Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/6/2002 8:20:04 PM EDT
Do you practice Wang Lang Chuan Fa? I just happened to notice your username. I have practiced Wang Lang Kua Shu and Kwang Tsai Juk Lum for over twenty years. I am also a board member of the Traditional Martial Arts Association. Any chance you are in South Florida?
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 2:22:23 PM EDT
SteyrAUG, My username comes from one of the first systems I studied - Ba Bu Tang Lang (8 step preying mantis). The system I received my black belt in is Shichi Tora Do, a Karate system with a heavy preying mantis kung fu influence. I was born in south Florida, but spent most of my life up north. However, we did spend last week at WDW in Orlando. As you probably know, it was 90 to 95 degrees every day. To someone like me who now thinks 65 degrees is a heat wave, it was a killer.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 5:33:32 PM EDT
Figured as much. I am familiar with 8 Step but never formally studied it. My primary Wang Lang(Tang Lang) system is Seven Star. And please it is "Praying" not "Preying" Mantis. Despite the cool implication.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 7:21:02 PM EDT
Originally Posted By SteyrAUG: And please it is "Praying" not "Preying" Mantis. Despite the cool implication.
View Quote
SteryAUG, You're right, I'm not sure how I screwed that one up after all these years. Seven Star is the other Praying Mantis system I have some experience with. Are you familiar with any of these forms ? Sau Bau Tang Lang Cha Gee Chun Bung Bo Tang Lang Tou Toe Mai Far Sao There may be some spelling variations, but they translate to: Mantis takes first step Spear hand Bouncing step Praying Mantis steals the peach Plum Blossom hand I curious to know if Seven Star is taught the same in different parts of the country.
Link Posted: 5/7/2002 9:01:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/7/2002 9:09:03 PM EDT by SteyrAUG]
I am "aware" of them, but most are not among the traditional syllabus, the exception being the "Spear Hand" form. Most on your list are 20th century creations and judging by your list I'd guess your Sifu is Jon Funk. He has created many contemporary Kuen and made changes to the originals. He has even altered the basic keyword theory. Of the traditional forms, the main three are: Seven Star Form Monkey Steal Peach Spear Hand Form and NONE of them were created by the founder. All that Wang Lang did was establish the basic movements and six keyword exercises. Another misconception is that the style was created at Shaolin. A cursory review of history proves it was born at LaoShan and was confined to Shangtung Province (Shaolin is in Honan Province) until the early 20th century. The style remained intact until this time and was taught in it's orthodox form by Chui Chi Man. It was his successors, especially those who learned at the revitalized Ching Wu Academy who splintered the style and made modifications. The most recognized orthodox form is that of Lee Kam Wing in Hong Kong. And even he has made modifications. As for my lineage, my Sifu studied at the Singapore Ching Wu Gymnasium during the late 60s and early 70s. I began training under him in the late 70s to early 80s. I have yet to see correct orthodox teaching of this style in the US. The closest I have observed is Sifu Brendan Lai in California who is exceptional, but teaches a modified form.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 5:42:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/8/2002 5:46:01 AM EDT by dnra]
WOW aug....you did'nt look that old in your wedding pic's[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 5:52:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/8/2002 6:14:24 AM EDT by redray]
Originally Posted By Mantis:
Originally Posted By SteyrAUG:
View Quote
[b]Sau Bau Tang Lang Cha Gee Chun Bung Bo Tang Lang Tou Toe Mai Far Sao[/b]
View Quote
wow! you guys are making me hungry!!! "yes, that'll be to-go please." [;)]
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 8:01:27 AM EDT
Originally Posted By dnra: WOW aug....you did'nt look that old in your wedding pic's[rolleyes]
View Quote
Here's some more pics then. Circa late 70s, as evidenced by the Luke Skywalker haircut. [img]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0KgAAAHANkAqKf!A8HXTelD3u*OQZjiJAFOVoLHgXHWZg­xExs!qEw!j*HKGRps8gVGrIjJg4MJfg/K1.JPG[/img] Nothing like training with live blades. [img]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0KgD**3ENtwq6gxJwOOLEpzvlKtudHpmBNcpkMkyup*kj­2eYdVxpIxNWvHHqLWpu86Bcw0Q34Wd0/K2.JPG[/img] These guys really are my buddies. [img]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0KgBlO3IN3go5fkzgJ6S7GxPUMUljIOXI3hWIIhpOi0w!­JwXgEOd79GvwKKbhF2JrBiAeJ5z4Qoc/K3.JPG[/img] Note the makiwara in background of bottom pic. And so nobody thinks I attended a belt factory, I got my first Yudansha after 7 years of study. Given my young age the first few years were not very dedicated but the last four were daily training and 2 hour classes, followed by additional training of 2-6 hours at home. It's all I did. All day weekend sessions were not unusual.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 8:07:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/8/2002 8:07:49 AM EDT by NODDAH]
Hahaha [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 6:38:49 PM EDT
Originally Posted By redray:
Originally Posted By Mantis:
Originally Posted By SteyrAUG:
View Quote
[b]Sau Bau Tang Lang Cha Gee Chun Bung Bo Tang Lang Tou Toe Mai Far Sao[/b]
View Quote
wow! you guys are making me hungry!!! "yes, that'll be to-go please." [;)]
View Quote
LMAO [:D]
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 6:42:06 PM EDT
I want to know what style that Remo Williams studied with that old dude who sprinted across the water.
Top Top