Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/31/2017 12:31:36 AM EDT
Ok.  I bought a remington 700 ADL. Cheap.  I was just wanting to use the action.  Looking at doing either a 6.5 creedmore or 6.5x47 lapua.  Wanting to do a project that I can learn from.   I understand that having a Smith true my action is the best route and I've had that done before and been more than satisfied.  This rifle here is merely a project.  I want to clean up the action the best I can before installing a criterion remage barrel.  I looked at doing a ptg bolt lapping kit and polishing the bolt lugs.  Are there better kits out there than ptg.  I see that brownells does offer a kit.  What else can I do without a lathe.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 12:54:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I just installed a PTG bolt today and it might not drop right in . I had to take some material off the lugs for it to shut.
The bolt would shut on another action some it might work ?
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 5:41:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Precision308:
I understand that having a Smith true my action is the best route <snip>  What else can I do without a lathe.
View Quote

Once the smith has trued the action, the headspace will have changed so you can't even just put the old barrel back on.
Plus the bore of the threads will have changed, so the old threads won't fit, either.
So at this point, you might as well have a new barrel put on and headspaced to the new cartridge of choice.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 8:45:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MitchAlsup:

Once the smith has trued the action, the headspace will have changed so you can't even just put the old barrel back on.
Plus the bore of the threads will have changed, so the old threads won't fit, either.
So at this point, you might as well have a new barrel put on and headspaced to the new cartridge of choice.
View Quote

If he wants to Remage, threads can't be touched.  They should be cleaned up though.  Literally cleaned that is.  

OP, I just sent my action and PTG bolt off to a smith for my Remage build.  It is possible to go the Remage route without truing the receiver face.  I know of several that have gone that route and still have very precise guns.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 8:48:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Something  else to consider is. Having the bolt of you want to go to the 6.5x47 route or use lapua brass for creedmor to avoid piercing primers. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top