Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2014 10:39:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VA-gunnut]
Dont know if this is the best forum for this, but Im going on an Elk trip next year and its giving me an excuse to build another gun. Ive got a LA Remmy I can build off of, but would rather use my SA Savage. Looking at either a Manners T5 sotck or a chassis from MDT the LSS, to keep the weight down. LSS Chassis.

That being said what caliber would you guys recommend that easily available (I dont reload) and can still take an elk at 500-600ish yards. An I realize some might think thats to far to shoot an animal, but Ill get comfy with the gun and wont take a shot, Im not 100% certain will be in the bread basket, I just want to know its there, if I need it.

Or should I get this SA idea out of my head, build a 7mag or 300win of the Remmy?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 12:54:30 PM EDT
[#1]
if your set on the short action go 7WSM and be done with it!
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 4:48:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By ColtMatch556:
View Quote

I agree on the WSM part but would recommend the 300wsm. Around here the ammo availability is much better for the 300 vs 7.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 5:53:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By westernsky:
Originally Posted By ColtMatch556:
View Quote

I agree on the WSM part but would recommend the 300wsm. Around here the ammo availability is much better for the 300 vs 7.
View Quote

+1 on 300wsm.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 6:52:40 PM EDT
[#4]
That's easy ... 300 WSM

Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:07:31 PM EDT
[#5]
A .260
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 9:07:30 PM EDT
[#6]
My dad let my uncle use my .308 for an elk hunt while I was in Iraq one year ()

I don't know why...as my uncle has a .270....
I guess he thought .308 would have more power because .308 is a bigger number than .270 (I'm serious)

Anyway, it killed a bull elk at around 200 yards DRT
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 11:08:12 PM EDT
[#7]
All great options, might also consider the 6.5 SAUM as well.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 5:57:50 AM EDT
[#8]
7mm-08?
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 8:37:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: captrichardson] [#9]
NOTE - the OP does NOT reload, so while I would also say 6.5 SAUM, unless he wants to spend "big money" on "custom mail order ammo", he is probably going to be much better off sticking a caliber that has plenty of ammo readily available off the shelf.

Not sure if you have ventured to Long Range Hunting, but you can read to your hearts desire there on the subject:
http://www.longrangehunting.com/

You are probably going to find "2 camps" on this subject:
"Minimalists" - they are going to recommend a 6.5mm or 7mm round. They work, but shot placement is very important.
"Maximist" - they are going to recommend a .30 cal round. With the larger/heavier bullets, the shot placement is a little more forgiving.

All things being equal, I would look at:
Ammo - what can you get your hands on, what are you willing to spend per round? You have got to be able to feed it!
Recoil - what will you do to mitigate it (muzzle brake, weight, etc)? If nothing, watch going for the big boomers like a .30 cal mag, especially if this is going to be a lightweight rifle. Nothing worse than not practicing because you don't want to get beat up. Nothing worse than developing a flinch.
Barrel Life - if this is going to be a limited use hunting rifle, not that much of an issue, but just be aware that some of the overbore magnums can torch a barrel at 1,000 rounds or less if you plan on shooting it regularly.

Sorry for the generalities, but there is going to be a lot of personal preference in this decision, as there are a lot of options that would work in this case, it comes down to what will work the best for you?

Best of Luck,
M Richardson
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 2:39:02 PM EDT
[#10]
I use a 7mm-08 on everything. I've killed 2 cows with it and had friends use it to kill a cow and one bull. Nice and light so you can pack it all day but it has very little recoil so your not afraid to shoot it but plenty of ass to kill a elk.
Link Posted: 10/2/2014 3:21:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/16/2014 10:51:57 PM EDT
[#12]
agree 300WSM as a min, but I have a 325 that us crazy accurate.
Link Posted: 10/17/2014 9:23:49 AM EDT
[#13]
.300WSM or .325WSM
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 9:23:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I would go 300wsm for sure.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 1:43:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Hatr40] [#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dangerdan:

I guess he thought .308 would have more power because .308 is a bigger number than .270 (I'm serious)

View Quote

When you join the Army, you go to Iraq, When you go to Iraq, people pilfer your stuff.  When people pilfer your stuff, the good idea fairy visits them.  When the good idea fairy knocks, they go on elk hunts with your shit.  Don't go to the Army.  Buy Direct TV.  

Sorry man, couldn't resist.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 11:58:38 AM EDT
[#16]
338 Federal. For one it will last you your lifetime and your kids life time. Any of the WSM's are going to last about 1500 rounds. The only one that is not listed as a barrel burner is the 325 WSM. That would be my choice for a WSM.
Link Posted: 11/17/2014 1:46:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ScooterInVegas] [#17]
If I were building a mid-long range hunting gun on a short action today, it would be a 7mm SAUM. It will push a 180g pill in the 2850fps range with a 24" barrel. Slightly longer barrel life over the 6.5-284. Still a bit of a barrel burner but again, we are talking "hunting" rifle, not target rifle.

Link Posted: 1/18/2015 5:51:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#18]
Originally Posted By ScooterInVegas:
If I were building a mid-long range hunting gun on a short action today, it would be a 7mm SAUM. It will push a 180g pill in the 2850fps range with a 24" barrel. Slightly longer barrel life over the 6.5-284. Still a bit of a barrel burner but again, we are talking "hunting" rifle, not target rifle.  
View Quote

You really need about 2,000 ft. lbs of energy, no less than 1,500 at the target to reliably and ethically take an elk and know it will not be crippled and lost.

At 500-600 yards that is asking a lot of the cartridge, even if you are up to the task.

Run the external and terminal ballistics out to 500 and 600.  Do the math.

I think you will find that only the belted magnums are going to get you there, at least 7mm, preferably 30 or 338.

My magnum action Mark V 300 Weatherby is up to that task at 600, but that requires a 26" barrel.  I am not good enough to make that shot ethically.  Four hundred is my limit on game, 300 if it there is wind.  You are likely to have worked to get in position and will be tired. This is not ringing steel at the range.
Link Posted: 1/19/2015 6:05:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Another vote for the 300wsm or the 325. I have shot elk with a few calibers from 7-08 through 45-70. I have a new Kimber in 300wsm coming for my next rifle elk hunt.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 12:40:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LRRPF52] [#20]
I don't agree with the 1500-2000ft-lbs arbitrary requirement.  Not being argumentative for the sake of it, but just based on what I've seen with Elk and Moose, you need a bullet that will go through the vitals and give you an exit if you're the type of hunter that wants a through-and-through, with good expansion going through the lung-heart-lung or lung-lung.  You can also go for the more difficult spine shot.

The question then becomes:  Does my bullet have the penetration and expansion necessary to make it through the hide, fascia, and thorax in the intended area?  On bigger bulls and some cows, that distance can be quite wide, but it rarely exceeds 24".  Most Elk have a back to brisket height of 24-30", when looking at them from the side, and while they are magnificent beasts with massive antlers when fully mature, they have very efficient musculature and are rather lean animals accustomed to traversing steep terrain at high altitude very swiftly.  Most of their chests are 22" to 24" wide at the thorax, measured at the widest point on the ribcage.

So what bullets will make it through, with good expansion for maximum wounding of the lungs and heart?

Pretty much any premium bullet will get you at least 22" of penetration at lower impact speeds when talking about 6.5mm and higher calibers from a case capacity of the -08 class of cartridges.

The next question is how often can you practically get trigger time with the cartridge?  Does it have mild or heavy recoil?  Is it $20-$30 a box, or $50 + per box of 20rds?

Does the recoil beat scopes from the rings and bases, and vibrate the tube and springs so violently, that you need to spend bank on optics?

This is why I like 6.5mm so much.  Low recoil, excellent retained energy, can spend all day at the range getting proficient, easy on optics, great expansion and penetration since the hunting pills have been made with legacy cartridge in mind like the 6.5x55 Masuer and 6.5 Mannlicher-Shoenauer.  For Elk, the Barnes 120gr TTSX or TSX will anchor them, as will the Hornady 120gr GMX and 129 Interbond.

The 140gr and 156-160gr pills have excellent penetration also.

I'm of the school of thought to keep the bullets slower from the muzzle, in the mid-2000's, rather than try to nuclear load them and cause explosive effects on the superficial tissue.  My neighbor shot a bull elk this past season with a .270 Win. with 130gr Core Lokts.....4 times.  He thought he was missing at a distance of 75yds, and aimed a little higher, getting a spine shot that finally brought it down.  The previous 3 bullets exploded on the hide, and the animal stood there chewing its cud.

Had they been going slower, he could have had decent penetration.   It's why I recommend the 140gr SST for deer and 130gr GMX or 150gr IB for elk in the .270, along with the Barnes offerings.  That 130gr Core-lokt is good for blowing apart water jugs, and shooting antelope at 300yds +, where it has finally slowed down enough not to explode.

One great cartridge to get is the 6.5x55 Mauser, and order up as many cases of PPU 139gr SP ammo as possible for practice, at $14.88 per box of 20.

Then get some Federal Fusion 140gr or Hornady Superformance with the 120gr GMX for game time.  You will get insane trigger time with a lightweight rifle that doesn't recoil much at all, with flat trajectory, very little wind drift, and has plenty of premium loads available for it.  I recommend this over the 6.5 Creedmoor simply because of factory ammunition options from PPU that cost so much less, even though performance is about the same.

Every other recommendation from there will cost more.  The confidence you gain from a rifle that you can train with regularly for minimal cost, with maximum results at the balance of efficiency point will set you up for success more than any other equipment solution.  Being able to spot your own hits is a very rewarding experience as a shooter, as opposed to the magnum blasters.

For 500-600yds hunting elk, you are now in a skill set that will require some professional instruction on long-range shooting and hunting.  For those distances, you will want the services of a reputable guide, unless you have a very solid long-range background already yourself.  For those of us that shoot a lot of long-range, 500-600yds on a target the size of an elk's vitals, which are ~14.5"-15.5", isn't really that difficult if you plug in your atmospherics, laser-range the target, know how to accurately compensate for trajectory, and are good at calling wind.  This is also assuming the shooter can hold 1.5 MOA accuracy in the field, from a field position.  That's going to take quality instruction and trigger time.
Link Posted: 3/1/2015 10:26:24 AM EDT
[#21]
7mm-08 vote
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:28:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Hatr40:

When you join the Army, you go to Iraq, When you go to Iraq, people pilfer your stuff.  When people pilfer your stuff, the good idea fairy visits them.  When the good idea fairy knocks, they go on elk hunts with your shit.  Don't go to the Army.  Buy Direct TV.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

LMAO. I love it.
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:35:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:
I don't agree with the 1500-2000ft-lbs arbitrary requirement.  Not being argumentative for the sake of it, but just based on what I've seen with Elk and Moose, you need a bullet that will go through the vitals and give you an exit if you're the type of hunter that wants a through-and-through, with good expansion going through the lung-heart-lung or lung-lung.  You can also go for the more difficult spine shot.

http://www.ryankirbyillustration.com/images/illustrations/ryan_kirby_illustration_remington_elk_anatomy.jpg

The question then becomes:  Does my bullet have the penetration and expansion necessary to make it through the hide, fascia, and thorax in the intended area?  On bigger bulls and some cows, that distance can be quite wide, but it rarely exceeds 24".  Most Elk have a back to brisket height of 24-30", when looking at them from the side, and while they are magnificent beasts with massive antlers when fully mature, they have very efficient musculature and are rather lean animals accustomed to traversing steep terrain at high altitude very swiftly.  Most of their chests are 22" to 24" wide at the thorax, measured at the widest point on the ribcage.

http://image.sportsmansguide.com/adimgs/l/2/221151_ts.jpg

So what bullets will make it through, with good expansion for maximum wounding of the lungs and heart?

Pretty much any premium bullet will get you at least 22" of penetration at lower impact speeds when talking about 6.5mm and higher calibers from a case capacity of the -08 class of cartridges.

The next question is how often can you practically get trigger time with the cartridge?  Does it have mild or heavy recoil?  Is it $20-$30 a box, or $50 + per box of 20rds?

Does the recoil beat scopes from the rings and bases, and vibrate the tube and springs so violently, that you need to spend bank on optics?

This is why I like 6.5mm so much.  Low recoil, excellent retained energy, can spend all day at the range getting proficient, easy on optics, great expansion and penetration since the hunting pills have been made with legacy cartridge in mind like the 6.5x55 Masuer and 6.5 Mannlicher-Shoenauer.  For Elk, the Barnes 120gr TTSX or TSX will anchor them, as will the Hornady 120gr GMX and 129 Interbond.

The 140gr and 156-160gr pills have excellent penetration also.

I'm of the school of thought to keep the bullets slower from the muzzle, in the mid-2000's, rather than try to nuclear load them and cause explosive effects on the superficial tissue.  My neighbor shot a bull elk this past season with a .270 Win. with 130gr Core Lokts.....4 times.  He thought he was missing at a distance of 75yds, and aimed a little higher, getting a spine shot that finally brought it down.  The previous 3 bullets exploded on the hide, and the animal stood there chewing its cud.

Had they been going slower, he could have had decent penetration.   It's why I recommend the 140gr SST for deer and 130gr GMX or 150gr IB for elk in the .270, along with the Barnes offerings.  That 130gr Core-lokt is good for blowing apart water jugs, and shooting antelope at 300yds +, where it has finally slowed down enough not to explode.

One great cartridge to get is the 6.5x55 Mauser, and order up as many cases of PPU 139gr SP ammo as possible for practice, at $14.88 per box of 20.

Then get some Federal Fusion 140gr or Hornady Superformance with the 120gr GMX for game time.  You will get insane trigger time with a lightweight rifle that doesn't recoil much at all, with flat trajectory, very little wind drift, and has plenty of premium loads available for it.  I recommend this over the 6.5 Creedmoor simply because of factory ammunition options from PPU that cost so much less, even though performance is about the same.

Every other recommendation from there will cost more.  The confidence you gain from a rifle that you can train with regularly for minimal cost, with maximum results at the balance of efficiency point will set you up for success more than any other equipment solution.  Being able to spot your own hits is a very rewarding experience as a shooter, as opposed to the magnum blasters.

For 500-600yds hunting elk, you are now in a skill set that will require some professional instruction on long-range shooting and hunting.  For those distances, you will want the services of a reputable guide, unless you have a very solid long-range background already yourself.  For those of us that shoot a lot of long-range, 500-600yds on a target the size of an elk's vitals, which are ~14.5"-15.5", isn't really that difficult if you plug in your atmospherics, laser-range the target, know how to accurately compensate for trajectory, and are good at calling wind.  This is also assuming the shooter can hold 1.5 MOA accuracy in the field, from a field position.  That's going to take quality instruction and trigger time.
View Quote

QFT

This is the best post in this thread
Link Posted: 3/3/2015 9:46:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bounce19712] [#24]
I'm gonna use 7.62x54R in a SA (vepr)...but under 200yards

still testing 180gn commercial loads

Link Posted: 3/8/2015 12:41:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Elk are an amazing tough animal to bring down unless you get that excellent well placed shot. At that kind of range, it would be easy to lose an animal in the brush, because it will take some time to get on its trail if it does not drop immediately. I would always recommend the maximum cartridge you can comfortably shoot. The .325 WSM or possibly the .300 WSM at that range would be OK if as you say, you will only take the clear shot. This is easier said than done, because elk hunting is usually very challenging.
Link Posted: 3/13/2015 6:29:56 PM EDT
[#26]
If using factory ammo then the 7mm Rem Mag in the LA Rem 700 would be my suggestion.

If you really have to use  SA then the .308 Win is going to be hard to beat for factory loads.
Link Posted: 6/16/2015 1:07:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Any of the above cartridges sound good to me. My experience is not being used to the altitude change back off your range I did. I dropped my range back to 300 yards and in just because I could not get comfortable with the altitude change on my body. I had to change my breathing routine and not to mention sometimes the terrain did not allow me to get low enough to be comfortable with longer shots. I chose a 7mm Rem Mag main reason it was heavy enough for me to get comfortable with in awkward positions, and I ended up with a close to 200 yard offhand shot that I would not have felt comfortable with a featherweight rifle.

You may be used to the altitude but that was a wake up call to me. I took a light weight .270 for a back up rifle but after trying to get settled with it put it back up and never took it out agin. I think the altitude is going to be a bigger player than your caliber choice. I would go with as long a barrel as I could plus a medium weight stock that you are real comfortable with shooting off edge of a tree or shooting sticks.
Link Posted: 6/18/2015 10:56:17 AM EDT
[#28]
I've hunted Elk in almost every state west of the Rockies and IMHO the best all around Elk caliber for all conditions is the 338 Win Mag, I know it's not a short action but ammo is out there and plentiful.  It has enough punch to go through branches and trees that Elk like to hide in and you may not see when you're lining up your shot.  

Years ago I got a very good deal on a Remington 700 AWR in 375 H&H that shoots lights out.  I use a 270 grain Barnes triple shock bullet and I've killed a fair number of elk with that setup out to 600 yards and none has ever gone more than 10'.  It's lightweight, accurate and I can get ammunition almost anywhere if something happens to my hand loads, no need for anything else.  If anything ever happened to my 375 I'd be right back to the 338.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 4:15:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By billyjo:
I've hunted Elk in almost every state west of the Rockies and IMHO the best all around Elk caliber for all conditions is the 338 Win Mag, I know it's not a short action but ammo is out there and plentiful.  It has enough punch to go through branches and trees that Elk like to hide in and you may not see when you're lining up your shot.  

Years ago I got a very good deal on a Remington 700 AWR in 375 H&H that shoots lights out.  I use a 270 grain Barnes triple shock bullet and I've killed a fair number of elk with that setup out to 600 yards and none has ever gone more than 10'.  It's lightweight, accurate and I can get ammunition almost anywhere if something happens to my hand loads, no need for anything else.  If anything ever happened to my 375 I'd be right back to the 338.
View Quote

I'm sorry but your shooting elk through trees and branches? Come on guy. Those cannons will work but shit a lot smaller will work just as good.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 10:09:05 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm going to be hammering mine with a 139gr Scenar.  

I think these discussions are not real productive...I believe the emphasis should be on which round you can shoot most accurately and have confidence in.

Shoot a round that you can shoot accurately out to your intended hunting range.  Shot placement is much more important than caliber of projectile.  

Link Posted: 12/26/2015 9:18:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RattleCanAR] [#31]
Originally Posted By Saber329:

LMAO. I love it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Saber329:

LMAO. I love it.

My pop loaned out my late 80s Rem700 30/06 to a guy for a season in 91 while I was off for GW1, It got messed up and not cared for.  I was upset and the guy ending up buying it.  I did not want it messed or sold because it was one of those rare .75 MOA factory guns and had a great prelawyer trigger.  Oh well.

Oh yeah, stout load of your choice powder under a 150TSX for elk under 300 yards.  Bolt gun, 300WSM for the win.  The 300 and 270WSM are popular rounds but the 300 can get you though bigger critters.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 8:07:33 AM EDT
[#32]
I used a .308 last year on my cow. Shot her slightly uphill at about 121 yds. She ran about 50 yds down hill (thank god) and died on the spot. I was shooting 150 gr Barnes TTSX, and had good shot placement on her. That .308 worked well for me, and will be going with me again this year, but next year, I'm probably going to pick up a bolt gun in 7mm Mag or .300 Win Mag just for the extra oomph and reduced carry weight (my .308 is an AR)
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 12:51:27 PM EDT
[#33]
So much crazy talk. Magnums are too much for most people. If you don't reload then standard calibers are perfectly capable of good performance.

Shooting a 178 ELD-X at 2550 from my 18" Ruger .308 at 8500 ft of elevation I am still getting  1529 ft/lb at 500 and 1370 at 600 yards. Way more than I really need for a good pass through and good expansion. That's the key!

Energy is so arbitrary that  I have never once heard any of my dead elk whine or cry about getting shot by a substandard .308. We are bad about telling women and children to use a 7mm-08 or a .260 but insist we need a magnum caliber... makes no sense. To add to that, a 600 yard shot on a large game animal is the exception and not the norm.

I say pick a good caliber off the shelf. Make sure you have the 1000 foot pounds of energy required at a given distance by the wildlife department of the state you hunt in and go for it. If barrel life is a concern, go 308. Pretty much the best barrel life EVER. As a side note, I LOVE the 338 Federal. I wish it had more support though.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 11:37:04 PM EDT
[#34]
I wish there was more out for the .338 federal! My buddy who is a hunting but uses 338-06 on everything. He prefers it to his .300 win mag Sako
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 10:51:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LRRPF52] [#35]
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 10:32:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: greentimber] [#36]
For someone who doesn't reload, there are really two good choices (and then there's the 308).

#1 300 WSM
#2 6.5 Creedmoor

I'd go 6.5mm. More fun year round and will kill an elk no problemo at 500-600yds. I shot my last rifle elk at 725 yards with a .260 Rem (identical ballistics to 6.5 CM).

......Edited to add......

I also own several 300 WSM. That's an absolutely fantastic round and will give you many more good choices in factory ammo. The downsides are recoil and ammo cost.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 7:43:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Ive killed 2 bulls with my 308 using 180gr nosler partition at 400yds and 165 sierra game king at 200yds. Gun works great. Ive also killed elk with my 270 using 150gr when i was a teenager. Just practice with the gun and youll bd good
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 12:55:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:
6.5 Creedmoor vs. Bull Elk 603yds
View Quote
Totally agree. This round is the bees knees!
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 9:10:09 AM EDT
[#39]
I feel the 300 WSM is probably the most popular short action cartridge capable of cleanly taking elk sized game at the distances you listed. and by popular I mean in terms of availability.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 11:01:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Here's VortexSam and his 740yd bull elk, 6.5 Creedmoor shooting 140gr bergers.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 9:43:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By billyjo:
It has enough punch to go through branches and trees that Elk like to hide in and you may not see when you're lining up your shot.
View Quote
What a load of crap. It's been well proven that bullets, regardless of what cartridge they come out of, don't punch through trees and tree branches.  If you can't see a tree in the way when you're lining up your shot them you need glasses.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 9:46:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Talyn] [#42]
Bullet performance and placement is key with taking any game animal.  The Swedes have been killing moose for over 100 yrs with the 6.5x55.
Link Posted: 1/29/2018 10:13:48 PM EDT
[#43]
i vote for .308 since that what i have and have the most experience with, some people say you need 1500 ft-lbs for elk some say 1000 ft-lbs but with a 185gr projectile at 2600ft the 1500ft-lb threshhold would be a little past 500yds and the 1000 ft-lb threshold would be mid 800's. its really all about shot placement but with all the new high bc bullet offerings .308 is not as far behind other more fashionable bullets. realistically anything works .243, 30-30, 6.5, 260, .308 pick something you'll be comfortable with and go!
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 8:48:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Ive been hunting elk since 1965 and vote for any kind of .300.

Ive butchered over 20 elk and seen 50-60 ? killed with everything from 300 savage (that is dating me) to 338 Lapua and 416 Remington.

I raised american bison for many years and butchered over 100 of them over a twently year period.  Shot them w everything from 30 carbine, 257 weatherby on small side up to 460 weatherby and the 338 was minimum caliber to kill them humqanely w one shot.  Ended up using the 375 improved with bitterroot bullets (first bonded bullet made) for most there after.  As a result I shot alot of elk w 338 and 375.  Elk nowdays are seldom as large as they were back in the day you could scope 200 head from horseback.

Premium bullet have made it possible to use less gun than in years past.  Better choice of ammo in the short magnums in 30 caliber, and you will want to use a premium bullet (bonded, bonded solid base, or copper) for hunting.

As the old African hunter said, Get as close as you can, then ten yards closer.

You are as likely to run into an elk at 50 yards in buck brush as 500 yards across a canyon, so keep your rifle light enough to climb up and down the equivilent of a ski run, twice!

Henrys Law says, "the best place to pack out an elk is where you first see him."

I dont know who Henry was but he knew something about elk hunting.

Ive seen elk wounded and go up and down two canyons w a high hit from a 30-06 and good 180 nosler partition punching through both lungs, and yet many of us have seen elks heart completely destroyed by a 7 or 30 magnum at 100 yards DRT.  Long range shooting has only one advantage and that is the game is often tranquil, not in hot blood, and more likely to lay down and bleed out.

Practice your field craft and good hunting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top