Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2016 3:12:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GLC1]
I'm about to have another rifle built and want to be able to mount a suppressor by quick attach muzzle device.  I am only in the beginning stages of the suppressor search but want the rifle to be ready.  It will be a .308 with Remington Varmint Contour.  

Is there a difference in shoulder style, setback, etc. between brands such as YHM, AAC, Silencerco, etc when applying 5/8-24 threading?

Should I just wait and have it threaded later once I have a suppressor?  I'd like to have it threaded now while being built since it will be cerrokoted at the same time.  

Advice appreciated.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:41:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dttheliman] [#1]
Select your preferred silencer , buy the muzzle device - send it to your barrel guy and he will cut the appropriate threads and time the device - there can be and are subtle differences - tooling being one , plus the last thing you want is to pull the gun apart again to get the barrel threaded that's a pain in the ass, or get your guy to cut the threads and the thread is slightly not the spec of your preferred muzzle device and then you are going to be running around trying to get threads fixed etc , you don't want to gall the threads on that brand new barrel .....

ask me how I know its a pain.    
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 2:41:37 PM EDT
[#2]
ADCO charges $140 to thread a barreled action bolt gun. Remove everything from the receiver (trigger group and any scope mount) and ship it to them with the flash hider/muzzle brake that you intend to use. They guarantee the threads will run true to the bore.

If you like just buy the muzzle device directly from them and have them install it.

Cutting threads for suppressor use takes considerably more due diligence than just cutting threads for a flash hider. Don't trust just any yahoo with a lathe to get it right.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 4:16:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Agree with the above find out what you want and send it in with the rifle. If they are already cutting threads it will only take a few minutes to time it properly. My buddies cut the thread then screw on the device do math stuff to calculate how much more is needed cut verify and send home

Also if you go the aac route they have a version that doesn't need to be timed. FML if that port is straight down and you shoot in the dirt life sucks hahaa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top