Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2017 9:31:09 PM EDT
For bedding bolt actions/barrels into McMillan fiberglass stocks for a .300 RUM hunting rifle, which material is superior:  Marine Tex, or Accra Glass?

My long-time gunsmith in Florida (Bruce Dow, of Dow Arms Room) has used Marine Tex in ~ 20 of my bolt guns with good results.  But, a local gunsmith prefers Accra Glass?  Do I insist on Accra Glass (I'm trying to avoid UPS fees to FL).

- CS
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 3:09:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Why only those 2? I've used Devcon Plastic Steel 10110 and really liked the results. More durable than Acraglas , but you can't dye it if thats an issue. Also good for texturing the stock.

I don't have any experience with Marine Tex, but plenty of precision rifle builders use it, so it should be fine for your purposes.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 1:50:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By trgrpullr:
Why only those 2? I've used Devcon Plastic Steel 10110 and really liked the results. More durable than Acraglas , but you can't dye it if thats an issue. Also good for texturing the stock.

I don't have any experience with Marine Tex, but plenty of precision rifle builders use it, so it should be fine for your purposes.
View Quote
This-
The Devcon blows away the MarineTex. Devcon shrinks less over time.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:07:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Bisonite...it's what Dakota arms and other pro smiths use.  You can machine it, no shrinkage, uber strong...
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 1:33:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ted_Brown] [#4]
I've used both, but for the last 30 years or so I've used Bisonite which is what the AMU preferred. Only problem is it now comes from a new source (elysiumarms.com, 719-859-0027) and there have been some issues with their formula. It still works fine, but seems to have more steel in it than before.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top