Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2016 2:01:20 PM EDT
Using some stuff I had laying around the house I have managed to throw together, what should suffice (if only temporary) as a cheek riser. The last think I need is a cover that goes over the riser and the stock.  I will need something with elasticity, neoprene would be ideal I think.  I will be holding the riser in place with either straps or duct tape so I don't expect the cover to provide any support to the stock/riser, just something that covers it up, making it a bit more comfortable and look not so bargain basement DIY.  If the cover provides a little rise, say 1/4" of neoprene, that won't be an issue. If it holds shells or not I really don't care.  Any suggestions? Thanks
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 8:42:33 AM EDT
[#1]
I cut up an old mouse pad and hot glued it on my rifle. It works great
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 2:16:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ballisticxlr] [#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By kxlexus:

I cut up an old mouse pad and hot glued it on my rifle. It works great
View Quote
This. Upside, you can get cool looking mouse pad if you want a little graphical bling. The adhesive you use is the hard part to pick. I've tried automotive carpet spray adhesive with some success. Rubber cement worked ok but constant reapplication was a feature. I avoid permanent glues like epoxy for this application. You may find permanent adhesives are what you want. Maybe not. Hot glue worked ok but was always peeling, just a little less than with rubber cement.

Link Posted: 6/9/2016 2:52:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Just get a Triad Tactical stock pack.  I made a riser out of foam from a sleeping mat and used Velcro to attach it to the bottom of my old Eagle stock pack.  Go to Wal-Mart and get the industrial grade Velcro with a sticky side.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 3:34:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By cpwomack:
Just get a Triad Tactical stock pack.  I made a riser out of foam from a sleeping mat and used Velcro to attach it to the bottom of my old Eagle stock pack.  Go to Wal-Mart and get the industrial grade Velcro with a sticky side.
View Quote

I had a look at  Triad Tactical stock pack, This is more of what I am going for, the stock pack over my DIY riser.  I would like to find someting like the  Triad Tactical stock pack, but for a cheaper price.  I found a few options on ebay/amazon for cheap.  If anyone has had success with a specific cheap model please pass along.  

I think this Voodoo Tactical on Amazon for $13 could be it. LINK It has removable riser padding which appears to be in a nylon case I would wrap around my DIY riser.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 5:31:50 PM EDT
[#5]
That voodoo looks good for the cost. Wish I would have seen this before buying my Triad. Would have saved some bucks.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 7:29:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eustice] [#6]
I used sleeping pad foam and ACU kneepad foam then wrapped it all in hockey tape. Works really well. The duct tape was too slick when you're sweaty. But I ended up using some bargain hockey tape and in the sun it started to get sticky on the side of my face.

I had an old shotgun shell carrier that went around the buttstock that I no longer used. I took the shell loops off and put it on over the sticky hockey tape. Worked beautifully. I ended up buying another with the rifle shell loops on it. It set me back about $4.29 at Academy. They are available anywhere. Academy, Dick's, Walmart, etc...

I think I have around $8-9 into it. And I've done it twice.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 4:45:00 PM EDT
[#7]
The Voodoo one is fine, but I wore one out in less than a year (stiching started to fall apart) and be prepared to spend some time modifying the straps.  They are long, really long.
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 11:13:20 PM EDT
[#8]
You could use a Choate Cheek Piece, they run about $12.

If it doesn't fit the top contour of your stock you can always use some wet sandpaper on the top of your stock to adjust the cheek piece inside contour.
Fastening it to your stock is up to you.
Most guys I knew used a little "stock pack" of some sort to hold it in place, as well as scope tools and ear plugs, stuff like that.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 1:37:17 PM EDT
[#9]
any kind of foam or neoprene you can get your hands on and some duct tape.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 10:40:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kvanderploeg] [#10]
Camping mat works well for me.  I got a whole mat for $10, but I can still use the mat for a cheap shooting mat.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00168ZJWY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Some vetwrap, which is good to keep in your medical kit anyway.  Sticks to itself, but doesn't leave sticky residue on the stock.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MYDLXR0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And some moleskin to top off the wrap.  Gives a better "face feel" than the vet wrap alone.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001OPJ8KS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 1:35:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I used an old beer coozie (foam thing that goes around a beer can), folded it in half and placed it under my cheek pad... it works for me and the price was right
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 2:56:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought this one on eBay for my .22 at its not bad. The straps Velcro to the inside so you can shorten them easily.

Stock pack
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 9:23:40 AM EDT
[#13]
I bought one of those Allen shotgun shell holders at Walmart for $5 and cut the holders off. Then I stretched it over a piece of thick leather drop cloth I had. Worked pretty good.
Link Posted: 1/22/2017 8:59:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Tuff products.

$14 shipped.

Non-Skid Stock Cover
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 9:33:37 AM EDT
[#15]
$5 neoprene shotgun shell holder from Walmart that goes on the stock. Just cut the actual shell loops off.
Link Posted: 6/14/2019 8:35:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By DenverDave:
Using some stuff I had laying around the house I have managed to throw together, what should suffice (if only temporary) as a cheek riser. The last think I need is a cover that goes over the riser and the stock.  I will need something with elasticity, neoprene would be ideal I think.  I will be holding the riser in place with either straps or duct tape so I don't expect the cover to provide any support to the stock/riser, just something that covers it up, making it a bit more comfortable and look not so bargain basement DIY.  If the cover provides a little rise, say 1/4" of neoprene, that won't be an issue. If it holds shells or not I really don't care.  Any suggestions? Thanks
View Quote
I have a couple bucks in this.  I have been putting these on my rifles for many years now.  Simple, cheap and easy to form to your face, height, etc.  I made a video of it on my YouTube channel if you want to take a look.

https://youtu.be/DA5pqe2LljE
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 9:02:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#17]
I use nothing but the bare plastic/kydex on my rifles.

The one I had to fabricate for my crossbow I wrapped with Mcnett Camo Form wrap to cover zip ties. I have used it on grips, scopes, etc. and it stays put and doesn't get sticky or gooey in extreme heat.
Very stretchy and forms to any shape.
Link Posted: 6/21/2020 11:12:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By FFMedic:
Tuff products.

$14 shipped.

Non-Skid Stock Cover
View Quote

Good find. Presently $10 + $7 shipping to my locale. Can't beat that as a base cheek rest to build a little foam underneath if necessary. I'm going top put it on an AR15 A2 fixed stock.
Link Posted: 6/22/2020 8:30:16 PM EDT
[#19]
OP, MPA makes a stick on pad for their cheek riser, its like 10 bucks, is very comfortable and would stick right to your riser...

https://masterpiecearms.com/shop/cheek-riser-pad/
Link Posted: 12/4/2020 1:02:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Azygos] [#20]
Disregard; someone already covered what I did.
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 10:31:10 AM EDT
[#21]
Medical wrap. Comes in black. I broke down and bought a delta type riser.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top