Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/11/2010 11:33:03 AM EDT
I'm 5'5 and weigh a wopping 184ish...
I'm 22...wrestled in high school and lifted a lot....
I'm also lifting along with running....
I have already completely shifted my diet to extreme health...oatmeal, nonfat yogurt, chicken, fish, brown rice, fruits and veges.  I eat about 2-3 cheat meals / week and have dedicated myself to not drinking for 2 months.

I desire to cut my weight to about 160-165 I'm pretty thick so any less would be too skinny.  I want to get in shape for upcoming floor hockey and overall life.  Would like to cut the fuck outa my body fat for teh ladies....

Want to run every dayh for the rest of my life...started 5 days ago...

I need to lose weight and increase my stamina...whats the best way?  Intervals?  Distance?  

help me out boys iit's time to live!!...but mostly...for teh wimmenz...!

thanks
Link Posted: 8/11/2010 11:48:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Want to run every day for the rest of my life...started 5 days ago...

I need to lose weight and increase my stamina...whats the best way?  Intervals?  Distance?  

help me out boys iit's time to live!!

thanks

Theres more to losing weight than just running.  Other life changes need to occur as well.  Age? Weight? Lifestyle?

What are your goal besides losing weight and increasing stamina?

And I wouldnt recommend running everyday...youll end up over training or losing interest.
Link Posted: 8/11/2010 11:57:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Want to run every day for the rest of my life...started 5 days ago...

help me out boys iit's time to live!!

thanks

Theres more to losing weight than just running.  Other life changes need to occur as well.  Age? Weight? Lifestyle?

What are your goal besides losing weight and increasing stamina?

And I wouldnt recommend running everyday...youll end up over training or losing interest.

Thanks, edited.
Link Posted: 8/11/2010 12:01:26 PM EDT
[#3]
2-3 cheat meals a week is a bit much for my taste...I would say maybe one every couple weeks.

Running will definitely get you started in the right direction, but it sounds like your overall build is pretty thick.

I would only lift for endurance and not hypertrophy/strength and run 3-4 times a week.
Link Posted: 8/11/2010 12:20:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

thanks

In running for performance (speed), run frequency is important, but you can't build that frequency too quickly.  Start by running every other day for 30 minutes or so.  Do that for a 2-3 weeks, then go to 4/week - no more than 2 consecutive days.  Slowly add duration to the runs, but no more than 10% total time gain/week.

Speedwork/intervals are icing.  As a habitual non-runner, you need to bake your cake first.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 1:17:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm 20. was 195 3 months ago. I started running and doing weight resistance 3x a week. Along with eatting extremely well.

I'm now 168. At first i became addicted to running and for the first month and a half I ran 4-5x a week 1.5 mile fast runs -3.5 mile interval runs.
After a month I weighed myself, and I only lost 2 pounds, but a month later I checked again I lost 20.... Running will take time to lose weight
but it works well. Along with good body weight training 3x a week.
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 2:02:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm 20. was 195 3 months ago. I started running and doing weight resistance 3x a week. Along with eatting extremely well.

I'm now 168. At first i became addicted to running and for the first month and a half I ran 4-5x a week 1.5 mile fast runs -3.5 mile interval runs.
After a month I weighed myself, and I only lost 2 pounds, but a month later I checked again I lost 20.... Running will take time to lose weight
but it works well. Along with good body weight training 3x a week.

Thanks for the info!!  Love motivator stories that are not on diet infomercials!!!!
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 5:05:50 AM EDT
[#7]
I started losing weight about 2.5 months ago.  I started at 180 and am now sitting a 163-ish.  

1. Clean diet (been cheating a bit now that I'm at the weight I'm happy with.  I've been at this weight for about a month now)
2. Exercise: 1st month I ran 3 days a week, 3-3.5 miles.  Second month to present I'm doing the Stronglifts 5x5 program.

I've got two weeks left before the end of the weightloss challenge that I'm in, so I'm going to start running and being strict on my diet again to finish up strong.

K
Link Posted: 8/12/2010 10:49:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I started losing weight about 2.5 months ago.  I started at 180 and am now sitting a 163-ish.  

1. Clean diet (been cheating a bit now that I'm at the weight I'm happy with.  I've been at this weight for about a month now)
2. Exercise: 1st month I ran 3 days a week, 3-3.5 miles.  Second month to present I'm doing the Stronglifts 5x5 program.

I've got two weeks left before the end of the weightloss challenge that I'm in, so I'm going to start running and being strict on my diet again to finish up strong.

K

17 lbs in two and a half months...solid couple lbs / week or close enough ecsp now that your a cheatn...I'll see how it goes!
Link Posted: 8/14/2010 6:39:41 PM EDT
[#9]
run no more than 4-5 days a week or you will hurt yourself

weight loss has more to do with calorie intake but combined with cardio you will drop weight fast
Link Posted: 8/15/2010 12:31:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Since you play floor hockey stick to intervals.

See if there's a hill nearby that you can use to sprint up.  Do 10-12 sprints a few times per week and you'll be gtg for hockey.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 11:36:05 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm 5'5 and weigh a wopping 184ish...
I'm 22...wrestled in high school and lifted a lot....
I'm also lifting along with running....
I have already completely shifted my diet to extreme health...oatmeal, nonfat yogurt, chicken, fish, brown rice, fruits and veges.  I eat about 2-3 cheat meals / week and have dedicated myself to not drinking for 2 months.

I desire to cut my weight to about 160-165 I'm pretty thick so any less would be too skinny.  I want to get in shape for upcoming floor hockey and overall life.  Would like to cut the fuck outa my body fat for teh ladies....

thanks
Go to runnersworld.com

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:39:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Mix up your cardio.

I have a three mile course I do four or five times a week (I also cross-fit at my department gym).

If I want to vary the workout I'll run a mile and stop for 25 burpees then run another mile etc....

It ends up with 100 burpees and 3 miles. You will capitalize on your strength but really build cardio and stamina.

I try to focus on my recovery time after maximum exertion. I try and get my breathing under control in 30 seconds of rest.

Can't always do that but I do see improvement.... though it comes slowly.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:03:19 AM EDT
[#13]
I've found that just running around like a zombie for 30 minutes doesn't do all that much unless you are a CC runner. I alternate sprinting and jogging, which helps me stay in shape for soccer. Instead of jogging 1 or 1.5 miles, try jogging for like 1/8 mile then sprinting 50 yards, then repeat. You can run 5 miles a day, but be out of shape for a sport like soccer where you are either walking/slow jogging or sprinting. You also don't burn that many calories running; it's the exercise that boosts your metabolism and the increased metabolism is what burns fat.
Link Posted: 9/8/2010 11:50:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You also don't burn that many calories running; it's the exercise that boosts your metabolism and the increased metabolism is what burns fat.

There are not many exercise modes that burn more calories than running per unit of time, assuming that one is acutally running and not wallowing around.

Regarding increased metabolic demands following exercise, the supporing evidence is not conclusive with regards to the magnitude of excess post exercise oxygen consumption (alternatively energy expenditure).  I've only read the abstracts, but the only abstract that I read that puts a value to EPOC rates it as 6%-15% of the energy used during exercise.

Some studies:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17101527

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14599232

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/14692598

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16475061

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16475061

In any case, diet has a far greater effect on body composition than does exercise.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 12:35:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've found that just running around like a zombie for 30 minutes doesn't do all that much unless you are a CC runner. I alternate sprinting and jogging, which helps me stay in shape for soccer. Instead of jogging 1 or 1.5 miles, try jogging for like 1/8 mile then sprinting 50 yards, then repeat. You can run 5 miles a day, but be out of shape for a sport like soccer where you are either walking/slow jogging or sprinting. You also don't burn that many calories running; it's the exercise that boosts your metabolism and the increased metabolism is what burns fat.

Here ya go...stick to the advice posted above.  Intervals are far better than just running.  We also have a park near my house with a trail winding through the woods.  From the bottom, it is about 700 yards...all uphill.  I'll do that as hard as I can, then walk down and repeat...a few times.  Sometimes I'll go up running backward.  Mix it up and make sure to have variability in your routine...in fact, don't have a routine...just vary your workouts.

Link Posted: 9/8/2010 5:28:41 PM EDT
[#16]
The others have given pretty good advice so I'll only add this:

When I was coaching cross country and track, you know how some women and male distance runners are self conscious about "bulking up" when confronted with the need to lift weights?  Well, we developed a weight training system for our distance runners that focussed on dynamic (or "speed") lifting, wherein the aim is to lift relatively light weights but do so with force (speed) at high reps.  This method tends to increase strength via synchronizing nerve cell signals, rather than increasing strength via increasing the size of the mitochondria.  We also tended to focus on whole body movements when lifting as opposed to isometrics (e.g. isolating muscle groups).

It sounds like this might be the weight trainin regime that fits into your goals, since nerve cell synchronization aids in developing running form.
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 5:46:20 AM EDT
[#17]
I mix distance with intervals and it works for me. I have a treadmill so the interval work is easier to keep track of. Make sure your pay attention to you shins. If they start to hurt, stop training. Do lots of stretching. Don't run everyday. That will fuk your legs up. Walk backwards uphill to help counter shin problems. It looks stupid but your shins will thankyou. I like to run two days and then take a day off. If you have access to a treadmill I would highly recommend using it in conjunction with running outdoors. If you have the cash and its available in your area, get you gait analysed. If your not running with proper form you will hurt yourself. I find running to be the most rewarding thing I do. Good luck and keep us updated.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 10:35:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Just don't over do it or you'll get shin splints like me.  That's pretty much a dream crusher.
Link Posted: 9/10/2010 11:11:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Constantly vary your cardio...plyometrics, bike, swim, run, yoga (yeah don't knock it until you try it), stretch on your off days, you would be surprised how much easier running is when you are flexible. You are not going to get anywhere running at 7mph for 30 minutes.  I ran 2x a day 6x a week without injury, however I also took a week off here and there and did other light impact cardio like swimming and biking.  keep in mind that any cardio endurance you gain diminishes within 4 days.

P90x is what you need.

couch to 5k is a good website, check it out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top