Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/4/2014 11:04:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M4-AK]
Since I'm not slim, the 9 to 13 works best for me. I saw a hunting show the other day with a hunter who was using what looked like a 3 section bipod.
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 4:46:56 PM EDT
[#1]
6-9 harris on mine.  Works well for me prone and from the bench.  I also have a PRS tripod if I need to elevate to seated/kneeling.  
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 5:33:28 PM EDT
[#2]
6-9", and leave it all the way down when prone.

When shooting from a sitting position just use shooting sticks with the bipod.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 2:16:47 AM EDT
[#3]
All mine are wearing 6-9's, can't say I need a taller one from bench or from prone.
Link Posted: 12/24/2014 2:32:33 AM EDT
[#4]
I have 6-9 and 13-27 6" is most stable but sometimes i need to shoot over tall grass and stuff, so seated position the 27" comes in handy
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 1:11:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: shotdown] [#5]
I use the 6-9'' for every day shooting but have had to use the 7-13 and a 13-23" during some matches.  The taller bi-pods were used to clear grass and gates.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 6:15:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I had a 9-13, and when I switched to a 6-9 my groups shrunk from the prone.

For anything else, I use shooting sticks.
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 3:14:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Do you all use regular bipods or the swivel variant? I need one for my rem 700
Link Posted: 1/8/2015 3:43:47 PM EDT
[#8]
swivel
Link Posted: 1/9/2015 10:06:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Swivel and notched legs
Link Posted: 1/12/2015 4:15:34 PM EDT
[#10]
on flat ground or a bench, the 6x9 is best, in the field, grass, small hills, the 9x13 is better, but always get Swivel and notched legs
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 10:20:56 PM EDT
[#11]
I have the Harris 9x13 with notched legs and do not like it now that I am using a level. So............ this evening I had a customer contact me needing a particular rifle so I ordered it and had them throw in a Harris 6x9 smooth leg................. I cannot wait to try it out!! I built a custom shooting bench that I allows me to stand up while I shoot due to a severe back issue that limits me quite a bit on how I shoot. With the 9x13 notched legs I have issues getting things lined up properly for me to shoot. I'll try this 6x9 smooth leg to see how it's going to work out for me. I also have a 9x13 smooth leg with the pivoting bracket but do not use it very much. I can see that one would be great for competition shooting where you would need multiple shooting positions.
Link Posted: 1/13/2015 11:42:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By supv26:
I have the Harris 9x13 with notched legs and do not like it now that I am using a level. So............ this evening I had a customer contact me needing a particular rifle so I ordered it and had them throw in a Harris 6x9 smooth leg................. I cannot wait to try it out!! I built a custom shooting bench that I allows me to stand up while I shoot due to a severe back issue that limits me quite a bit on how I shoot. With the 9x13 notched legs I have issues getting things lined up properly for me to shoot. I'll try this 6x9 smooth leg to see how it's going to work out for me. I also have a 9x13 smooth leg with the pivoting bracket but do not use it very much. I can see that one would be great for competition shooting where you would need multiple shooting positions.
View Quote

why do you not like the notched legs, I dont understand
Link Posted: 1/14/2015 12:18:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: supv26] [#13]
Originally Posted By MTNmyMag:

why do you not like the notched legs, I don't understand
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Well, my custom bench is portable so sometimes the top is not level so if I try to level the gun with the notched legs it seems I can never get the the gun quite level. The smooth legs will allow you to adjust the legs to any length and you can lock them with the thumb nut at any position. With the notched legs you are limited to locking positions only at the notches. It makes a huge difference when you are shooting out to 1,000 yards.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:18:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I received my 6x9 bipod and I think I'm really gonna like this when using my shooting table. I didn't get to shoot today but I did get to glass out a new 800 yard target using my new bipod. This thing is awesome and I'm so much more comfortable behind the scope!!
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 1:21:18 AM EDT
[#15]

Well, my custom bench is portable so sometimes the top is not level so if I try to level the gun with the notched legs it seems I can never get the the gun quite level. The smooth legs will allow you to adjust the legs to any length and you can lock them with the thumb nut at any position. With the notched legs you are limited to locking positions only at the notches. It makes a huge difference when you are shooting out to 1,000 yards.
View All Quotes

I don't have those problems
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 1:54:22 AM EDT
[#16]
6-9
Link Posted: 3/24/2015 9:00:27 AM EDT
[#17]

View All Quotes

You should have bought the swivel version.

I have a 9-13 on my bolt gun and a 6-9 on my AR, either work fine but I never shoot from a bench. The 9-13 works fine from a bench I just have to make my squeeze bag as high as possible.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 4:09:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 4:42:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I have the three section Harris....it will work for kneeling / sitting shots.

for prone I like the 9-13 because I'm in such good shape.... round.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 8:52:54 PM EDT
[#20]
9-13 always the way i setup its the most comfortable plus all my "fun" rifles double as hunting guns.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 2:13:16 AM EDT
[#21]
6-9 Larue-Harris modified on all my rifles.  They are not cheap, but sure do work good.  I had a 9-13, but way too high, either prone or on a bench.  

Link Posted: 4/14/2015 10:32:12 PM EDT
[#22]
I have a 9-13 Harris and it's too tall.  I need to sell it and get a 6-9.  I don't have much of a gut though.  
Link Posted: 4/23/2015 2:50:56 PM EDT
[#23]
9-13 Harris.  For me, it still feels a little short sometimes in the collapsed position.  I'm also about the size of Steve Fisher, so take that into consideration.  I'd like to try the 6-9 once, just to see how it feels.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 1:52:54 AM EDT
[#24]
I am trying to decide on an Atlas bipod (5-9 or 9-13). At times my current 6-9 Harris is too tall and on rare occasions it is not tall enough.

I know the Atlas can do the 45 degree thing but that feels like a bad choice when you can adjust, if time allows.

Does anyone have experience with the Atlas 4" extenders? These with the 5-9 should be perfect, the only issue is cost.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 4:18:49 PM EDT
[#25]
For matches and general range use I use my 6-9.  For groundhog hunting I use my 9-13.  

In typical Arfcom fashion, get both.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 4:08:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By turbomunkey:
Do you all use regular bipods or the swivel variant? I need one for my rem 700
View Quote
Swivel and a pod-loc
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 4:20:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Both.  If I'm on the bench, I like the short one.  If I'm out in the field I've found it doesn't go high enough and the other one fits my needs better.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 4:36:10 PM EDT
[#28]
6-9 with 5.56

9-13 with .308/6.5 variants

With the 6-9 on my 6.5's I'm always at max height to keep off the 20rd mag.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 8:08:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#29]
Just bought a second 9-13 for another rifle. I always had to extend the 6-9 on flat ground. 
At my long distance  range 9 was too low as the targets go higher up hill as they get farther. Often times there is mud and the legs will sink in a bit and almost need 13".
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 11:31:03 PM EDT
[#30]
6-9 notch leg swivel.  Pod lock helps tons.

It works 90% of the time. I like that the legs shoot out so its quick and easy to deploy/adjust.  Sometimes I need a little more height but its easier to add height than remove it.  You get creative and I have noticed other guys rocking the 6-9 also get creative resting on 2x4's or ammo boxes etc.

My father had a 9-13 smooth leg Harris and what a PITA  the legs were constantly trying to suck back up and it was just too tall.  It was nice on occasion but was unusable for either of us most of the time.

YMMV  If it were me I would buy a 6-9 you can shim it or re sell it easier than a 9-13 .
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 4:52:44 PM EDT
[#31]
6-9". Anything higher than grass and stuff will require an elevated position anyways.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top