BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/24/2020 9:03:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jaqufrost:
Pretty screwed up response for a manufacturers defect.
View Quote

Yep. No more Bobro anything for me.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 12:08:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By bluemax_1:
Ugh. Pity I didn't see this thread sooner.

Bobro dual lever mount. I mounted the Razor HD AMG 6-24x50 with a NIST calibrated driver to just 18 in-lbs per scope manual (was on a pre-order, so this was when the Razor HD AMG first debuted). Just went to remove the scope and found one of the studs for the forward scope cap is broken.

Went to Bobro's website and they don't even have a Warranty section, so I used their contact form to inquire about sending it in for a warranty repair. This was the response I received:

Please send it back in to us with a prepaid return shipping label (UPS preferred) and we will take a look at it.

Bobro Engineering
Attn. Oliver
109 S La Patera Ln
Goleta, CA 93117

We will most likely be able to pull the stud and repair the mount, but if there isn't enough for us to grab we will have to sell you a new mount at a discounted price because the new ring styles don't align with the old dual lever mounting holes.

Nice. So unlike numerous other manufacturers, I have to pay the shipping both ways, and if they can't fix it, I have to buy a replacement "at a discounted price"? Great way to stand behind your stuff.
View Quote

View Quote

@bluemax_1
@jaqufrost

Recently went to go change scope out with different scope on a Bobro single lever extended mount(30mm). And when I went to loosen the screw cap off the stud sheared off leaving about 1/4" remained sticking up out of the lower part after top half if ring was removed.

Did you guys get yours fixed if so how? Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 2:19:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By shooter_from_show-me:

@bluemax_1
@jaqufrost

Recently went to go change scope out with different scope on a Bobro single lever extended mount(30mm). And when I went to loosen the screw cap off the stud sheared off leaving about 1/4" remained sticking up out of the lower part after top half if ring was removed.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By shooter_from_show-me:
Originally Posted By bluemax_1:
Ugh. Pity I didn't see this thread sooner.

Bobro dual lever mount. I mounted the Razor HD AMG 6-24x50 with a NIST calibrated driver to just 18 in-lbs per scope manual (was on a pre-order, so this was when the Razor HD AMG first debuted). Just went to remove the scope and found one of the studs for the forward scope cap is broken.

Went to Bobro's website and they don't even have a Warranty section, so I used their contact form to inquire about sending it in for a warranty repair. This was the response I received:

Please send it back in to us with a prepaid return shipping label (UPS preferred) and we will take a look at it.

Bobro Engineering
Attn. Oliver
109 S La Patera Ln
Goleta, CA 93117

We will most likely be able to pull the stud and repair the mount, but if there isn't enough for us to grab we will have to sell you a new mount at a discounted price because the new ring styles don't align with the old dual lever mounting holes.

Nice. So unlike numerous other manufacturers, I have to pay the shipping both ways, and if they can't fix it, I have to buy a replacement "at a discounted price"? Great way to stand behind your stuff.

@bluemax_1
@jaqufrost

Nope. Not paying them to fix their poor QC crap.

I only use a NIST calibrated torque driver. If their studs can snap from being torqued to spec and they won't stand behind their product, I want absolutely nothing to do with them.
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 6:17:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Bobro repaired my two that had problems. I sold the repaired units.
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 6:48:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Steviesegal] [#5]
Yeah, I bought into the hype hook, line, and sinker.

I was having issues with a certain brand of QD mounts shifting on everything I tried them on, unless I had them adjusted so tight they no longer functioned as QD mounts

And then I read about Bobro and how they have the recoil lug that fills the slot and prevents fore and aft movement, so I bought a mini-ACOG mount and a 30mm Aimpoint mount from them.

All was well, they were smooth on and off and zero retention was dead on as far as I could tell.

Then not long after, maybe 750-1000 rounds, my groups started drifting bad on both rifles. I went through checking everything and I noticed the rear of the mounts was now flush with the upper rail slot that was behind them, when previously there was a slight ledge from the mounts biasing themselves forward in the rail slot.

Popped them off and noticed the recoil lugs on them looked "squished" and threw them back on the rifle by applying forward pressure as I locked them down, I dropped the bolt twice and they clearly moved rearward.

The flaws I've found in their design is their spring loaded clamp is not strong enough to hold the mount in place itself, and their "recoil lugs" seem to have a very short service life.

Sent them in and they were replaced, then I sold the replacements and bought ADM mounts.

They were great, nice clamping power and no movement. I would still use them if I had to, but I eventually grabbed a bunch of Black Friday stuff with G logos on them and they are even better, though not QD.

But G mounts and Warne MSR stuff are all I used now, I don't mind keeping a small 1/2" driver in my range bag or hunting pack.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:51:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#6]
Originally Posted By Steviesegal:
Yeah, I bought into the hype hook, line, and sinker.

I was having issues with a certain brand of QD mounts shifting on everything I tried them on, unless I had them adjusted so tight they no longer functioned as QD mounts

And then I read about Bobro and how they have the recoil lug that fills the slot and prevents fore and aft movement, so I bought a mini-ACOG mount and a 30mm Aimpoint mount from them.

All was well, they were smooth on and off and zero retention was dead on as far as I could tell.

Then not long after, maybe 750-1000 rounds, my groups started drifting bad on both rifles. I went through checking everything and I noticed the rear of the mounts was now flush with the upper rail slot that was behind them, when previously there was a slight ledge from the mounts biasing themselves forward in the rail slot.

Popped them off and noticed the recoil lugs on them looked "squished" and threw them back on the rifle by applying forward pressure as I locked them down, I dropped the bolt twice and they clearly moved rearward.

The flaws I've found in their design is their spring loaded clamp is not strong enough to hold the mount in place itself, and their "recoil lugs" seem to have a very short service life.

Sent them in and they were replaced, then I sold the replacements and bought ADM mounts.

They were great, nice clamping power and no movement. I would still use them if I had to, but I eventually grabbed a bunch of Black Friday stuff with G logos on them and they are even better, though not QD.

But G mounts and Warne MSR stuff are all I used now, I don't mind keeping a small 1/2" driver in my range bag or hunting pack.
View Quote

So, a tight lever on the nameless brand (presumably Larue) is too tight, but having to carry around a 1/2" driver is not?  I'm confused.  

Yes, the Larue levers need to be initially adjusted tight, but I've never had to use a tool to open them.  Return to zero error is below my ability to detect on a sub MOA precision build.   Not particularly a Larue fanboy, as I have a lot of Geissele and ADM stuff, too.  But, I have no issue with Larue mounts.  Superb return to zero and no problem with adjustment tension.

Sorry to hear that Bobro has not fixed their mountbdesign.
Link Posted: 5/5/2021 12:15:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By MS556:

So, a tight lever on the nameless brand (presumably Larue) is too tight, but having to carry around a 1/2" driver is not?  I'm confused.  

Yes, the Larue levers need to be initially adjusted tight, but I've never had to use a tool to open them.  Return to zero error is below my ability to detect on a sub MOA precision build.   Not particularly a Larue fanboy, as I have a lot of Geissele and ADM stuff, too.  But, I have no issue with Larue mounts.  Superb return to zero and no problem with adjustment tension.

Sorry to hear that Bobro has not fixed their mountbdesign.
View Quote

Yes, carrying a short 1/2" wrench to undo a mount is much simpler than having to carry whatever size the Texas-spec wrench is to loosen the nut then unlock and pull up on a lever, and yes that is how I had to use them in order to have them not shift.

Link Posted: 5/5/2021 1:41:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Agree, neither Larue nor ADM mounts can be moved within the slots if you do the lever tension adjustment properly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By brodband8:
All of my larue mounts do this also.
I would tighten them then.  IMO it normally won't make much difference with rifles that won't shoot under an inch anyways.  

My new G mount passes this test as long as the cross bolts are over 7.5 in lb.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_16_5/3707_First_look_at_a_Geissele_Super_Precision_mount_.html

Agree, neither Larue nor ADM mounts can be moved within the slots if you do the lever tension adjustment properly.

Same with mine, nice and tight with no movement.  I always roll my eyes when people bitch about mounts leaving marks on rails and recievers.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 4:45:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Well I contacted  Bobro, $50 and that includes return shipping to all together replace the rings with their newest design and inspection of the mount.

I'm fine with that. Oliver there seemed more than willing to help. Be there Wednesday
Link Posted: 6/5/2022 10:45:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Out of the 4 Bobro mounts I only had 1 problem with it moving forward and aft. After using a caliper on the rail that was out of spec. The upper was sent back to the MFG and replaced. All of my single level mounts are rock solid mo matter how hard I pull or push on it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2023 11:06:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Add my tally to the count of Bobro scope mounts with a broken stud. Removed the scope today and one nut kept spinning on its stud. Here's why:
Attachment Attached File

I haven't contacted Bobro, I believe this mount is over 10 years old; undecided if I should.
Link Posted: 9/8/2023 2:04:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2JokersWild] [#12]
Uhh....Is the recoil lug you measured a recessed cut out?
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 7:53:53 AM EDT
[#13]
Yup have a drawer full of bobro mounts. Have sent back 2 for broken threaded shafts and now have a 3rd. Just changed out to all Midwest Industries and Warne Mounts. Not sure why Bobro still uses those terrible threaded shafts vs a bolt going threw the ring. Hell atleast upgrade to grade8.
Link Posted: 10/2/2023 4:32:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tug153] [#14]
I had 3 bobro mounts at one time. They all broke. Sent them back, got them fixed, and sold them all.

Now have Geissele and Badger Ordnance mounts. No issues with those.
Link Posted: 10/3/2023 11:09:18 AM EDT
[#15]
One of the lugs was broken and barely holding on. It snapped as soon as I put a couple inch pounds of torque on it to remove the fastener.
http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=86049
View Quote

On the bright side, I'm digging those Bondhus wrenches. Never seen a colored set like that.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 12:56:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Wow. I've acquired 7 over the years, they're my favorite, and I've never had the first problem with any of them.

That is odd.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 7:52:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Are you selling the 34mm dual clamp model? I'm needing one now.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 10:28:03 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By anymanusa:
Are you selling the 34mm dual clamp model? I'm needing one now.
View Quote
I sold it years ago right after they provided a replacement.
Link Posted: 2/22/2024 10:36:54 AM EDT
[#19]
I didn't realize this was such an old thread.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top