Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 5/5/2002 7:27:54 AM EDT
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 9:51:49 AM EDT
to me, nothing beats interval training when it comes to building endurance. Formally known as "wind sprints," I've used intervals in almost all the traing I do. Aside from runnining, it can also be applied to any type of cardio workout. I've used it ffor rounds on the bag, where I do intervals of throwing just the jab for 15 seconds, then 5-6 punch combinations for the next 15 seconds and repeat this for the full 3 minute round. Jumping rope, I usually do 30 second intervals of regular jumps then double jumps. running I would jog a lap and sprint a lap. For me this is the best for any type of combat training where you start in a lull then at any moment you need to go full throttle and still keep your wits about you.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 10:07:17 AM EDT
I've been doing what i call a "4321" drill. at the track i run 4 laps, then do 30 push-ups, 3 laps, do 20 push-ups, 2 laps, 15 push ups, and finish off with one lap. i don't know if it helping yet but i'm going to drill it for a couple weeks and maybe increase as i go.
Link Posted: 5/5/2002 5:34:07 PM EDT
I agree about the interval training. 20min on a treadmill. 2min slow jog/1min almost sprint, repeat 7 times. Warmup/cooldown of coarse. To avoid "eating" your muscles, do cardio only 3 times a week. Even if you do long sessions, this should'nt negatively affect hypertrophy from your weight training. BTW, this forum kicks butt!
Link Posted: 5/6/2002 1:15:36 PM EDT
If we are talking true aerobic training (not fat loss), but gains in speed, V02 max and all that shit - no question - intervals are awesome. However, on a weekly basis I think that intervals are like 2 or 3 days max. One day is sprints (of some kind) and the others rest and endurance. I also think that mixing it up (what you do) is really important. My fav - stair master with actual stairs that rotate. Remember: a l-o-n-g-e-r stride when sprinting not only makes you faster but stronger. Good luck
Top Top