Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2016 9:45:04 PM EDT
"99% "Press-Fit Inlet"
Action can be bolted to the stock with minimal handwork!
Minor adjustments to ensure clearance between the metal and wood may be needed in the bolt notch and rear tang area, usually requiring a relatively short amount of time."

That's what the Richard's Microfit Stocks website says.  

I purchased one of these stocks for a Howa 1500 Short Action with a heavy barrel.

This is not going to be a positive review.

The action did, in fact, fit into the stock with minimal effort, just a little cleaning up around the corners.  In fact, if fits a little too deeply into the stock.  The bolt drags on the wood, the bolt release lever won't actuate, nor will the safety lever, before they hit the wood.  The barrel channel needs major work, with heavy contact against the barrel all over the place.  I'e been working it with 100 grit on a dowel for about 6-7 hours so far.  Still not there.  The bottom metal also fits too deeply,  Once the dump plate is open it won't re-latch.  The exterior of the stock has tear-outs from dull cutting tools all over the place that will have to be filled and the contour curves are crooked and uneven.  The forearm is just a 90 degree cutoff at the end.  No response whatsoever from the manufacturer on these issues.

Still trying to figure out how to resolve all of the issues.  Lots of work left to go.

Definitely not a product I would recommend.

John
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 1:58:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Yep. Once it's worked over and bedded, they're pretty and strong, but it's a PITA for most of us who aren't craftsmen.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 3:39:38 PM EDT
[#2]
So you had no idea what you were getting. Here's a tip: 99% of the work takes 1% of the time. 1% of the work takes 99% of the time. You weren't ready for all of the work of final fitting and finishing a stock and ended up with what people such as yourself end up with when they bite off more than they can chew.

Now that I've given you your well deserved hard time: Don't give up. First, you need someone to teach you how to work wood with the big boy tools but in the meantime, use better tools. Sandpaper on a dowel isn't it. If you don't know what tool to use take your stock to the local woodworking tools store and ask for help selecting the right tool, they usually have a shop in back you can rent time in if needed. Also get friendly with a tube of Acraglass and be ready to adjust the length of some screws and spend 30 days fitting and finishing your stock.

People that don't know what they're getting into often react poorly to actually being into it when they get there.

The tearouts and such I can't see so I can't comment on. I've had many stocks from RM and with the required work they all turned out spectacular.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 11:48:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Pretty typical from Richards.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 12:05:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Wonderful stocks but you are doing most of the work.  Did a 10/22 that ended up excellent
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 9:45:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I also ordered a stock from them and I was shocked with the amount of work required.  I've done lots of amateur work on  all sorts of stocks with excellent results. However this one ended up in the garbage after wasting several hours on it  
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 2:11:38 AM EDT
[#6]
There's a reason the action, bbl and bottom metal are set too deep.
That's so you can get rid of all those dull tool tear outs.

What I didn't appreciate was the action screw holes drilled at a 10 degree angle,
and the opposing vent slots in the barrel channel sloping in opposite directions.

Brought this to RM's attention with photos and measurements.
The next stock was exactly the same.

I buy elsewhere.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:28:42 AM EDT
[#7]
I can't complain too much. $160 for the stock, another $250 for cheekpiece hardware and Tubb adjustable buttplate compared to $900-1,000 for a complete stock from McMillan, Doan Trevor, McGee, etc. I saved at least five bills, so it will take a little work. Just need to put clear coat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top