Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/22/2016 10:37:04 AM EDT
In need of recommendations for a precision rifle tripod.  I will be using the Kley-Zion PRP.  

Would like it to be:

Light

quick to setup/stow

able to go prone all the way to standing

Suggestions?  Price is no object.

-Cav
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:19:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I put my first tripod together after the first day of a 2day match from parts I found in the hardware store, and the most sturdy looking tripod at walmart.  Check out this video on making your own mount for I think under $10. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIcf-Sfw4GU

The walmart tripod was the targus TG-P60T, pretty sturdy and mostly metal for $50ish.  It was OK, but I got tired of it pinching my fingers when unfolding the legs.  After that I went to a camera shop and played with every tripod they had in the store.  I think they asked me if i needed help 5 times.  I was trying to find the lightest tripod that was the quickest to set up and solid at the same time.

I ended up buying a manfroto MT290XTC3US and an extra camera mount.  I then built another one of those foam and metal bracket saddles from the youtube video.  It works very well and is solid.  I ended cutting 6" of the vertical tube with my bandsaw so I can use the tripod in a high prone position that feels more solid than resting my rifle across a pack in the prone position.

Also check out the 6.5guys video on tripods if you want another opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm0VbtNZ2Vg
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 5:21:32 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mort:

I put my first tripod together after the first day of a 2day match from parts I found in the hardware store, and the most sturdy looking tripod at walmart.  Check out this video on making your own mount for I think under $10. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIcf-Sfw4GU

The walmart tripod was the targus TG-P60T, pretty sturdy and mostly metal for $50ish.  It was OK, but I got tired of it pinching my fingers when unfolding the legs.  After that I went to a camera shop and played with every tripod they had in the store.  I think they asked me if i needed help 5 times.  I was trying to find the lightest tripod that was the quickest to set up and solid at the same time.

I ended up buying a manfroto MT290XTC3US and an extra camera mount.  I then built another one of those foam and metal bracket saddles from the youtube video.  It works very well and is solid.  I ended cutting 6" of the vertical tube with my bandsaw so I can use the tripod in a high prone position that feels more solid than resting my rifle across a pack in the prone position.

View Quote

Also check out the 6.5guys video on tripods if you want another opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm0VbtNZ2Vg

Thanks!  I'll check it out for making one for personal use; this will be an agency purchase, so money is not really an object....

Link Posted: 10/5/2016 10:50:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Price no object? Really Right Stuff, with a fluid video head.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 10:50:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By DevL:
Price no object? Really Right Stuff, with a fluid video head.
View Quote

I'm not sure I would use a fluid video head for this application. While great for panning and smooth movements, I think a ball head + leveling base will be better. But I guess that's all personal preference.

But I agree. Go with RRS, carbon fiber if you really want to save on weight. Their flagship ballhead has a 50lb load capacity.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 5:08:32 PM EDT
[#5]
yes, but you would actually just need the ball head OR the leveling base, not both
Link Posted: 10/7/2016 11:53:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By taliv:
yes, but you would actually just need the ball head OR the leveling base, not both
View Quote

No, you can run a leveling base with a ballhead. Example: https://billcampbellphotography.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/ta3lb-tripod1.png

You would use the leveling base to get the ballhead level assuming the tripod isn't level. Then from there, you can pan with via the ballhead base with the ball locked at an up or down angle.
Link Posted: 10/8/2016 11:25:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I didn't say you CAN'T run both.  you only NEED one or the other, not both.

i don't know anyone who runs both.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 9:52:07 PM EDT
[#8]

View Quote
Videographers
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 9:53:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ocabj:

I'm not sure I would use a fluid video head for this application. While great for panning and smooth movements, I think a ball head + leveling base will be better. But I guess that's all personal preference.

But I agree. Go with RRS, carbon fiber if you really want to save on weight. Their flagship ballhead has a 50lb load capacity.
View Quote
Better how? It's not more stable. It's not better under recoil.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 10:01:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Manfrotto is what I have. Found it on craigslist for a steal.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 1:17:33 AM EDT
[#11]

View Quote
Everyone I know runs both...

If you have the $, RRS Carbon Fiber with a ball head/leveling base is the ultimate set up.
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 8:31:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mr_Toyz] [#12]
Agree that RRS TVC34 (tripod), TA3 (leveling base) with BH55 (ball head) is the ultimate set up.
Michael runs the SOAR program for RRS and specifically said that this setup is being run by some military types.
Why? Because BH55 is better than TA3 for movers but the TA3 is slightly more stable as it sits lower.
Definitely also recomend getting an RRS mounting plate for your rifle. MUCH more solid than a saddle.
I have the TVC34 and BH55 and am not sorry about spending the money. Worth it. Will buy a TA3 when I find a deal.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top