Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2017 1:37:24 AM EDT
Not completely sure if I’m posting this in the right forum... but, crap... Was re-installing my scope mounts on my Remy 700 and the head twisted right off the screw. Screw never got tight, it just started spinning free at one point.
I have no idea how to get the rest of the screw out. Does anyone have any advice? I’d really appreciate it, this is sharp shooter also doubles as my deer rifle, and opening day is around the corner.
I live in the North Dallas Area.

Link Posted: 10/12/2017 8:04:06 AM EDT
[#1]
you'll want to use an EZ out of the appropriate size.

it's going to involve drilling a hole in the top of the broken screw and that is tricky business without a press and some sort of jig to hold your scope solidly in position.

So be careful and take it to somebody that knows what they're doing if you don't want to jack up your scope getting it out and you're not sure you can do it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 8:31:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I would try cutting a slit across what’s left, then using a small screwdriver to try to back it out.

If that doesn’t work, I’d chuck it in the mill & run a carbide centercutting endmill to chew it outta there
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 8:33:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Rob01] [#3]
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 8:34:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FALARAK] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
You can try to cut a slot and use a small screw driver but best bet is to have a smith get it out and maybe have him open it up to 8-40s at the same time.
View Quote
This.

And use quality screws, and a torque wrench.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 8:46:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Find a left hand drill bit the appropriate size to drill out the screw.  It will prob spin out fairly quickly.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 11:39:26 AM EDT
[#6]
Drill a small hole in the center and then use a flathead jewelers screwdriver to wedge in the hole and back out.  
A left-hand drillbit might also work if you can find one.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:57:07 PM EDT
[#7]
1/16" drill bit to drill most of the screw out and then an EZ Out.

I probably break one every few months and while it is a drag to do it is not that big of a deal.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 11:00:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By IceDiver:
Find a left hand drill bit the appropriate size to drill out the screw.  It will prob spin out fairly quickly.
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 9:28:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Drill press.  Vice.  Left hand drill bit.  Easy out.  Patience.
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 7:44:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Find a left hand drill bit the appropriate size to drill out the screw.  It will prob spin out fairly quickly.
View Quote
+2
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 4:05:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Did you loctite or anything? I've had them break like that and a simple eraser pulled them out. Aka pencil upside down and spin counter clockwise. If that don't work ezouts or left hand drill bits as suggested
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top