Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/22/2017 10:29:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mad_Max1611]
I currently have a hogue overmold stock on my 243 700 for longish range, about 500 yards max. Would it be a good idea to upgrade to a magpul or is it even an upgrade at all?
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 11:36:17 AM EDT
[#1]
It's a massive upgrade and totally worth it.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:02:44 PM EDT
[#2]
If you can get over how ugly they are and the poor grip angle/spacing from the trigger then they're an upgrade.  I'd try before you buy.  Find somebody local with one and shoulder it first.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 12:26:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought a Magpul hunter in FDE, put a Rem 700 .308 in it.  I don't like it at all.  I'm switching back to the Hogue.  If you're interested pm me.
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 9:06:12 PM EDT
[#4]
The Magpul Hunter is much stiffer than the Hogue. Change your grip on the Hogue and the stock flexes.

My customers report smaller groups after changing to the Magpul. The Magpul is not the world's best stock but what you get for the price point plus the potential upgrades like detachable box mag make it something to strongly consider.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 1:00:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jonblack:
The Magpul Hunter is much stiffer than the Hogue. Change your grip on the Hogue and the stock flexes.
View Quote

Any idea if this is the case with the fully bedded Hogue?  I know the pillar one is like wet noodle, but I would imagine the fully bedded model would be nearly as rigid as the Magpul or B&C stocks.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 1:31:45 AM EDT
[#6]
The full length bedding block Hogue would be better but step up to a B&C M40a1 style.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 5:05:38 PM EDT
[#7]
The Hogue that comes with the 700 SPS tac or others is a complete piece of SH*T.  Not only does it just function crapy it feels UGLY.  Not that I speak from experience, but I can only imagine it feels like your holding a big silicone Dildo LOL.  It sticks, lint sticks to, dirt sticks to it, its BLAH.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 11:06:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Will] [#8]
I had a Hogue on a Remington 700 AAC SD. I upgraded to the Magpul. Worth every penny. Is it a McMillan or a Whiskey? No. But it's a much better stock for only a little money- you can get $60 or more for your Hogue at most gunshows. With the Magpul you get- AICS magazine compatibility, an adjustable comb and adjustable LOP. A great "mid range" upgrade option. My gun shoots about a quarter minute better in the Magpul stock.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 2:42:29 PM EDT
[#9]
So I ended up getting an od green one and... I love it! Definitely (imo) increases accuracy. Looks tacticool to boot! Only gripe is when is its cold out the stock is cold, the hogue was warmish to the touch. I do have a question though, you guys think voltor mod pods would fit on the tapered forend?
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 3:30:35 PM EDT
[#10]

Good choice. I had a 700 sps tactical and hated the hogue. Was going to get a nice chassis for it but started building a 6.5cr ar and so money was going into that. So got the magpul and it was so much better than the hogue. My accuracy greatly increased.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top