Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2014 4:58:32 PM EDT
So I am new to precision rifles and want to keep my very expensive barrel in good condition. What kind of products do you guys use in your barrels and how often. I have heard that Dewey rods are some of the best, so naturally I bought one of those. From there I am lost. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:06:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I use Slip.

I'm not a competitive shooter, however; they may use something else.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:06:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I would recommend Bore-Tech stuff - rods, cleaner, etc.  I have a friend who is a bench rest shooter, and it is all he uses.  The guys at Bore-Tech are easy to talk to.  If you call them and tell them what you are looking for, they will help you out with what you need - not just what they need to move.  When I first got into precision shooting, they saved me from overbuying stuff.  They could have made a nice sell off of my inexperience, but they made sure I got only what I really needed.
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 5:32:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/28/2014 6:00:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I use a Dewey Rod, Lucas Guide and Mostly Butch's Bore Shine.

I don't clean my barrel all that often
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 11:59:29 AM EDT
[#5]
^^^^^^^This.  Most shooters over-clean their barrels.  Don't.  Unless and until the rifle begins to drop off in accuracy just leave it.  No need to scrub the metal if it's not adversely affected by the material in it.  Less is more in this instance.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 12:58:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By gohuskers:
^^^^^^^This.  Most shooters over-clean their barrels.  Don't.  Unless and until the rifle begins to drop off in accuracy just leave it.  No need to scrub the metal if it's not adversely affected by the material in it.  Less is more in this instance.
View Quote

With good chemicals over cleaning/scrubbing is less likely. With copper jacketed bullets, nylon brushes should suffice if your chemicals are doing their job.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 8:17:59 PM EDT
[#7]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b40IZgHMhSI&list=PLJUaiRIEduNXoal2_PkBZi0vDCIcEPxUn&index=42
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXf6oZzLYaY&list=PLJUaiRIEduNXoal2_PkBZi0vDCIcEPxUn&index=43
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lV9QvEm1nFc&list=PLJUaiRIEduNXoal2_PkBZi0vDCIcEPxUn&index=44
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcmuSXqmKjs&list=PLJUaiRIEduNXoal2_PkBZi0vDCIcEPxUn&index=45
Link Posted: 1/30/2015 1:46:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Fire your rifle at the range, run a wet patch of oil through the bore and let it sit.  Next time before hitting up the range, pull a dry patch through the bore.  That's all I do.  When accuracy starts dropping, clean the bore.  I haven't hit the cleaning part yet.  I have 1200 rounds through the bore so far.  Still shooting 1/4-1/2 MOA.
Link Posted: 2/6/2015 12:48:32 PM EDT
[#9]
gunslick foam

m pro7

kg12 if needed

are my top 3 used, i have lots...

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 1:00:26 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm a boretech fan by far. Foam cleaners are good too, but Boretech foamed would be best imo.  
I used foam cleaners when I had a 50cal, & use boretech on everything (including the 50cal muzzle break). Nylon brushes always.
Kept the .50 spotless after 50rds, which is saying something bc those muzzle breaks really get copper fouled (blue).  Works the best & you won't get high from the fumes (something I prefer if possible). MPro7, I'm not a fan. Doesn't clean well enough - had 2 gallons I used in an ultrasonic but still had to wipe the MP5 down after.
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 4:26:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Glock35:
...but Boretech foamed would be best imo.  
View Quote

The problem with foams is they contain air. Spray some hair mousse in your hand. What happens after a couple minutes? Yes, it shrinks. It doesn't fully coat your bore and can be quite messy. Liquid actually coats the bore better and you can agitate it with a Nylon bristled brush, essentially aerating it. Aerating makes the chemicals work better/quicker.

You probably won't see any foams in Bore Techs future. Gel might be something to look into!
Link Posted: 3/11/2015 6:01:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By boretech:

The problem with foams is they contain air. Spray some hair mousse in your hand. What happens after a couple minutes? Yes, it shrinks. It doesn't fully coat your bore and can be quite messy. Liquid actually coats the bore better and you can agitate it with a Nylon bristled brush, essentially aerating it. Aerating makes the chemicals work better/quicker.

You probably won't see any foams in Bore Techs future. Gel might be something to look into!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By boretech:
Originally Posted By Glock35:
...but Boretech foamed would be best imo.  

That's good to know! Thanks
Link Posted: 3/23/2015 11:41:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Wipe-out, love the stuff.

Only used semi-annually, I used to clean after every range trip but that sucked and wasn't necessary.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top