Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2016 11:46:10 AM EDT
Is it any good?
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 11:55:08 AM EDT
[#1]
I sure hope so after the unrelenting hype over the last few months.  I use the 140 grain BTHP to 1000 yards and shoots 1/2 moa so I am happy with that and the new bullet is supposed to be better than that.
Link Posted: 3/27/2016 3:00:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/28/2016 11:53:40 PM EDT
[#3]
great I ordered some so I was hoping it was money well spent
Link Posted: 4/6/2016 4:11:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Buy 3 boxes of ammo from www.grafs.com and get a free hand gun case.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 5:02:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: AKJP] [#5]
I was able to pick up a box of these from a local shop today. So, I'll be testing them out as soon as possible. I have run the following bullets through my Tikka in 6.5x55: Nosler 140CC, Hornady 140 BTHP and A-Max, Lapua 139 Scenar , Sierra 142gr Match King and Berger 140 VLD Target.  The rifle shoots everything extremely well and out to about 800 yards, they're all pretty much equal. However, being that the throat in my rifle is so long, I can't really get the Bergers seated out far enough to make the best use of them. Beyond 800 yards (I shot in 1000 yard F-Class matches last year), the 142 SMK seems to hold a distinct advantage over all the others and this is over H4350 (which is interesting, because all the others seem to prefer H4831SC). With the SMK, I found that they shoot best out of my rifle when they are jammed about .010" into the lands. This is as long as I can seat them and still have anything left for the neck to hold onto. So, I was curious to see how the 143 ELD-X would compare in this regard.

When I got home, I pulled out my chamber length gauge and caliper and started taking some measurements. I found that the ELD-X touched the lands at a COAL that was much longer than any other bullet I've tried. At first, I was thinking that there was no way in hell this bullet was going to be able to be seated out that long, but I found that I still had the base of the bullet about even with the base of the case neck and there was PLENTY of hold in the neck. So, my next step will be to load up some test batches and see how they do. I don't want to jam them if I don't have to, but was relieved to see that I have plenty of room to do so, if required. If anyone else has any experience with these, especially with regard to "jump vs. jam", I hope they can post it. Otherwise, I'll try to put up a range report/update, as soon as possible. Between weather and scheduling around excavating companies/equipment in the gravel pit where I shoot, it might be a week or two before I can get out and ring them out and, even then, I might only be able to get to 850 yards, max. Maybe not even that far to start with. But, I'm going to give it my best shot.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 1:59:59 PM EDT
[#6]
It finally stopped raining after two straight days and I was able to set up a 100 yard range to do an initial test of these bullets in two different rifles chambered in 6.5x55.

First, I shot the M96 Mauser (as issued with irons and built in 1907). I discovered while loading these that I could not run them long enough to touch the lands, or even really that close, due to the magazine length. I ended up seating them to 3.200" COAL over H4831SC. I also shot a control group with my pet load of the Hornady 140gr BTHP over the same charge (but these shoot best at a COAL of 3.150"). The BTHP control load shot a group of 7/8". The new ELD-X bullet shot a 9/16" group, right out of the gate! It also printed higher than the BTHP group, so I think that I should be able to take a 6 o'clock hold at 300 to find the X ring on an NRA SR-3 target, but we'll see how it goes. Not sure when I'll be able to do that, but I'll be sure to report on it when I take them out further. I normally test the M96 at 300 and 600 yards, to try and match the 300 and 600 meter rear sight settings.

Next up was my Tikka. My objective for this test was to use this bullet over my two preferred powders and at two different lengths, being .010 and .020" off the lands. I wanted to see how they performed compared to the 142gr SMK/H4350 match load I have been using. So, I jumped straight to the same charges that I've used with that load. Pressure appears to actually be less than the SMK load (probably because the SMK is jammed by .010"). I had one load of each powder (H4350 and H4831SC) and each length that shot better than the other. The longer H4350 load shot better than the shorter one and the shorter H4831SC load shot better than the longer one. These two printed one hole groups and were to the same POI as my SMK load. So, we are good to go, there and I won't have to worry about adding/subtracting any elevation for a zero shift when it comes time to test them at long range. I want the next test to be at a minimum of 600 yards, but will try to do 800+ if I have the opportunity.

So far, I'm very impressed. This bullet has performed as good or better than my "pet" loads, in two different rifles and that's just with the very first test, which is a good sign.
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 1:37:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I was able to run the next set of tests on this bullet, this morning. While I wasn't able to get as far out as I wanted, I have at least established some base numbers and determined the load I want to work with. That is the H4350 load with the bullet seated to 3.252" COAL. I shot today at 475 yards, is as far as I could set up for, being that they are working in the gravel pit. Wind was a variable crosswind of 0-6mph. The first couple batches I tested off my rickety folding bench and the Caldwell Rock Jr. front rest with a rear bag. Groups were in the 3.5 to 4.25" range, which isn't too shabby. However, I was pretty certain that my shooting platform was not allowing me to get the full potential here. So, I set up again, but this time firing prone, from the bipod and with a rear bag. While I was setting up to do this, the wind died to zero and I rushed the first shot, not being centered behind the rifle and it went wide left (like five inches!). The next four, however......

That is the second best group that this rifle has ever shot (the best being a 1.5" five shot group at 600 yards with the 142gr SMK). This was also the clincher for me to pick H4350, since H4831SC didn't show any improvement when shooting prone. The H4350 load is identical in every way to my usual SMK match load, other than the bullet being used and the fact that I'm not jamming the ELD-X. This was with the bullet 0.20" off the lands.

I also noted something else. About 6-8" behind my target board, which was sitting in my wood pile, I had the top of an old dresser that was 5/8" press board. There are some holes in it from where I was shooting some of the Hornady 140 BTHP and Lapua 139 Scenar loads, last year. I noted that the new holes, made by the Hornady ELD-X were larger. This is a hunting bullet and is supposed to expand and, at first glance,  it looks like it's starting to do so, even after only passing through the 1/4" fiberboard that I use to staple the targets to. However, after taking a closer look, it also appears to be more like the bullet is starting to tumble. I also noticed the more pronounced "THWACK!" when the bullet hits the target, not unlike the big Mack truck, 156gr RN Norma Alaska bullet (but this one's moving about 300 fps faster!). Right now, I'm estimating my velocity at about 2825 fps. I have a feeling that this bullet will put plenty of energy on target.

Note the new holes, compared to the old ones.

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 2:10:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I got some for my 6.5 SAUM, but I am sure tempted to use them in my 6.5CM with some RL17.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:57:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Small update.

I got out again the other day and was able to shoot at 840 yards. Unfortunately, the wind was picking up as I was setting up. My first three rounds printed a group of 4.5". The next five, in the strongest wind (which was switching and a variable 3-12mph) and after giving .1 mil up for elevation, was just under 8". So, nothing really conclusive, but still sub-MOA in a switching, variable wind with no spotter and I was just holding the X. Calm days are hard to come by around here, especially this time of year. But, I'll be out to try again, the first chance I get.

Link Posted: 9/16/2016 11:22:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:

Yes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Beachhead0:
Is it any good?

Yes.

Link Posted: 9/18/2016 8:12:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bearcat24] [#11]
Originally Posted By GMZ:
I got some for my 6.5 SAUM, but I am sure tempted to use them in my 6.5CM with some RL17.
View Quote

Am having good luck with 140 ELD-M and RL-17 since I couldn't find H4350. Just picked up 2 lbs of H4350 to try it out. Will be trying my luck next month out to 1000 yards.
Link Posted: 9/18/2016 8:12:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd like to hear some experiences on how these have worked on animals if any of you guys have done so. Or do I have to be the guinea pig? I set up for a 400yd shot hoping to see some hogs yesterday but it was a bust. I was using the regular ELD's though.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 1:43:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I too am interested in hearing about on game performance.  So far my experience with the 162gr ELD-X has not been favorable shooting from my Tikka in 7mm Mag.  Best group i've been able to do is right at 1MOA at 100yds.  That's with the Precision Hunter as well as hand loads.  What's bad is the 140gr round nose S&B will do .5" at 100yds.  My brother is finding the same results with his custom built rifle in 7mm Mag.  MOA is the best he's done so far with the Precision Hunter ammo and with another brand(don't remember) he was sub MOA.  It has me a little leary to invest in the .264" version if this is all I can get.  My 6.5x55 is a CZ but has a full stock and 20.5" barrel.  It's .5" with Sierra Game Kings over top of IMR 7828SSC.  Problem with the Sierra is the fact that they were designed for the 264 Win Mag and need high velocity to expand.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 7:48:44 PM EDT
[#14]
If your reloading these, don't put them close to the lands. I tried and got terrible results. Put them back per reload manual and tightened right up. This is out of my 308 rifle with a 24 inch barrel.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 8:14:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 1:48:27 AM EDT
[#16]
I have heard people are getting g better accuracy with the ELD-M bullets versus the ELD-X. Any one notice this? I have a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel on order and finally found some ELD-X bullets.

I am mostly.shooting at paper and steel but for a few cents more per round I would like a bullet I can hunt with.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 9:37:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 9:34:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Good to see all of these reviews, I plan on grabbing 500 of them to shoot through a Creedmoor. I'm interested to see how the Lapua brass turns out too.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 10:09:50 AM EDT
[#19]
I shot both yesterday, but didn't do a side by side.
I was using factory ammo...140ELDM and 143 EDLMX.
The 147ELDM are shipping now according to Hornady.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 11:38:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By RWM:
I shot both yesterday, but didn't do a side by side.
I was using factory ammo...140ELDM and 143 EDLMX.
The 147ELDM are shipping now according to Hornady.
View Quote

I've had 147s in hand for about a month.
Link Posted: 12/16/2016 2:19:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 9:09:49 AM EDT
[#22]
Yup I have some 147s in hand as well. They shoot very well and I got them going 2825fps from my 27" barrel.
View Quote

What's brass life going to be like at that speed?  my 6.5x47 wasn't going about 2700.  Granted it would probably do more with more freebore.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:04:47 AM EDT
[#23]
After testing both side by side for 100 rounds each, 140 ELD-M was more accurate. I only buy 140 ELD-M and not 143 ELD-X now. I'm fine hunting with ELD-M for hogs on up to white tail.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 9:40:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By DevL:
After testing both side by side for 100 rounds each, 140 ELD-M was more accurate. I only buy 140 ELD-M and not 143 ELD-X now. I'm fine hunting with ELD-M for hogs on up to white tail.
View Quote
Pretty much my experience as well. The 143 X did shoot just a hair under MOA and would probably do ok hunting, but the 140M is just incredibly accurate and consistent.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:09:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CanNevrHaveEnuffGuns] [#25]
Originally Posted By Palladin8:
I too am interested in hearing about on game performance.  So far my experience with the 162gr ELD-X has not been favorable shooting from my Tikka in 7mm Mag.  Best group I've been able to do is right at 1MOA at 100yds.  That's with the Precision Hunter as well as hand loads.  What's bad is the 140gr round nose S&B will do .5" at 100yds.  My brother is finding the same results with his custom built rifle in 7mm Mag.  MOA is the best he's done so far with the Precision Hunter ammo and with another brand(don't remember) he was sub MOA.  It has me a little leary to invest in the .264" version if this is all I can get.  My 6.5x55 is a CZ but has a full stock and 20.5" barrel.  It's .5" with Sierra Game Kings over top of IMR 7828SSC.  Problem with the Sierra is the fact that they were designed for the 264 Win Mag and need high velocity to expand.
View Quote
This has been my experience as well. I've handloaded some 162 ELD-X's in 7mm-08 and the very best single group I've gotten was right at MOA. I tried with different charges of I4064 and Accurate 4350. I tried loading to a COAL from the Hornady manual, 2.755 which I thought was short. I loaded a second batch with 2.765 and got no appreciable difference. I may mix up a batch jammed into the lands just to see.

I thought my own novice status as a reloader might be impacting the accuracy so I set out to purchase some factory Precision Hunter ammo, which is a 150gr 7mm-08 load. And it is nowhere to be found on shelves.

I then tried the 6.5 Creedmoor factory PH 143 ELD-X in my Tikka CTR 24". This gun regularly prints 1/2-3/4 MOA with every single factory load I've tried, which include Hornady Black 140 OTM, Hornady 140 ELDM, 147 ELDM and 120 ELDM.

THE 143 ELDX shot 1 MOA. I think I may not purchase any more of these slugs or factory rounds, and start the search for another hunting bullet.

FWIW, Hornady Black shot superbly, just a slight distance away from being one ragged hole. I'm impressed as hell and it's $20/box. Good stuff.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:17:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:24:41 AM EDT
[#27]
Try loading them .020" off the lands. Don't worry about book OAL.
View Quote
So I tried the trick of putting a slug into a spent case and then chambering it. Came out to a whopping 2.910 when I pulled the dummy cartridge. I tried loading to 2.890 and each loaded cartridge at that distance showed a small scoring right at the beginning of the ogive.

I loaded back and back until there was no scoring on the bullet, and that's how I landed at 2.765. I don't know if there's a burr at the front of my chamber or what.

Hornady' recommended seating seemed wayyy too short for me. Every load in the A4350 was compressed and the higher charges of I4064 were also slightly compressed loads. This thing needs to sit further forward! I can't imagine it promotes even distribution of pressure to have the ass end of the bullet set deeply into the case.

I'm not sure the reason for those bullets being scratched yet and I'm a newer reloader as it is. It is only on one side, so it isn't that all the lands are rubbing into copper. It's a factory Remington barrel.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:32:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Too small sample size, but fired 3 shots at 100y to check zero. All touching. That doesn't say much, but it's a good sign.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 12:20:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 12:31:05 PM EDT
[#30]

The Creedmoor 143 length should be at 2.810" per book. You are too short at that 2.765.

As for your OAL check, are you loading from mag or carefully sliding bullet into chamber? The first can leave marks that might be mistaken for lands. Also if the bullet is not being pushed into the case then it's not hitting lands. Load it to 2.950" and chamber and the length when you pull out is the length to lands. Do it a couple times. Then load .020" off that. Depending on your chamber it might be 2.890". With the 147 ELD I am at 2.870" at .020" off the lands.
View Quote
Thank you for that advice- it's brilliant. I have seriously learned so much in these Arfcom precision forums. I loaded my dummy round delicately into the chamber directly and I did the same to my loaded rounds once I saw they were getting scratched.

I'll go home and try again.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 12:49:14 AM EDT
[#31]
My experience is ALL with factory loaded Hornady ammo in a JP AR10 barrel.  For me the 140 ELDM is tops, but the 147 ELDM and 143 ELDX are no where near as accurate. YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/19/2018 7:54:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Hornady offers their precision hunter 143 gr. ELDX @ 2700 FPS as advertised. I’ve shot some of this stuff through my Ruger Precision Enhanced Rifle. 1/4” groups @100 yards consistently. I’m very impressed with this load.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 2:02:31 AM EDT
[#33]
The143 gr ELD-Xs shoot very well out of my Bergara B-14 6.5C.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top