Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2002 7:27:54 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 9:51:49 AM EDT
[#1]
to me, nothing beats interval training when it comes to building endurance.  Formally known as "wind sprints," I've used intervals in almost all the traing I do.  Aside from runnining, it can also be applied to any type of cardio workout.  I've used it ffor rounds on the bag, where I do intervals of throwing just the jab for 15 seconds, then 5-6 punch combinations for the next 15 seconds and repeat this for the full 3 minute round.  Jumping rope, I usually do 30 second intervals of regular jumps then double jumps.  running I would jog a lap and sprint a lap.  For me this is the best for any type of combat training where you start in a lull then at any moment you need to go full throttle and still keep your wits about you.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 10:07:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I've been doing what i call a "4321" drill.

at the track i run 4 laps, then do 30 push-ups, 3 laps, do 20 push-ups, 2 laps, 15 push ups, and finish off with one lap.

i don't know if it helping yet but i'm going to drill it for a couple weeks and maybe increase as i go.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 5:34:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I agree about the interval training.  20min on a treadmill.  2min slow jog/1min almost sprint, repeat 7 times.  Warmup/cooldown of coarse.

To avoid "eating" your muscles, do cardio only 3 times a week.  Even if you do long sessions, this should'nt negatively affect hypertrophy from your weight training.

BTW, this forum kicks butt!
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 1:15:36 PM EDT
[#4]
If we are talking true aerobic training (not fat loss), but gains in speed, V02 max and all that shit - no question - intervals are awesome.

However, on a weekly basis I think that intervals are like 2 or 3 days max. One day is sprints (of some kind) and the others rest and endurance.

I also think that mixing it up (what you do) is really important.

My fav - stair master with actual stairs that rotate.

Remember: a l-o-n-g-e-r stride when sprinting not only makes you faster but stronger.

Good luck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top