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Kabuki plates are in stock.
Bring your wallet.

Kabuki
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 8:58:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: KaiK] [#36]

@ACPjunkie

Rogue has their echo bumpers in stock, all weights.

These are fairly economical (in today's market anyway). You'll get killed with shipping cost though.

https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-mil-echo-bumper-plates-black

@KaiK they are mil spec, you know you want to load up
View Quote

I only use competition bumpers.  Need another set of 55#.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 9:01:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Do I want to be able to attach rubber bands for a deadlift platform? kind of want the ability for bench and squat work, but its integrated into the power rack itself.
View Quote

Do you usually use bands.

Im scared to use them on squat or bench.  
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 9:59:43 AM EDT
[#38]

Squat 460x2
Bench 355x2
DL 525x2

View Quote

Sweet work there.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 10:02:30 AM EDT
[#39]
Attachment Attached File

Basement gym is close to being operational, still waiting on the rogue bench I ordered 12/6. I'll finish drilling holes in the rack when it arrives.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 12:30:30 PM EDT
[#40]

Do you usually use bands.

Im scared to use them on squat or bench.  
View Quote
I've used chains on everything BUT deadlift. But I've been watching some MBT power videos talking about about banded deads, and I think it might be something nice to have.

And by nice I mean something that would totally suck
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 5:57:42 PM EDT
[#41]
How many reps do y’all seem to get on week three AMRAPs?

Link Posted: 1/7/2021 6:07:22 PM EDT
[#42]
2 typically if I start with a pretty good top end max rep to base the programming off of, sometimes 3 or 4 but that's not typical.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 6:24:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By naes:

View Quote

I’m on my 25h cycle, so I’ve pretty much exhausted my capacity for AMRAPS. I rarely get more than 1 extra rep anymore. Sometimes, I don’t get any.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 9:53:19 PM EDT
[#44]

I’m on my 25h cycle, so I’ve pretty much exhausted my capacity for AMRAPS. I rarely get more than 1 extra rep anymore. Sometimes, I don’t get any.
View All Quotes

Aren't you supposed to consider a reset when your AMRAP starts to fall close to or at the minimum?
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 10:04:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Think I need to adjust my numbers.  
I’ve been in the 6 to 8 rep range in week 3.
Link Posted: 1/7/2021 10:15:34 PM EDT
[#46]

Aren't you supposed to consider a reset when your AMRAP starts to fall close to or at the minimum?
View All Quotes

Could be. I’d have to look at the books again. But I haven’t been too worried about it because I’m still hitting PRs.

Plus, I’m a FOG, so volume kicks my ass. I don’t complain too much about not getting in a high amount of AMRAPs.
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 12:22:46 PM EDT
[#47]
Since that comp I've been dicking around in the gym, no programming or even a given plan for the workout. Part of that is that back issue I'm leary about and part is knowing that there isnt anyway I'm going to make my goal of 1500lbs while I'm out here. Such is life

However,

Today I hit what is probably an all time PR on Bench, 4x315, followed by a 2x325 and then several sets of doubles at 315. So my bench is rocking right along now.

Maybe next week I see what my deadlifts are looking like. I've still been squatting but I've moved to a much more low bar-wide stance than what I was doing when I hit my 515lb single. Seems to put less stress on the back and maybe a change up isnt the worst thing I could be doing.

Side note, got a class date for a new MOS if I make it through the pipeline, so now I need to get less heavy and more lean and runny(ing) I hate running
Link Posted: 1/8/2021 3:36:27 PM EDT
[#48]
I've used chains on everything BUT deadlift. But I've been watching some MBT power videos talking about about banded deads, and I think it might be something nice to have.

And by nice I mean something that would totally suck
View Quote

Yes. Looks super awful.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2021 10:32:02 PM EDT
[#49]
First deadlifts of 2021, and the first since pulling whatever muscle I pulled.

1x500 top end

worked 335lbs from a 2, 4 and a 6in deficit

hit 2 sets of rack pulls with the top set being at 500lb also

I'm not where I was, but I'm not doing too bad either. I will say that 500lb was slow and creaky, but thats ok for today.
Link Posted: 1/11/2021 9:40:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Looking at joining in on the 531 train here.

Currently in the mid/late beginner phase, made some recent progress after hitting a solid plateau early this year. Got on TRT a few months back, which has helped me get past the plateaus, but still have pretty poor numbers, although still seeing improvement.

42y/o, 200# bodyweight. 110x8 OHP, 185x9 Bench, 215x8 squat, 290x6 deadlift.

Currently on a cut, but will be starting to mass again in about 3-4 weeks.

Looking at doing the next several months with 531 "boring but big", variant #2.

Heard some positives about the program, but it seems low on "hard" sets. Is it really that effective?
Page / 769
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top