Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2017 6:31:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Grendelshooter]
I just ran a few strings of fire through my 18 inch hybrid CL barrel after breaking it in last weekend (not that the break in took long at all).
L.C. and Wolf Gold brass, CCI#41, H4895/8208XBR, 77gr Nosler CC, btol 1.861 via Hornady comparator tool.

Aero precision upper trued via Pac. Tool and gauge tool. Larue 12inch handguard and Syrac adjustable gas block. Barrel bedded into receiver with blue locktite. Nightforce 2.5-10x24 for glass.
Larue MBT trigger.
Shot from prone with bipod and rear bag.

First things first, very overgassed. My gas block is about half way closed to get reliable function from Wolf Gold .223, M855, and Black Hills 77gr OTM 5.56. I expected this as it’s an 18 inch rifle gas so the gas port has to be large. No biggie.

Best group was barely under an inch, and they were my fouling rounds. .938 inch with WG brass. These all had inconsistent neck tension or other abnormality so I used them as sighters/fowlers.

Best group with 4895 was 1.10, average 1.51 across 7 groups.

Best 8208 group was 1.115, average of 1.46 over 7 groups.

With L.C. M855 (green tip) grouped 3.222

So overall I’m kinda disappointed. My AR Performance barrel groups much, much better with these same loads (.733 with WG brass and 23.3gr H4895). I wasn’t expecting 1/2 MOA performance to rival Douglass or krieger, but it’s not quite the MOA barrel I was expecting.

Just wanted to post my experience with it as there was little posted when I tried researching them.

Think I’ll finally pull the trigger on that CLE Douglass SPR barrel.
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 11:27:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/19/2017 11:51:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Grendelshooter] [#2]
Honestly hadn’t even thought to do so. I mean it shoots as well as any other run of the mill barrel so it’s not necessarily bad. A lot of the 30 cal guys swear by their barrels so I gave em a shot.

In the end I’ve got a barrel that’ll last a loooooong time with average accuracy, and it was reasonably priced so eh, I’ll throw a fixed scope on it and put the Nightforce to better use.

Edit: Actually I’ve got a thousand of the 75’s I haven’t cracked open yet, might give them a shot next weekend

Only a hundred rounds or do down the pipe so we shall see where it goes, but right now my $185 ARP barrel outshoots it easily.
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 11:35:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/20/2017 8:58:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I’ll continue to play with it, it’s still a decent chrome lined barrel afterall, but I did place an order at CLE for a Douglass SPR barrel with CLE chamber and chamber gauge.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 12:05:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Grendelshooter:
I’ll continue to play with it, it’s still a decent chrome lined barrel afterall, but I did place an order at CLE for a Douglass SPR barrel with CLE chamber and chamber gauge.
View Quote
The CLE barrel should make you a happy man with decent ammo.
I’ve been pretty happy with Norma match ammo with the 77 SMK HPBT bullet in my CLE / Krieger barrel.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 12:46:32 AM EDT
[#6]
I’m excited to see what my handloads are actually capable of. 23.5gr H4895 with a Nosler CC shoot just under an inch in my AR Performance barrel, anxious to see how they do in the Douglass.
Link Posted: 11/21/2017 8:55:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Please keep us posted. I just impulse bought a DD lite rail 762 and hope to start a build in the next month or so. I'm leaning strongly towards the Criterion CL barrel since they have a great reputation in the CMP community for Garands/M14s, and because I really want a chrome lined "match" barrel for my ridiculously humid climate.
Link Posted: 11/22/2017 8:15:15 AM EDT
[#8]
What scope was on your ARP barrel?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top