Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2015 3:49:35 PM EDT
A lot of you will probably hate this idea, but I really, really, REALLY want to find some way of building a precision rifle chambered for the cheap 54R surplus.

I know that stuff is far from match ammo, but I want to see what it's truly capable of when the question of mechanical accuracy is removed from the equation.

I also like the idea of having something powerful that I can shoot for cheap that has similar ballistics to .308.

What I'm wanting is to find somebody who can modify a Savage or a Remy, or some other modern precision bolt gun to accept surplus ammo and these weird mosin mags from promag (originally produced for the Arch Angel Mosin stock):

I'm a big fan of Savage, so I'd like to go with something like a model 10.
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 10:00:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you already have a bunch of surplus?
Link Posted: 4/5/2015 11:18:21 PM EDT
[#2]
How did I know "I want a 54R precision rifle to shoot crap ammo from" was going to be followed by "I am a big fan of Savage?"

Link Posted: 4/6/2015 8:04:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Probably because Savage is the only factory rifle capable of shooting "crap ammo" with any accuracy
Link Posted: 4/6/2015 8:29:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Careful uphum don't step in the bull$%*+
Link Posted: 4/7/2015 4:50:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Why don't you just turn a mosin into one. They make awesome stocks (bluegrass stocks, big gorilla gunworks, Boyds etc.) and rock solid industries makes scope mounts.

Now you have a precision rifle that shoots 7.62x54r.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 10:31:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I am in the process of building a Mosin for a gent using a heavy, unissued MG barrel- Czech barrel I believe.
Should be a neat thumper when done.
But yes, it's only going to shoot what the ammo will allow.
Link Posted: 4/8/2015 8:19:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
Do you already have a bunch of surplus?
View Quote

Quite a bit, and still gradually gaining more.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 10:46:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm not versed on the exact dimensions of the Russian bore, but if a suitable blank can be had it shouldn't be a big deal to for a competent shop to barrel what ever action you want. Long action Remington or Savage.
Link Posted: 4/11/2015 11:09:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Finding an appropriate bolt head with an extra for that will work might be a problem.  And getting it to feed from a mag could be a bear too.
Link Posted: 4/12/2015 1:29:00 AM EDT
[#10]
I've abandoned the project.
Link Posted: 4/13/2015 1:57:23 AM EDT
[#11]

Link Posted: 10/30/2016 1:28:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BlackRifleJuju:
I've abandoned the project.
View Quote

Good to hear.  Milsurp is hardly precision ammo.  It's like running a race car on pump gas.  True, it's gonna run, but the performance isn't going to be there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top