Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2002 10:05:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/5/2002 11:22:11 AM EDT by EdAvilaSr]
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 10:11:08 AM EDT
i need to shed 20 pounds. but i can't put the beer bottle down.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 10:41:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/5/2002 11:01:16 AM EDT by EdAvilaSr]
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 10:46:24 AM EDT
i was hoping you would say that beer drinking helps you lose weight [;)]
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 10:54:02 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 12:09:04 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 2:19:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/5/2002 2:23:29 PM EDT by White_horse]
Uhhh... Can I make a small suggestion? According to the Body For Life stuff, if you do your aerobic in the morning after your fast of 7-8 hours, you will get the best fat-burning results. I have tried this and it works rather well. Here is how it works: After your body has used up everything in your belly, you are primed to burn fat. Your body will burn the most readily available energy as you exercise. If you have food in your belly, it will use that first. If your belly is compeletly empty, like in the morning, it will HAVE to turn to fat reserves. A 20 min. aerobic workout in the morning is supposedly as beneficial as a 45 min. workout during the day. The trick is to drink plenty of water in the morning to keep your belly from complaining and to re-hydrate yourself. I usually then eat a nice protein rich breakfast and let time do the rest. I usually hate aerobic work, so 20mins. vs. 45 is a real plus. I have even experimented and found that the morning workout does burn the fat the best. -White Horse Edited to add the poor student's guide to getting enough protein. Here are the big 3 that I use even when I could buy whatever I want: 1. Egg whites in a ratio of 1 whole plus the whites of 2 eggs/omelette. 2. Tuna with no-fat mayo...get used to it. 3. Low fat cottage cheese. Add these to your diet. I use spices on the eggs and tuna to liven them up. I can eat cottage cheese plain all day so that is not a problem. Gosh. I wish someone had given me these in college so that I wouldn't have felt the need to subside on potatoes, bagels, and onions. [:(]
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 6:39:31 PM EDT
I could not agree with you more on the allocation of protein/carbohydrate/fat in a good eating plan (I hate to say diet [:)]). I luv MET Rx protein bars!!!!! The new cherry vanilla flavor is awesome!
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 7:35:22 AM EDT
Originally Posted By iNuhBaDNayburhood: Questions: 1.) What can I do for abdominal exercises to get rid of this gut?
View Quote
You can do any kind of abdominal exercise you want. Unfortunately just because you are exercising your abs doesn't mean that the energy you burn comes from the fat around your abs. We don't get the luxury of being able to target fat loss so nicely.
2.) Do you recommend stretching my abs before or after a workout (ie. roll over & arch back forwards)?
View Quote
Why not do both? (after a proper warmup)
3.) How can I get my current excess fat to go away? I know I'm making my muscles more profound by working out, but that still doesn't make the other fat go away...
View Quote
Here's the cold, hard fact: You must create a 3500 calorie deficit to lose one pound of fat. You can do this by consuming (eating) less, burning more, or a combination of both. No other way around it. That's 500 calories per day for a week. Weight training by itself doesn't do nearly as much for burning calories as aerobic activity. More muscle mass will increase the number of calories your body burns while at rest, but the real calorie burning comes from aerobic activity. For a 180 lb. male, weight training runs between 4 and 10 calories per minute. It varies depending on what exercise you are doing (single arm curls vs. squats) and intensity. It also applies only to time actively training, not rest time between reps or sets; the average person probably only spends 40% or less of an hour actually moving metal around. Running consumes about 14 to 17 calories per minute depending on your pace. If you don't like running then swim, bike, use a stepper, whatever. There's a danger in doing all those crunches too. Unless you equally work the opposing muscles in the lower back you can end up with muscular imbalance which leads to stress on the spinal column, lower back pain, increased likelihood of back injury, and (gasp!) poor posture. Good luck with whatever route you take. You mentioned that you only started two weeks ago. Give it some time!
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 8:46:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/6/2002 9:12:16 AM EDT by EdAvilaSr]
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 10:39:59 AM EDT
Running first thing in the morning works very well. It sucks getting up early, but I have no choice(Army PT). Get up, splash some water on your face, drink 8oz. of water, stretch, and hit the road, hard and fast for 20 30 minutes. Then eat a bowl of healthy cereal as soon as you get back. You'll be "energized" all day, and you'll burn fat better all day while at rest.
Link Posted: 5/8/2002 9:11:03 PM EDT
There is some awfully good advise going on here [bounce] and I am happy to see we have so many members interested in fitness... I think there are a lot of members that don't know about the addition... too bad we cant keep a notice tacked in GD for a longer time. I was under the Impression that there is no such thing as spot reducing.. loosing fat is divided throughout your body... am I wrong about this? My big thing is I don't want to loose Muscle tissue along with fat because of fast weight loss.. any advice here?
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 4:45:52 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/9/2002 11:22:20 AM EDT
Top Top