Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2017 10:21:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mad_Max1611]
So my precision rifle is a old Remington 700 varminter in 243. These guns had really slow twists so i can really only run up to 75 grain bullets to get the best accuracy. Do you think switching to a solid copper bullet thats 75 grains would be worth it as it would increase the length of the projectile making it more aerodynamic?

EDIT: Im shooting vmax's at .33 a pill vs what would be a 1.04 a pill. Is it worth it for long range (1200yds)
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 7:20:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#1]
To get an idea about the "aerodynamic" nature of your chosen bullet, look at the BC.  Do copper bullets have a better BC?...  last time I checked, the answer was "no"...  In addition, the longer bullet may require a faster twist rate to stabilize it...  This is why you don't hear many distance shooters talking about copper bullets - they don't offer any external ballistic advantages and may require a slightly faster twist rate to stabilize a bullet of the same weight when compared to jacketed lead bullets.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 7:22:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I just tried some monolithic solid copper bullets in my .260 Tikka and even though they were supposed to be stable in a 1:8 twist they weren't.  I used 5 different powders and info recommended from the vendor but just couldn't get them to stabilize.  After shooting all the bullets I went to Bergers website and put in the info about the bullet in their "Twist Rate Stability Calculator" and found the bullet would was outside the stable range.  I would at least use their calculator before you buy the bullets.

Jason
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 8:41:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 6:46:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Rate of twist is matched with the length of the bullet, not weight.  In a normal lead bullet the length is directly proportional to the weight.  When you change the material, and density, of the bullet that proportionality isn't true.

So no, you can't use a longer copper bullet even if its the same weight as a stable lead bullet.  The longer projectile won't necessarily be stable.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 9:34:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Mad_Max1611:
So my precision rifle is a old Remington 700 varminter in 243. These guns had really slow twists so i can really only run up to 75 grain bullets to get the best accuracy. Do you think switching to a solid copper bullet thats 75 grains would be worth it as it would increase the length of the projectile making it more aerodynamic?
View Quote

No !

Bullet stability is based on L E N G T H not on weight ! It just so happens that gilding jacketed bullets filled with lead have the property that in a given caliber, a given weight will all end up being "about" the same length. But Bullet stability remains based on L E N G T H.

Monolithic bullets are INVARIABLY longer (well not if you make them out of Tungsten or Uranium, but I digress), so for the length of bullet you barrel stabilizes, you need a lighter monolithic bullet than your gilded lead bullet.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 10:35:58 PM EDT
[#6]
ok thanks for the info guys! Guess I should just stick with the vmax
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 1:44:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Mad_Max1611:
ok thanks for the info guys! Guess I should just stick with the vmax
View Quote
Will it do the 87 vmax? It's been a while but I seem to remember it being decent for being light.

If not just shoot what you got. I've seen plenty of guys with light varmint guns tear it up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top