Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/26/2017 12:56:35 AM EDT
Would it be possible to change out a factory 700 .308 sporter barrel for a factory SPS .308 barrel youself or does it requier a proper smith?
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 7:29:39 AM EDT
[#1]
You need the special tools and the knowledge to use them properly.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 8:03:03 AM EDT
[#2]
And while your at it change to 6.5
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 8:58:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By The_Hammer:
Would it be possible to change out a factory 700 .308 sporter barrel for a factory SPS .308 barrel youself or does it requier a proper smith?
View Quote

You can buy the tools.

Only you can say if you have the knowledge and ability.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 9:20:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Barrels aren't drop in like that,  You'd need to check the headspace and then be able to set it correctly if it isn't right, which It probably isn't.  That requires a lathe.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 10:00:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: UtahShotgunner] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TeeRex:
 That requires a lathe.
View Quote

Not always, but you need the knowledge to know when that is the case.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 10:01:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Barrels aren't drop in like that,  You'd need to check the headspace and then be able to set it correctly if it isn't right, which It probably isn't.  That requires a lathe.
View Quote

You can get Remage barrels with a barrel nut system like the Savage rifles.  Once you remove the old barrel (need a barrel vice and action wrench) all you need then is head space gauges.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 10:16:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Bushman_269:

You can get Remage barrels with a barrel nut system like the Savage rifles.  Once you remove the old barrel (need a barrel vice and action wrench) all you need then is head space gauges.
View Quote

I'm well aware of that, but this specific question asked about swapping one factory barrel for another.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 12:53:52 PM EDT
[#8]

I'm well aware of that, but this specific question asked about swapping one factory barrel for another.
View Quote

I am glad you are well aware of that but perhaps the OP was not aware of other options?  Was my statement incorrect?
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 1:04:31 PM EDT
[#9]

I am glad you are well aware of that but perhaps the OP was not aware of other options?  Was my statement incorrect?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

No, but it did not answer the specific question.  There are a lot of take off barrels out there on there market that may seem like a cheap fix if someone is wanting to change contours.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 4:19:17 PM EDT
[#10]
No, but it did not answer the specific question.  There are a lot of take off barrels out there on there market that may seem like a cheap fix if someone is wanting to change contours.
View All Quotes

Exactly. TeeRex is just trying to not confuse The OP
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 4:32:48 PM EDT
[#11]
View Quote

This is exactly why I was asking. I've found some low round count heavy contour barrels for ~$75 and was hoping to be able to swap one in place of my sporter contour without spending a ton of money.

It sounds like even with a factory pulloff barrel I'm still going to need to take it to a smith.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 5:38:05 PM EDT
[#12]

This is exactly why I was asking. I've found some low round count heavy contour barrels for ~$75 and was hoping to be able to swap one in place of my sporter contour without spending a ton of money.

It sounds like even with a factory pulloff barrel I'm still going to need to take it to a smith.
View Quote
Yep it may work, but likely not.  If it doesn't fit I wouldn't spend the money on the machine to make it fit.  That also why they are out there for so cheap.

That does leave you the remage option, and those do tend to shoot quite well.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 10:42:01 PM EDT
[#13]
The remage option is by far the best option for any DIY project. I have had several all the way from 6xc to 300 win mag and all but the 260 remington have been under 5/8 MOA with just a new barrel and careful load development.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 11:29:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By FarPlaces:
The remage option is by far the best option for any DIY project. I have had several all the way from 6xc to 300 win mag and all but the 260 remington have been under 5/8 MOA with just a new barrel and careful load development.
View Quote

Welcome!
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 1:14:17 PM EDT
[#15]
My 700 .308 will consistently shoot sub-MOA 3-shot groups at 100 yards, 5-shot groups open up to about 1.25 MOA and 10-shot groups around 1.75 MOA. Once I Iet the barrel cool down it's back to shooting sub-MOA again, which is why I'm interested in switching to a heavier contour.

Seeing that the gun shoots sub-MOA (.75 average) with a factory barrel would I see a dramatic increase in accuracy if I had the action trued vs swapping in a remage barrel?
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 1:34:37 PM EDT
[#16]
My 700 .308 will consistently shoot sub-MOA 3-shot groups at 100 yards, 5-shot groups open up to about 1.25 MOA and 10-shot groups around 1.75 MOA. Once I Iet the barrel cool down it's back to shooting sub-MOA again, which is why I'm interested in switching to a heavier contour.

Seeing that the gun shoots sub-MOA (.75 average) with a factory barrel would I see a dramatic increase in accuracy if I had the action trued vs swapping in a remage barrel?
View Quote
having the action trued also requires barrel work, because it will change headspace.  It is not worth truing and then having the barrel worked on so it fits correctly.  Generally when people true actions they also true the thread, once that happens using a remage is out.  I've seen plenty of remages shoot well, and truing and action up doesn't do much for accuracy, it's just part of making everything nice and square.  
Link Posted: 1/27/2017 11:04:39 PM EDT
[#17]
having the action trued also requires barrel work, because it will change headspace.  It is not worth truing and then having the barrel worked on so it fits correctly.  Generally when people true actions they also true the thread, once that happens using a remage is out.  I've seen plenty of remages shoot well, and truing and action up doesn't do much for accuracy, it's just part of making everything nice and square.  
View All Quotes

There are a few smiths that specialize in Remage conversions and know not to touch the threads.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:38:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Yep it may work, but likely not.  If it doesn't fit I wouldn't spend the money on the machine to make it fit.  That also why they are out there for so cheap.

View All Quotes

If you don't go the Remage route, you're gambling on the headspace and timing being right with another barrel that was originally mated to another action.  To fix that, you'll need a lathe.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 11:43:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Moondog:
If you don't go the Remage route, you're gambling on the headspace and timing being right with another barrel that was originally mated to another action.  To fix that, you'll need a lathe.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Moondog:

Not necessarily but usually. Some people were able to start with a thick lug and sand it down to get the right headspace. The AAC barrels were that way if I remember correctly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top