Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/16/2017 10:57:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WMTX91]
Looking for a scope to go on a LMT MWS 18". Upgrading from my SWFA 3-9 SS HD, which is a decent scope for the money but I want something with higher magnification. I don't really want to "step back" to a classic model SWFA 3-15x just for the extra magnification, at the same time I don't want to drop too much money into a scope because at the end of the day I'm a casual shooter, so I have a hard time justifying a $2000+ scope for the kind of shooting I do.

Budget is $1500 but I don't feel like i HAVE to spend that much either.
Prefer magnification to be somewhere between 2-18x.
Needs to be mil reticle with mil turrets and FFP. (It's just what I'm used to and I'd like to stick with it.)
Going to be shooting paper targets and steel out to 500 yards. Might go on a few hog hunts with it as well.
Around 20oz or less would be nice, the MWS is a porker on it's own right. Strike this, for some reason I was thinking about 1-4/1-6 optics when I wrote this.

Vortex isn't on my list, I know a lot of people like them and their CS, but I'd rather not have to use a warranty at all.
I see a lot of back and forth on Burris as well which kind of scares me away from them.

I was eye-balling the Leupold VX3i LRP FFP but I'm concerned about it's value for the price despite fitting my requirements.. I had a mark 4 4.5-14 in the past and I liked it well enough but I couldn't stand the mil reticle and moa turrets.

I've been looking over scopes the past 3 days so I have a bit of tunnel vision, I'm hoping to get a few opinions to help steer me right, thanks.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 11:51:35 PM EDT
[#1]
20oz? LOL. The Gen 2 PST isn’t bad though.

I would try to find a Viper PST Gen II 3-15x44 FFP. Next step up would be something like the Vudu 3.5-18x50 but will be a little heavier.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 8:33:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 2:57:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Yup.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:
Originally Posted By alpha0815:

I would try to find a Viper PST Gen II 3-15x44 FFP.  
Yup.
That's a perfect magnification range for an AR10, imo.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 3:25:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FlyNavy75] [#4]
My MWS has a Nightforce NXS 5-22x56 on it. No issues. I think if I ever swap it out I'll just go TA-11.

Edit, sorry missed the mil/mil part
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:24:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Extorris] [#5]
With a $1500 budget and if Vortex isn't on your list maybe look at the Elite Tactical scopes from Bushnell and the Ares BTR 2.5-15x50 or the Cronus 4.5-29x56 from Athlon. You can get mil/mil FFP scopes from both companies for under $1500.

ETA: Too bad Delta Optical in Poland doesn't have any US dealers yet. Their Stryker 4.5-30x56 HD FFP illuminated mil/mil scope is getting great reviews in Europe.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top