Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/31/2017 5:42:27 PM EDT
Before I order anything I want to be sure that I can install and use a DPMS style barrel and bcg in my Armalite AR10 upper receiver?  I have a DEF10 and am thinking of rebarrelling to a Ballistic Advantage Hanson barrel.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 7:25:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sinister] [#1]
You can but you'll need a shorter (AR-15) gas tube.  You may also have to shorten your handguard rail.  You'll have to do a headspace check to ensure your present bolt safely mates to your new chamber.

This print shows you the gas tube length difference (AR-10 is a quarter-inch longer than AR-15/DPMS-308).

Link Posted: 10/31/2017 8:08:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a standard mid length gas tube already (non Armalite).  What do you mean by shortening the handguard rail?  I have free float rail on there now if that makes a difference.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 8:22:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sinister] [#3]
If you use a low-profile gas block it'll fit inside your rail.  You'll have to check if the DPMS mid-length gas port is drilled the same distance from the rear of the barrel extension -- too short and the bolt carrier won't go forward far enough, too long and you won't enough gas to function correctly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top