Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2017 8:50:13 PM EDT
So I have a savage 6.5 coming in soon. I have been in the hunt for a scope. My budget isn't huge (I know the rule of thumb but the reality is right now I have a budget). I found a viper with a target dot that's its my budget. It's doesn't have the Tactical turrets(excuse my ignorance on terminology), it's in moa and the reticle is the target dot reticle.

Now what I will use the rifle for, primarily this is a hunting rifle and a target rifle. I likely won't shoot any matches but I definitely will be shooting long range shots with my buddy. I know the viper is a good scope an this particular one is in my price range. I'm just wondering if for hunting purposes where my ranges will be anywhere from 100 to 300 yards, and shooting with my buddy the shots will be from 200-1000 yards, am i foolish for not getting a ballistic reticle?

I know there probly isn't a do all, and I know that I should try an spend more money. But this scope is within my budget an is great quality, so I will sacrifice some of the bells and whistles if it means staying in my budget and getting quality glass.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:20:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m6z] [#1]
Find a used SWFA 10x for $200ish.  Best scope you're going to find for the money.  You can find them in the EE or Sniper's hide quite regularly.
Link Posted: 10/4/2017 11:51:34 AM EDT
[#2]
"...I'm just wondering if for hunting purposes where my ranges will be anywhere from 100 to 300 yards, and shooting with my buddy the shots will be from 200-1000 yards, am i foolish for not getting a ballistic reticle? ..."

For 100 - 300 yards, you need to estimate or measure your muzzle velocity and then calculate your ballistic drop up to 300 yards.   Goggle JBM ballistics.
In my opinion, you might be able to find a zero (maybe 200 yards) that would work for this range.

For 200 -1000 yards, got back to the JBM output and stretch it out to 1,000 yards.      I'm betting you'll have between 30 and 35 feet of drop to compensate for at 1,000 yards.       Do you think you can estimate 35 feet of drop?    You need good turrets and a lot of travel
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top