Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/27/2017 9:19:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Amay1986]
Looking for a new scope. Was really thinking about a S&B pmii 5-25 or something similar. I'm a big fan of leupold too. What would you guys recommend?
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 11:02:57 AM EDT
[#1]
What caliber? What type of shooting? Price range?....But obviously the sky is the limit if you are truly looking at the 5-25x56 PM II. That is one of my favorite scopes, but too rich for my blood. S&B is pricing themselves out of the market IMO. Here are some other good ones in slightly different price brackets.

My top three are, in this order.
Nightforce ATACR 5-25x56 FI
Vortex Razor Gen II 4.5-27x56
Athlon Cronus 4.5-29x56
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 1:38:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Right now whatever I get will be going on my colt .308 bolt gun. But will hopefully going on a .260 or other 6.5 caliber gun. I'm hoping to get into precision rifle matches and if not then shooting at steel targets at distance, put to 1,600 yards or more depending on the time of year. The S&B was a thought, I really want something I'll be satisfied in and I'm a you get what you pay for type of person.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By alpha0815:
What caliber? What type of shooting? Price range?....But obviously the sky is the limit if you are truly looking at the 5-25x56 PM II. That is one of my favorite scopes, but too rich for my blood. S&B is pricing themselves out of the market IMO. Here are some other good ones in slightly different price brackets.

My top three are, in this order.
Nightforce ATACR 5-25x56 FI
Vortex Razor Gen II 4.5-27x56
Athlon Cronus 4.5-29x56
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 8:43:59 PM EDT
[#3]
The S&B is a nice scope, I like the ATACR 5-25 better, but just preference on knobs and no seperate illumination knob.  Mine has the Mil-C reticle.  

That being said, the S&B and the Nightforce 5-25 tunnel from 7-5X.  The 7-35 ATACR is a better scope with the same bottom end and 10 more on the top.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 8:54:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Kahles K624i
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 7:04:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By samuse:
The S&B is a nice scope, I like the ATACR 5-25 better, but just preference on knobs and no seperate illumination knob.  Mine has the Mil-C reticle.  

That being said, the S&B and the Nightforce 5-25 tunnel from 7-5X.  The 7-35 ATACR is a better scope with the same bottom end and 10 more on the top.
View Quote
I think I really need to go somewhere that I can look through some scopes. No where local has these high end scopes in stock. I have been around a few nightforce scopes and I do like them a lot.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 7:31:58 AM EDT
[#6]
The best place to see a lot of scopes is a match.  Not sure where in IL you are, but the Border Wars series would've had a lotto nice gear, and if you tell people you're looking and ask most will let you look at their gear.  Unfortunately that series is over for the year.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 8:59:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By TeeRex:
The best place to see a lot of scopes is a match.  Not sure where in IL you are, but the Border Wars series would've had a lotto nice gear, and if you tell people you're looking and ask most will let you look at their gear.  Unfortunately that series is over for the year.
View Quote
I'm in the very southern portion of the state. The only place I know of is redbrush rifle and pistol range. But I haven't done a lot of searching for matches.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 9:18:40 AM EDT
[#8]
All of the high end models are good.  You start paying more than $2k for an optic and your not going to see a huge difference in performance.  I would buy the model with the features and reticle you like. Personally I went with the Razor.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 10:27:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Amay1986:

I'm in the very southern portion of the state. The only place I know of is redbrush rifle and pistol range. But I haven't done a lot of searching for matches.
View Quote
I'm not too familiar with that range but I do know they have matches there.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 11:36:46 AM EDT
[#10]
What do you have mounted on the front ring? RF, camera, IR...? Sorry to get off topic.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 11:52:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By ICU:

What do you have mounted on the front ring? RF, camera, IR...? Sorry to get off topic.
View Quote
Radius laser range finder.  It's aligned with the scope so anything I point the scope at I get the distance of.  If I had more money it would be a Wilcox Raptar as it has more range and is has several .mil users.  The radius is nominally good through 1000 yards.  Reflectivity of the target comes into play though past ~800 yards.  I keep mine set to range 1/sec for the time it's turned on.  It also has a push button option, but with 8hr battery life I don't bother with the cord and pressure switch.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top