Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2016 6:44:47 AM EDT
So I'm building two precision rifles to compare potential accuracy, one out of a Mosin Nagant and one from a Mauser. Maybe not the best platforms, but I like the challenge and it seems like a fun project to do myself.

My problem is that I am having trouble finding a tap and die to chase the threads on both the receiver and barrel for the Mosin Nagant. Anyone have a lead on a set?

Also looking for a honing tool to true up the receiver faces and barrel shoulders for both rifles. I've found tools to do this for Remington 700s, but have struck out on both of these rifles. I don't have a lathe or access to one and am looking to do this myself.
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 1:14:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Since you already brought up not having a lathe, it is very likely the receivers and barrels' threads were cut on a lathe.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 10:50:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: devildog3062] [#2]
Check out Pacific Tool & Die and Manson. Call and see if they can make what you need.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:55:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By IslandTimes:
So I'm building two precision rifles to compare potential accuracy,
<snip>
I don't have a lathe or access to one and am looking to do this myself.
View Quote

Without a lathe, you are not making a precision rifle. You are hacking at parts hoping for the best.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:21:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MitchAlsup:

Without a lathe, you are not making a precision rifle. You are hacking at parts hoping for the best.
View Quote

Well said.  

A tap and die are not going to cut a thread truly concentric and parallel to the bore.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 5:15:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Have to say I'm surprised that this hasn't gone into the archives yet!

I lucked out and the threads on the Mosin receiver and barrel are fine. Just ordered a receiver wrench and need to sell some FAL parts before I buy a barrel vise. Trying to get rid of excess parts and "stuff" before I buy more. Also need to send the barrel out to be turned down and threaded. I was going to just send it in to ADCO, but does anyone recommend another shop instead?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top