Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/10/2017 10:53:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wile_coyote]
I've mentioned a couple times I'm going through triggers to find the two stage that works best for me.  I use my Grendel because it is my favorite and rifle I'm most comfortable with. It's an awesome round.

Up for the test this time,  a CMC 2 2 straight trigger.  I got lucky.  Thought I wouldn't receive it till Monday. Hopefully it's here in a couple hours. Once it arrives,  out goes the MBT and in goes the CMC. I'm keeping the AR Gold in my Creedmoor because so far it is the candidate to keep and standardize on for me. Yes,  there is things I'm don't care for with it,  but everything is a compromise.  Just looking for the best closest fit for me.

Tried Armalite, RRA, KAC,  Geissele SSA-E,  Geissele SD-E and MBT-2S up to this point. Now the CMC will make the list.

I do prefer a two stage since these are for my precision rigs,  but am open to trying anything. My carbine is keeping its good old standard FCG in all likelihood.

I know triggers are a personal preference (my recent comments on not being impressed with one of them proves that),  but info from others on their observations and experience is always valuable. That and with so many out there I would like to be able to hopefully find one that is a closest fit for me before trying to go through them all.

Thinking ahead,  if this doesn't work out for me... any suggestions on the next candidate to try? Yes I know the HSNM will be mentioned and I am waiting on it.  Mainly because it's adjustable and I can see myself driving myself batshit crazy messing with it. The Wilson Combat has my interest.

Thanks in advance for any and all input.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 11:38:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#1]
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 12:22:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wile_coyote] [#2]
Thanks for the reply and interest.

Could be anything.  Take up length,  weight,  overtravel, reset length, weight etc.

I'm looking for what others have experienced as benefits in triggers they've selected. That's why I ask,  what do you have that you think I should try.  There's a reason they have chosen their trigger.  I don't mind buying,  trading or whatever to try something out.

The AR Gold's takeup is nice,  the break is awesome... Nice reset.  The thin trigger bow not so much.   It does remind me of my 1911. MBT is new and probably needs more rounds on it,  but the design and workmanship are outstanding. The bow on it was a draw for me. The function, eh... heavier feel than the others,  longer reset that felt a little weak during with a gritty feel but was nice positive click when finally reached. KAC was an older model.  Little heavy,  but not bad. Lock time was supposed to be longer,  but I couldn't tell to be honest.  Concerned with its wear reputation. Geissele's both nice,  not much to say about them. Liked them both and probably would have stayed with them had i not tried the AR Gold and started this adventure. RRA was ok,  pull and feel just a bit better than standard. Supposedly could be worked to be better,  but wear reputation a concern on it as well. Armalite pull felt a little long.  This is the only one I had limited time with as I sold the rifle it was in,  but it didn't seem bad other than the pull length and being a little better than standard.

Just received the CMC. Design looks good.  Bow looks nice and wide, similar to what I liked about the MBT. Should be interesting. Maybe it'll have a combination of the traits I like from the AR Gold and the others I've mentioned, since it the one I'm considering as my standard trigger as of right now.

Main thing is I'll be buying a couple more.  If there is one with the traits I'm looking for that ends up costing less than AR Gold,  great.  If not I'll spend what I need to spend.

ETA: if the CMC makes it as a candidate I may well keep it and purchase another to try out.  Sticking with ARFCOM practice hands are medium size and thin. A MIAD with a medium backstrap works fine,  but still have a LaRue grip that I'm trying out.  Ergo deluxe was OK too. Finger placement is on the pad of the finger tip.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 3:13:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#3]
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 3:36:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I was going to get the AR Gold for my Grendel build, but...

I opted to try out the Timney Calvin Elite AR instead. I got the trigger. I haven't shot with it yet, will be awhile, but it is a very nice trigger. It's single stage. I can't compare it to the AR Gold as I have never touched one.

I am still looking for additional input on it from others as well.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 3:51:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wile_coyote] [#5]
bfoosh06,

thanks for the info and suggestions. I've read through them prior. I know there is no perfect off the shelf item. That being the case,  I'll probably just end up with an HSNM. The SSA-E worked well and the HSNM having the same profile in addition to complete adjustability is appealing. Time would probably be better spent tailoring that than switching triggers altogether. If I rethink spending time playing with adjustments, I'll just go with ATC's offering since it's the one that I've favored.

One thing I can say I've learned or more appropriately have had reinforced so far, is the thought and workmanship that is done with each I've tried is great.

To me, we are pretty lucky to have the selection we do. Checking out each has actually been kind of interesting. I can sell off what I have with only a little loss while having someone else get something they would like without paying full price.

Thanks again.

Nada-Nada.... Sounds like you are in the same boat as I am
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 4:11:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I am a solid fan of the CMC and Timney triggers in both single and double stage set ups. It is entirely a subjective thing for me. I just like the feel of the break, the short reset, and the general over all performance of them. I think you will like CMCs. If not, email me.

Very minimal experience with Giessele triggers aside from installing them in customer guns and test firing them. They just don't get it done for me. Not commenting on them one way or another.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 4:36:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 44-40pro:
I am a solid fan of the CMC and Timney triggers in both single and double stage set ups. It is entirely a subjective thing for me. I just like the feel of the break, the short reset, and the general over all performance of them. I think you will like CMCs. If not, email me.

Very minimal experience with Giessele triggers aside from installing them in customer guns and test firing them. They just don't get it done for me. Not commenting on them one way or another.
View Quote
Hahaha... that's the way I feel when someone asks me about any of them. I've said that this or that wasn't to my preference and it was like I kicked someone's dog. I know some don't like what I have or what I've liked,  but hey.... it works for me.

I'll keep you posted 44-40 pro
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 9:21:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 44-40pro] [#8]
Originally Posted By wile_coyote:

Hahaha... that's the way I feel when someone asks me about any of them. I've said that this or that wasn't to my preference and it was like I kicked someone's dog. I know some don't like what I have or what I've liked,  but hey.... it works for me.

I'll keep you posted 44-40 pro
View Quote
Thanks, please do that. I am interested in hearing what you decide on.

ETA: What part of Fla are you in/from. I lived mostly in Florida from 1963-1994 before I made good my escape.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 9:54:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm just north of Daytona in Ormond Beach.  Been here for a while,  am originally from NM.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 11:02:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I am a yuuuger JP Ent single stage fan for my precision AR's.  As far as second stage goes, I've got experience with Hyperfire, Geissele SD-E, LaRue MBT and the KAC 2 stage.  I'm partial to Geissele (they are just flat out hard to beat), but I'd give a look to the Hyperfire as well.  They do make really nice triggers.

With black Friday coming up, I'd standby on any Geissele purchases.  They can be had for big discounts on that day.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 3:58:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wile_coyote] [#11]
Originally Posted By FALex:
I am a yuuuger JP Ent single stage fan for my precision AR's.  As far as second stage goes, I've got experience with Hyperfire, Geissele SD-E, LaRue MBT and the KAC 2 stage.  I'm partial to Geissele (they are just flat out hard to beat), but I'd give a look to the Hyperfire as well.  They do make really nice triggers.

With black Friday coming up, I'd standby on any Geissele purchases.  They can be had for big discounts on that day.
View Quote
I like the Geissele's. They are in the running as standardizing candidates.  

The CMC, I mounted it.  Just as I had read in a review (or two I can't remember) it is not snug in the receiver and there's no way to snug it up. That's unfortunate, I liked how the CMC operated.  Take up is nice,  as is the break.  Reset,  a little distance but smooth.  A lot better than before.  Oh well,  44-40pro may be happy as I'm going to let it go. Then all that's left is to get rid of the MBT MBT gone... and go to the next try.
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 5:00:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 6:52:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By bfoosh06:

Lol... been there done that !!
View Quote
Yup,  funny how that happens when your opinion doesn't match others
Link Posted: 11/18/2017 1:25:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By wile_coyote:

Yup,  funny how that happens when your opinion doesn't match others
View Quote
Winston Churchill: "I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top