BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 769
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 8:27:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:

I ended up going down a rabbit hole. I was looking at the SkillMill because you can set it up to do prowler pushes on it, and I don't want to run outside in the winter.

That led me to all the available options.

You can get what looks identical to a SkillMill shipped to your door from China for like 2 grand. The shipping is a grand alone.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ACPjunkie:
Why do you suppose the Air Runner, Trueform and other similar treadmills cost so much? It looks like almost all of them are imported.

I looked on alibaba, you can buy a single unit that looks nearly identical to any of them of less than half the price....even with insane shipping costs.

I'm just trying to find one to try out, the only place for Crossfit stuff shut down, and that seemed like the only place that would have one.
treadmills? We dont need no stinkin treadmills!!

Seriously, IDK. I use post gym equipment or run when I have to.

I ended up going down a rabbit hole. I was looking at the SkillMill because you can set it up to do prowler pushes on it, and I don't want to run outside in the winter.

You can get what looks identical to a SkillMill shipped to your door from China for like 2 grand. The shipping is a grand alone.

What's a skillmill run price wise
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 8:36:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 9:42:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Broken thread bump.

Link Posted: 11/1/2020 10:30:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I've got enough time here to run Cube again. So I might not get there quick but I'm going to blow past the 1500lb mark before I bounce.

I'll be more particular about diet though, no mas french toast at midnight chow.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 10:08:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: UTex86] [#5]
I've got enough time here to run Cube again. So I might not get there quick but I'm going to blow past the 1500lb mark before I bounce.

I'll be more particular about diet though, no mas french toast at midnight chow.
View Quote

Switch to chicken and waffles for more protons

Link Posted: 11/2/2020 10:14:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By LoneCoyoteHunter:

View All Quotes
Why do you suppose the Air Runner, Trueform and other similar treadmills cost so much? It looks like almost all of them are imported.

I looked on alibaba, you can buy a single unit that looks nearly identical to any of them of less than half the price....even with insane shipping costs.

I'm just trying to find one to try out, the only place for Crossfit stuff shut down, and that seemed like the only place that would have one.

Looks like about 9 grand.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 10:54:38 AM EDT
[#7]

View All Quotes

Guess I'll stick with the standard ones at the gym
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 11:12:19 AM EDT
[#8]

View All Quotes

I might just snag a normal one from a fat lady on marketplace that was sure she was going to get in shape this year.

At the very least I can use it for the dogs in the off season.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 12:57:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Decided to bump all my 1RM calculations for 5/3/1 to what they are currently coming out to since my plus-sets were ending up in the 13-15 range, and restart.

Did OHP today, which I bumped the 1RM from 180 to 208 (based on getting 145 for 13 last week).

Restarted with 5/5/5+ this week and got 10 with 160, which seems more appropriate (208*0.9 = 187.2 training max, 187.2*0.85 = ~160). 10 reps at 160 calculates to a ~213 1RM which is more in line with what it should be, I think.  

If I can keep up with the program my first workout with 225 on OHP should be in July. Seems a long way away but I want that 2-plate OHP!

I have a feeling I'll get impatient and just see if I can get it pretty soon

More plates more dates!
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 2:13:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grady] [#10]
Originally Posted By UTex86:
Decided to bump all my 1RM calculations for 5/3/1 to what they are currently coming out to since my plus-sets were ending up in the 13-15 range, and restart.

Did OHP today, which I bumped the 1RM from 180 to 208 (based on getting 145 for 13 last week).

Restarted with 5/5/5+ this week and got 10 with 160, which seems more appropriate (208*0.9 = 187.2 training max, 187.2*0.85 = ~160). 10 reps at 160 calculates to a ~213 1RM which is more in line with what it should be, I think.  

If I can keep up with the program my first workout with 225 on OHP should be in July. Seems a long way away but I want that 2-plate OHP!

More plates more dates!
View Quote

I’m chasing the same goal for OHP but I keep hitting the wall at 205 and then falling back badly. I haven’t even hit 200 since spring. I guess a good number for press is 70% of bench. That should put me at 245 but, at this point, that might as well be 2,045. Not happening.

I’ve got to work on my form to keep the bar from getting too far forward. My shoulder mobility sucks but is getting better.

Plus, I don’t think 531 has been giving me enough work at the higher weights. I’ve switched it up so that I’m doing the top set x3. And I’ve increased the BBB weight (which I do in bench day) to the same as my Week-1 weight.

That, plus using 2.5-lb jumps, seems to be working. My pace will have me right behind you for 2 plates in August if it keeps working.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 3:31:22 PM EDT
[#11]

Switch to chicken and waffles for more protons

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/190307-chicken-and-waffles-508-1553552447.jpg
View Quote
They only serve chicken and waffles on Sundays while I'm sleeping

But 5 egg scrambled with a few ether protein types are easy enough to live on for midrats and such. I've got a problem with sleeping when I eat too much for my dinner (other peoples breakfast) so I tend to down bout 5 boiled eggs and call it done.

Now that I'm tracking my food intake I really need to pump up the protein. Im barely making it day to day. I need to down about 10 eggs a day for 60 grams, maybe 2 50gram protein shakes and try to get the rest via Tuna packets or whatever other protein chow serves.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 5:20:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UTex86] [#12]
Originally Posted By grady:

I’m chasing the same goal for OHP but I keep hitting the wall at 205 and then falling back badly. I haven’t even hit 200 since spring. I guess a good number for press is 70% of bench. That should put me at 245 but, at this point, that might as well be 2,045. Not happening.

I’ve got to work on my form to keep the bar from getting too far forward. My shoulder mobility sucks but is getting better.

Plus, I don’t think 531 has been giving me enough work at the higher weights. I’ve switched it up so that I’m doing the top set x3. And I’ve increased the BBB weight (which I do in bench day) to the same as my Week-1 weight.

That, plus using 2.5-lb jumps, seems to be working. My pace will have me right behind you for 2 plates in August if it keeps working.
View All Quotes

More plates more dates!

I don't know what accessories you're doing, but I have done / currently do a lot of DB laterals, facepulls, upright rows, and trap/upper back work. Seems to help keep my shoulders healthy and mobile (or maybe I'm just lucky/good shoulder health genetics). This stuff might help with pushing through the window and keeping the bar back.

Also as I warm up, with the lighter weights I will lean forward as much as I can with the weight locked out, and really get a big stretch in the front shoulder girdle/chest area. Feels good.

Like this but with a narrow pressing grip and even more stretch.

I also have done / currently do a lot of dips, incline BB and DB bench, and close grip bench.

My 5th workout of the week is a "free day" - I just go in and do whatever I feel like. Usually just go heavy-ish (like a 2 or 3 RM) on something I haven't gone heavy on in a while (last week it was incline barbell bench, which is one of my favorite lifts) then get a sick full body pump with some light weight high rep supersets

Helps keep things interesting and scratches my bodybuilding itch. And who doesn't love a good pump

Link Posted: 11/2/2020 5:42:15 PM EDT
[#13]
When I’ve pushed my OHP to 225 I did a lot of upper back work and klokov presses. The first time I neglected by bis and had massive tendinitis. So I started wearing elbow sleeves and doing some chins and/or curls.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 7:18:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Do any of you guys use an intra-workout carb drink?

Originally Posted By frayedknot:
When I’ve pushed my OHP to 225 I did a lot of upper back work and klokov presses. The first time I neglected by bis and had massive tendinitis. So I started wearing elbow sleeves and doing some chins and/or curls.
View Quote

I haven't done klokov presses in a while. Maybe I should add them in the mix.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 7:41:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ACPjunkie] [#15]
Klokov Press's were cool here a few years ago. I think I worked up to a whole 90lbs

I should do more Klokov Press's.

As an aside, my old Platoon Sgt hosted Klokov at his gym a few weeks ago. I'm both impressed and jealous.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 7:42:52 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

Like a big ol' glass of milk?
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 8:04:54 PM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By frayedknot:

No. Cold water only during the lift.

I carb up 45 min to an hour before the lift. And take a caffeine pill.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 12:30:04 PM EDT
[#18]

I don't know what accessories you're doing, but I have done / currently do a lot of DB laterals, facepulls, upright rows, and trap/upper back work. Seems to help keep my shoulders healthy and mobile (or maybe I'm just lucky/good shoulder health genetics). This stuff might help with pushing through the window and keeping the bar back.

Also as I warm up, with the lighter weights I will lean forward as much as I can with the weight locked out, and really get a big stretch in the front shoulder girdle/chest area. Feels good.

https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/crossfitsantacruz/oldsitearchive/gist5847312-8444b47f1ac093d40461ddfb6c7ed57c16ef2522/images/www.crossfitsantacruz.com/.a/6a00d834515d6769e2012877860f51970c-500wi

I also have done / currently do a lot of dips, incline BB and DB bench, and close grip bench.

My 5th workout of the week is a "free day" - I just go in and do whatever I feel like. Usually just go heavy-ish (like a 2 or 3 RM) on something I haven't gone heavy on in a while (last week it was incline barbell bench, which is one of my favorite lifts) then get a sick full body pump with some light weight high rep supersets

Helps keep things interesting and scratches my bodybuilding itch. And who doesn't love a good pump

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/pDizMjU-IUOgvJRUEKjxdodZBt4m8gPmFNnZX-hB56_b--JtGfd0QmE3wG5YACr6IqxRBnDbL3izYpYSDbGQOLGDKVO-0FLWw5qF3ho71Y5TuYXTYitd-EvFLh0mT9uilWa2OXQr79CQvMDQmE3s58FwU8t4T21u3Pw
View All Quotes

More plates more dates!

https://s3-us-west-1.amazonaws.com/crossfitsantacruz/oldsitearchive/gist5847312-8444b47f1ac093d40461ddfb6c7ed57c16ef2522/images/www.crossfitsantacruz.com/.a/6a00d834515d6769e2012877860f51970c-500wi

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/proxy/pDizMjU-IUOgvJRUEKjxdodZBt4m8gPmFNnZX-hB56_b--JtGfd0QmE3wG5YACr6IqxRBnDbL3izYpYSDbGQOLGDKVO-0FLWw5qF3ho71Y5TuYXTYitd-EvFLh0mT9uilWa2OXQr79CQvMDQmE3s58FwU8t4T21u3Pw

I haven’t been doing too many accessories. Weighted dips fairly regularly and chins sporadically. I have to get more chins in.

That’s about the same arm angle I’m capable of overhead...only my arms go forward instead of back.

Actually, with some work over a few weeks, I think I may finally be getting close to directly overhead.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 12:32:31 PM EDT
[#19]

I haven’t been doing too many accessories. Weighted dips fairly regularly and chins sporadically. I have to get more chins in.

That’s about the same arm angle I’m capable of overhead...only my arms go forward instead of back.

Actually, with some work over a few weeks, I think I may finally be getting close to directly overhead.
View All Quotes

More plates more dates!

Hang a broomstick from the ceiling. Grab it and walk forward until you raise your arms to the limit. Slowly stretch beyond the limit every day.

Theoretically this will help with shoulder mobility.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 5:10:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Attachment Attached File

SCORE.

95kg of plates for 230$

A buck.10/# is pretty good any time, great during covid.

Now, IF THEY WILL ALL FIT ON MY PINS, I should be able to load a full dinnie weight.

Link Posted: 11/3/2020 6:21:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By therex:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/223482/PXL_20201103_174711301_PORTRAIT_jpg-1667682.JPG

SCORE.

95kg of plates for 230$

A buck.10/# is pretty good any time, great during covid.

Now, IF THEY WILL ALL FIT ON MY PINS, I should be able to load a full dinnie weight.

View Quote

Neat!
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 11:14:22 AM EDT
[#22]
I dont know if it was lack of sleep, lack if eating something before or election drama had me distracted. But I died. Basically just checked the box for everything after the pause squats.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/4/2020 11:40:15 AM EDT
[#23]
I dont know if it was lack of sleep, lack if eating something before or election drama had me distracted. But I died. Basically just checked the box for everything after the pause squats.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/169843/Screenshot_20201104-154429_Sheets_jpg-1669222.JPG
View Quote

Weird same for me.

Got up to 245x11 on bench (which is a calculated 1RM PR) and was gassed from there on.

Also wasn't able to release the usual morning kraken before the workout.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 4:50:10 PM EDT
[#24]
I went to do legs. Opened up the back of my truck and no belt. Went in the gym to see if I left it there, but no luck. Went back to the house and can't find that thing anywhere. I must have left it and someone snagged it.

At least it will be easy to spot as I'm the only one with a lever belt, and the years of indents from being set at a sub 32" waist will make it obvious it's mine. Unless some chick stole it....
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 5:02:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Got my Stoic shit in @kaik

couldnt wait to get off work so I hit the gym at the compound.

Link Posted: 11/5/2020 5:32:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Got my Stoic shit in @kaik

couldnt wait to get off work so I hit the gym at the compound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sUV9y31KPo
View Quote

Yeah, buddy.  How do the elbow ones feel?
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 5:36:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By KaiK:

Yeah, buddy.  How do the elbow ones feel?
View Quote
zero issues, these suckers are tight though. I'm looking forward to next weeks squat session to play with the knee sleeves.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 5:39:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Thor:
I went to do legs. Opened up the back of my truck and no belt. Went in the gym to see if I left it there, but no luck. Went back to the house and can't find that thing anywhere. I must have left it and someone snagged it.

At least it will be easy to spot as I'm the only one with a lever belt, and the years of indents from being set at a sub 32" waist will make it obvious it's mine. Unless some chick stole it....
View Quote

Bruh, jacking someones belt is loooooow.

I'm particular about my belt, steal my rack, or my bar or whatever, sure. fair game. Take my belt? Best be prepared to answer for it.

I think alot of people dont realize people who take lifting seriously go buy their own, those arent gym belts for who evers use.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 6:50:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 7:06:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By bcauz3y:

Glad I'm not the only one who gets a little wonky when I get fatigued on ohp.
View Quote
Yeah.. last few were weird.

programming called for 5+, so I'll take it.

They must have used the ASVAB waivers as the man power to bolt the gym rack together because all the uprights except for the ones I used had the holes on the wrong sides so the J-cups wouldnt fit. I def tapped the top of the rack a few times at full extension
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 10:00:50 PM EDT
[#31]
zero issues, these suckers are tight though. I'm looking forward to next weeks squat session to play with the knee sleeves.
View Quote

Oh yeah they are super tight.  If you bend your knees when you are sitting after a set your legs will start to go numb.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 10:01:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Thor:

View Quote

Woah that sucks.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 11:40:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Part if the reason I wanted a brighter, non neutral tone belt that is very obviously not your belt, belt.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 11:44:40 PM EDT
[#34]
Newb question about belts.  I have a pioneer arriving tomorrow, and I've never worn a belt while lifting.  Do I want it snug between my belly button and my rib cage to brace against?  I'm currently doing stronglifts (so deads, bench, OHP, squats, bent over row).  Should I use it for all of these, or just squats/deadlift?
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 11:55:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: grady] [#35]
Originally Posted By Caboose314:
Newb question about belts.  I have a pioneer arriving tomorrow, and I've never worn a belt while lifting.  Do I want it snug between my belly button and my rib cage to brace against?  I'm currently doing stronglifts (so deads, bench, OHP, squats, bent over row).  Should I use it for all of these, or just squats/deadlift?
View Quote

It might be slightly different depending on the lift, your build, and whether it’s a 3 or 4-inch belt.

If you wear it too high against your ribs when squatting, you might have an issue. I smashed a rib up pretty good when I did that and squatting sucked ass for weeks after that.

Deadlifting is a bit different. I can wear the belt higher up but the 3-inch belt is nice for not getting in the way at the bottom.

For OHP, no issues with smashing ribs. Find what’s comfortable and go with that.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 12:11:17 AM EDT
[#36]

It might be slightly different depending on the lift, your build, and whether it's a 3 or 4-inch belt.

If you wear it to high against your ribs when squatting, you might have an issue. I smashed a rib up pretty good when I did that and squatting sucked ass for weeks after that.

Deadlifting is a bit different. I can wear the belt higher up bit the 3-inch belt is nice for not getting in the way at the bottom.

For OHP, no issues with smashing ribs. Find what's comfortable and go with that.
View Quote
This is pretty much it.

Your build and the belts size and style will need to mesh. Where it somewhere around your middle, but its position can change depending on your squat style and depth. I generally like it a touch higher on deads but not greatly so.

Go use it, find out where it pinches
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 12:15:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Caboose314] [#37]
This is pretty much it.

Your build and the belts size and style will need to mesh. Where it somewhere around your middle, but its position can change depending on your squat style and depth. I generally like it a touch higher on deads but not greatly so.

View All Quotes

It might be slightly different depending on the lift, your build, and whether it's a 3 or 4-inch belt.

If you wear it to high against your ribs when squatting, you might have an issue. I smashed a rib up pretty good when I did that and squatting sucked ass for weeks after that.

Deadlifting is a bit different. I can wear the belt higher up bit the 3-inch belt is nice for not getting in the way at the bottom.

For OHP, no issues with smashing ribs. Find what's comfortable and go with that.
This is pretty much it.

I appreciate the input!  It sounds like I should experiment with it for each lift at a lighter weight to find what's comfortable throughout each movement.  Thats probably better than the idea I had in my head that I'd buckle it on and just go for it tomorrow
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 12:18:03 AM EDT
[#38]

I appreciate the input!  It sounds like I should experiment with it for each lift at a lighter weight to find what's comfortable throughout each movement.  Thats probably better than the idea I had in my head that I'd buckle it on and just go for it tomorrow
View All Quotes

This is pretty much it.

Is it a 3 or 4-inch belt?

How tall are you?
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 12:27:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 12:27:26 AM EDT
[#40]

How tall are you?
View Quote

It's a 4 inch, and I'm 6'5".  Sounds like it could be similar to holsters and I'll want to try a few?
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 12:28:00 AM EDT
[#41]

I'd buckle it on and just go for it tomorrow
View Quote
I do this method. personally

It's not going to hinder anything really to put it on during your regular sets and see how it feels.

Rest assured, if it pinches you'll know it. I've got welts from my belt where it pinched the shit out of my skin over my hips when I was doing Oly squats.

Link Posted: 11/6/2020 12:32:24 AM EDT
[#42]

It's a 4 inch, and I'm 6'5".  Sounds like it could be similar to holsters and I'll want to try a few?
View All Quotes

How tall are you?

At your height, you’ll be fine just throwing it on and messing with how tight feels right.

Wear it a touch low for squats so you don’t smash your ribs.

On DL, you’ll end up wearing it higher so it doesn’t interfere with your set up. A 3-inch is really nice for DL, but at your height, it won’t make much difference...unless you’re one of those guys with stilt legs and a really short torso.

Link Posted: 11/6/2020 11:54:26 AM EDT
[#43]

Bruh, jacking someones belt is loooooow.

I'm particular about my belt, steal my rack, or my bar or whatever, sure. fair game. Take my belt? Best be prepared to answer for it.

I think alot of people dont realize people who take lifting seriously go buy their own, those arent gym belts for who evers use.
View Quote

Yeah. it was a 4" 13mm belt...definitely not an every day lifting belt. I didn't spend a fortune on it so the cost doesn't bother me, but now I have to break in a new belt! Until those edges soften up they leave some impressive bruises.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 10:22:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Caboose314] [#44]
I like the belt!  I feel like I can focus more on the movement when I'm not as distracted by bracing.  Barbell row surprised me, it was a big help to feel locked out from the shoulders down and just pull.

I imagine the big red lines are going to be a thing for quite awhile until the belt softens up

Thanks again for the advice
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 8:43:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Squat PR today at 440x2.

If I hit my 510 deadlift on Wednesday, which would be another PR, my total will be a nice, even 1,300.
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 8:45:48 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 9:59:18 PM EDT
[#47]
Squat PR today at 440x2.

If I hit my 510 deadlift on Wednesday, which would be another PR, my total will be a nice, even 1,300.
View Quote

Much strong.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 5:57:25 AM EDT
[#48]
Squat PR today at 440x2.

View Quote

Nice!
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 9:21:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kallnojoy] [#49]
... and threw my back out.

Chucking straw bales.

Fricken farm strong failed me.

Dont twist.

Hot soak, liquor  and stretching... two of the three in progress.

Sucks... I have a ton of work around here in the pipeline.  No time for this.

Eta:  last time this happened I babied it due to the pain.  Took weeks to recover.  No time for that.  99% sure its muscular, despite having a crunchy lower back.  Any PT tips appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 12:45:52 AM EDT
[#50]
foam rolling or lacrosse balls?

hit it with your prefered blend of icy hot/tiger balm/ biofreeze. Hot showers and ice packs.

Recomend the balms well after the hot shower/bath

have the ability to hang out inverted? or sometimes just hanging from a pullup bar can help my back sort itself out.
Page / 769
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top