Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/27/2017 3:29:56 PM EDT
I'm debating b/w a Faxon 20" heavy barrel 5r barrel and the Brownells 18" or 24" barrel. (I have a giftcard, so choices are confined to Brownells). Does anyone have experience w/ either or both? This will be a "do-all" rifle i.e. I have a range out to 800 I would like to ring steel with and 1x or 2x a year it may go out antelope/deer, coyote hunting. I would be very happy w/ a .75 MOA rifle, but I need it to be MOA at least. Im not looking for a featherweight rifle, but handy would be nice.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 3:51:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I have no experience with the Faxon barrel, but just the word heavy in the description kills it for me.

I have the Brownell's 18in and it shoots better than your requirement.

Weight with a bipod and a loaded 5 round magazine, with scope is just under 10lbs.

Just food for thought OP.

SY
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 4:07:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Arkhangel:
I have no experience with the Faxon barrel, but just the word heavy in the description kills it for me.

I have the Brownell's 18in and it shoots better than your requirement.

Weight with a bipod and a loaded 5 round magazine, with scope is just under 10lbs.

Just food for thought OP.

SY
View Quote
The Faxon Barrels are actually lighter than the Satern barrels
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 4:17:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m6z] [#3]
Faxon has an 18" fluted barrel as well.  

An 18" barrel will be plenty for 800 yards.

https://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/barrel-parts/rifle-barrels/ar-15-barrels-6-5-grendel-heavy-profile-prod108069.aspx
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 4:55:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: VASCAR2] [#4]
I’ve got a 16” Faxon 6.5 Grendel barrel and I really like it.  I also have a 20” Shilen and the Faxon with QPQ/Nitride will probably out last a Brownell’s stainless sreel 6.5 Grendel.   I would pick the Faxon partially because of SAAMI chamber over Grendel II on Brownell’s Satern/Liberty.   I’d also suggest a 20 MOA scope mount as my 16” 6.5 Grendel runs out of elevation around 800 yards.  I’m using a Vortex 6.5-20X50 Viper in an Aadmount 20 MOA one piece mount and have plenty of elevation even close to sea level.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 7:50:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By VASCAR2:
 I would pick the Faxon partially because of SAAMI chamber over Grendel II on Brownell’s Satern/Liberty.  
View Quote
Can you explain this ?
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 9:55:14 PM EDT
[#6]
The Faxon uses a SAAMI spec 6.5 Grendel chamber with compound throat.  The Brownell’s barrels use Satern/Liberty button rifled barrel with Grendel II chamber.  Alexander Arms did a lot of testing before finalizing the design submitted by AA and Hornady to SAAMI for certification.  If you believe AA the compound throat aids in the accuracy in a wide variety of projectile shapes, weight, length and construction.

The Grendel II chamber uses a traditional barrel throat with a long leade.   Some Brownell’s barrels are very accurate with certain bullets but in my experience may not prove accurate with a wide variety of bullet weights, lengths and bullet types.   Granted I only have experience with a few Brownell’s barrels but I have three SAAMI spec 6.5 Grendel and I like them.   Basically it boils down to personal choice, I have a couple of Friends who have Brownell’s barrels and they like them.

After owning a Faxon I’d probably buy Faxon.   If I were going to buy a Satern/Liberty barrel I’d buy it from Brownell’s just because of Brownell’s customer Service.    Let me say there have been issue with Satern and the 6.5 Grendel which is why there is a Grendel II chamber.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 10:13:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for explaining this for me . I've been racking my brain deciding on a barrel for my 6.5 build don't know what to do ??
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 4:21:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#8]
Funny how a hundred of other cartridges shoot well without a compound throat. 

Do you hand load OP? If so get the Brownells you won't be limited by a short throat.

From my 24" Brownells barreled budget build

All of these loads were worked up in about 25-30 rounds, so they all came easy and could probably be better if I tried. These are mostly larger  groups so take that into account when comparing.
Tell me how the Grendel II doesn't work well with different bullets.

By the way, all of these large number strings are fired in a row with no cool down.

90gr TNT

130 Hybrid AR

140 gr Custom Comp

140 gr Berger Hybrid

147 gr ELDM

150gr SMK lol doesn't care for those.

Link Posted: 10/29/2017 12:13:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Mag-fed COL limits projectile shape in any cartridge regarding throat configuration.

That's why the Grendel has a compound throat.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 11:36:19 AM EDT
[#10]
My 18inch Brownell’s well only shoot two bullets well and those are 120 Hornady and 120 Nosler BT. I have had mixed success with 95 gr Vmax.  Anything  north of 120 gr, even 123gr will not shoot at all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top