Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/3/2017 7:43:29 PM EDT
I have a Savage 10P with a SWFA 10 X 42 scope.     Recently observed point of impact dropping at 100 yard range, about 4 inches over 50 rounds.   Good groupings other than  consistent drop of each group.  

I took apart rings and base, found nothing loose.     Replaced base and rings with steel Leupold components.      All screws torqued with a F.A.T wrench and loctite.

First trip back to range today, the POI drop continued, 4" in 25 rounds.     Torque check indicates all still tight.

My thoughts are the scope is the next likely source of problem.

Anyone else experience this or have a suggestion?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 8:07:57 PM EDT
[#1]
In for the advice.

I do do have a couple questions though:

Without changing the scope settings, is the first round POI at the correct elevation between two sessions that allow for a complete cooling of the barrel?

Also, starting with a cold barrel, do you see a consistency in the rate of drop change between each session?  

Put another way, is it the same gradual shift or is there a sudden change after a certain number of rounds?
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 8:28:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Can't answer your first question.    Between sessions, scope, rings and base were remounted, so re-zeroing was necessary

Barrel heat was not an issue.    Today, it took me 90 minutes to fire thirty rounds.  5 round groups with checking spotting scope after every round.

Drop between rounds seem to be consistent.    Each round lower than previous.
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 8:57:08 PM EDT
[#3]
did you clean between sessions?
ammo ?

can you go back out again without messing with anything and see if it keeps the changed poi or goes back to what it was?
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 9:17:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Andrewh:
did you clean between sessions?
ammo ?

can you go back out again without messing with anything and see if it keeps the changed poi or goes back to what it was?
View Quote
Yes, barrel was cleaned after first session where dropping was seen.

Ammo was hand reload (Federal cases, Sierra 168 gr Match King, 44.2 gr Varget, Federal GMM primers.) in both sessions.

Second session was with scope remounted with new rings and base.     POI drop continued as observed in previous session.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 2:32:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Please go back and just clean it and see if it drops again. If it stars low I would guess scope. But if it is normal then I might consider fouling or barrel harmonics due to temps. But need one more point of data.
Link Posted: 10/5/2017 3:34:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Andrewh:
Please go back and just clean it and see if it drops again. If it stars low I would guess scope. But if it is normal then I might consider fouling or barrel harmonics due to temps. But need one more point of data.
View Quote
The barrel was cleaned just prior to the last 25 rounds in which the POI dropped 4" in 20 shots.

I've talked with SWFA (vendor of the scope) and I have sent the scope back to them for remediation.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 3:49:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Got a new scope back from SWFA at no cost.    SWFA's customer service is as good as their reputation.      Thanks to SWFA.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 9:30:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Curious if the new scope fixed the problem.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 10:44:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Do you have or have access to a chronograph?  I'm wondering if your MV is changing as you get copper deposition in the bore.  The implication is that the bore is not at copper equilibrium (yet)...  although the amount of change is greater that I would expect for this type of phenomenon (admittedly, I don't have a lot of experience with this)...
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 10:51:57 AM EDT
[#10]
Sounds like a bad optic.  I have a Vortex crossfire once that would rotate a click with every shot.
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 10:50:43 AM EDT
[#11]
I had a Bushnell Elite moving imperceptibly in the rings of a shimmed mount that caused me to pull my hair out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top