Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/4/2017 11:03:26 AM EDT
First off, I know they are both excellent barrels, and will likely shoot better that the retard behind the trigger

My question is primarily regarding barrel life. I shoot mostly mk262~ish reloads at a rate of about 4000 a year.

Will they hold up about the same before they loose MOA accuracy or does the cut rifling in a krieger have a clear advantage in longevity as I’ve read around the interwebs?

Barrel will be 18 inch SPR type, most likely from compass lake, Wylde chamber.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 11:12:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I would take the Krieger.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 11:13:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I lost accuracy out of my CLE Douglas at around 4500 rounds and transferred it to my 3-gun rifle.

My current Krieger has around 3200 and has lost about 60fps of velocity but is still accurate. I expect it to last about the same.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 1:18:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Essayons] [#3]
Here's a pretty good summary of button rifled versus hammer forged barrels versus broach cut rifled versus single point cut rifled barrels in gas operated firearms: http://www.fulton-armory.com/faqs/AR-FAQs/Barrels.htm.  There's a link in there to another article specifically on Krieger barrels.  The author clearly likes them a lot.  That said, I know just about any name brand (Douglas, Krieger, etc.) match or target barrel will shoot straighter than I can.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 1:19:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Damn so I could conceivably shoot one out in a year at my rate of fire.

Does anyone make a sub MOA chrome lined barrel good for 10000 rounds?

Ah, if only lol
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 1:44:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Essayons:
Here's a pretty good summary of button rifled versus hammer forged barrels versus broach cut rifled versus single point cut rifled barrels in gas operated firearms: http://www.fulton-armory.com/faqs/AR-FAQs/Barrels.htm.  There's a link in there to another article specifically on Krieger barrels.  The author clearly likes them a lot.  That said, I know just about any name brand (Douglas, Krieger, etc.) match or target barrel will shoot straighter than I can.
View Quote
Great article, thank you!
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 1:51:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ICU] [#6]
Originally Posted By Grendelshooter:

View Quote
FN uses hammer forged, chrome lined barrels in their SPR series rifles. Not sure if it will stay sub moa after 10k...

Edit. Not SPR like AR, these are bolt. Compass Lake built me a Douglas barreled SPR upper... It made me look good, tac driver an understatement.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 2:20:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Ah, if only lol
View Quote
You could try Criterion. I think they're owned by Krieger. @Knife_Sniper (The New Rifleman blog) is the guy to talk to.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 2:27:38 PM EDT
[#8]

Ah, if only lol
View Quote
Actually, Denny's Guns contracted with Mike Rock to do a run of match quality, chrome lined barrels. Made from 4150ish mg-rated steel. Called the Operator barrel.  They preferred the heavy stuff.

Otherwise, saber defense made a really accurate chromelined barrel.  Some folks have gotten lucky with LMT barrels.

Criterion is owned by Kreiger.  They make SS and chromelined barrels.  The Criterion is Kreiger's button rifled barrel line.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 2:44:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Knife_Sniper] [#9]
Originally Posted By HighpowerRifleBrony:
You could try Criterion. I think they're owned by Krieger. @Knife_Sniper (The New Rifleman blog) is the guy to talk to.
View Quote
Thanks Brony!

I have a .223 chrome lined barrel that shoots 10 round groups sub-MOA. Its a Criterion.

Theoretically it will have a barrel life of practically infinity basically... According to the crew at Telludyne.

Needless to say I haven't managed to approach that number.

It still groups like its cold... Even when its hot.

Visit Teludyne Tech on FB. They put their straight jacket system on my rifle and I am still working with it to really understand what it does. Its accurate as hell.
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 5:54:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#10]
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 6:09:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I had CLE make me a service rifle with a Krieger barrel, it was THE MOST ACCURATE barrel I have ever shot. Hands down. Amazing.

I had a LMT MRP with their SS Rock barrel and it sucked, sucked really bad. I sent it back, they replaced it and I fucking sold the upper.

Both instances are a sample of one, they are my experiences and as always, YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 9:39:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Rifling type isn't the main determining factor in barrel life, steel hardness/durability is, along with the type of cartridge, case capacity, overbore, working pressure, etc.

Krieger uses one of the hardest stainless steels on the market.

So does Bartlein.

By cut-rifling them, they take one groove at a time.

Chromoly barrels have much better life to them than stainless in general, but are harder to bore a straight hole through.

The biggest things you can do for barrel life are:

* reduce rate of fire
* reduce working pressure
* use harder stainless steel

If you're pushing 77gr or heavier as fast as you can, you're going to pay for performance on the component life, rules of the road.
Link Posted: 11/5/2017 11:00:49 PM EDT
[#13]
Criterion have an amazing and durable chrome lined barrel.....
Link Posted: 11/6/2017 1:25:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Grendelshooter] [#14]
CME sells the criterion SPR barrel in CM and 416 stainless.

Is CM steel harder than 416?

And where’s the place that sells these criterion chrome lines barrels?

Edit: well I went to their website and checked them out.

Hell of a claim if true-4150CM steel, chrome lined, and MOA accuracy, for a very reasonable price.
It seems too good to be true.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 9:15:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Some top benchrest shooters are now having their very expensive custom stainless barrels sent out for nitride treatment to extend barrel life.

When I bought my Lilja Recon barrel I looked into it.  Carson Lilja had no opinion one way or the other, but was aware that this was being done.

The barrel must be broken in first, as the hardening will make it impossible later.  Throat polishing of reamer tool marks is the main objective, as the bore has been hand lapped.  The hot salt bath will dissolve any remaining carbon or copper fouling, it is claimed.

I elected to pass at the time.  I'm unlikely to shoot more than 1500-2000 rounds a year in that barrel.

I see that nitrided stainless AR barrels are now showing up in the general marketplace, but not yet from top tier match barrel makers.
Link Posted: 12/16/2017 4:34:58 PM EDT
[#16]

Ah, if only lol
View Quote
FN does for their bolt guns.
Link Posted: 12/17/2017 6:03:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By jefflebowski:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By jefflebowski:

Ah, if only lol
Those SPRs shoot lights out with chrome lined barrels. I had an A1, and now have an A5M XP. Both are tits with FGMM.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 11:02:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By doty_soty:

Those SPRs shoot lights out with chrome lined barrels. I had an A1, and now have an A5M XP. Both are tits with FGMM.
View Quote
Yeah, I had an A1 I had to sell, but it was amazing.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 2:02:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Why limit yourself to those two? Wilson, Criterion, Lothar-Walther and Douglas are about equal to each other IMO. Buy the one that comes in the profile you want. On sale is better.

Brux, Broughton, Krieger, Pac-Nor, Shilen, Lilja, Noveske and Bartlein are all top tier, expensive and may or may not shoot any better. The market is awash in premium quality barrels. The art form is at its zenith right now.
Link Posted: 1/10/2018 11:54:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#20]
Originally Posted By borderpatrol:
Why limit yourself to those two? Wilson, Criterion, Lothar-Walther and Douglas are about equal to each other IMO. Buy the one that comes in the profile you want. On sale is better.

Brux, Broughton, Krieger, Pac-Nor, Shilen, Lilja, Noveske and Bartlein are all top tier, expensive and may or may not shoot any better. The market is awash in premium quality barrels. The art form is at its zenith right now.
View Quote
Perfect answer.  Any barrel in that top tier group will likely be more accurate than 99.9 percent of the people on the trigger.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top