Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/13/2017 12:51:50 AM EDT
I have a Tikka CTR 6.5 Creedmoor incoming and my plan is to mostly use it for target shooting with the goal to work up to 1000 yd proficiency. I'd also like to use the rifle for hunting though.

I'm not all that knowledgeable on higher end scopes. Most of my experience is with pistols and red dot sights or with the Nikon Prostaff Target EFR that I have on my 2 rimfire bolt actions.

For the primary scopes I see mentioned in the ~$1k range, seems most are 50-56 objectives. The two I've read reviews about the most are the Viper PST II 5-25 FFP and the Burris XTR II 5-25x50.  And honsttly I'm leaning towards the PST based on all the reviews I've read. I've been warned that these are considered very large scopes for hunting use and that I may want something smaller. I have not yet had a chance to look at any in person but hope to this weekend. Are there some good multi-purpose scopes in the $1k (or even $700) price range that can be used primarily for target practice and building skills but also occasionally for hunting?
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 2:18:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:48:45 AM EDT
[#2]
Take a look at the Bushnell LRHS. I would go with the 3-12 but tend to use less magnification than most. The 4.5-18 would work well too.

I would avoid anything with a 34mm tube for hunting. Of the PST gen 2 models, I would choose the 3-15. But again, I tend to use less mag than most.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 1:04:14 PM EDT
[#3]
PST gen2 5-25x would be my choice. It's a very well built optic, the dials feel great, and the glass is top notch.

For 1k yards it'll be plenty of magnification, and down at 5x you'll have no problem if you find a shot under 100yds.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 2:44:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Manged to find the PST Gen II 5-25 in stock and have it all set now. Now I need to figure out rings and hopefully can get it all assembled next weekend.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top