Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/16/2017 1:49:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lunyou]
I’m trying to finish up my AP M5E1. I’m looking to add a brake to soften the recoil a bit more. I shoot with plenty of ear protection and very seldom with anyone else so the side blast isn’t an issue.

My top two choices are the VG6 Gamma and the Larue Tranquillo brake.

The prices are similar from what I’ve found. I’ve read good things about the VG6 and well Larues products are generally top notch.

I would eventually love to get a Tranquillo suppressor so that’s a minor consideration in this.

Does anyone else have a suggestion? Opinions on the aforementioned options?
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 1:04:34 PM EDT
[#1]
The tranquillo brake was pleasant to shoot.  Less blast to the shooter than the vg6.  That being said I replaced mine with a Surefire warcomp as I've got a mini coming for it.  Gives some help with muzzle climb but no blast and full flash hider function.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 4:20:29 PM EDT
[#2]
If you just want it as a break I wouldn't do the tranquillo, it's pretty large to mate with the tranquillo.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 9:14:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I have both, but can't give you a 1:1 comparison since my VG6 was on my 6.5CM and now a 308, and the Tranquillo on a Grendel.  The tranquillo is a bit long for just a brake as mentioned before, but if you are going to end up with the suppressor, I'd get it just for the easy on easy off.  

I use the gamma for my AR that I use for 3-gun, and liked how it managed recoil, so I got another for my CM.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 10:30:30 AM EDT
[#4]
So I have been reading reviews and the two you mentioned don't seem to be in the lists. Jp for less movement and M4-72 Severe-Duty Compensator for recoil, if you don't mind stuff blown back at you. Or American Precision Arms (APA) Little B* for 308 or Alamo Four Star Cowl Induction Muzzle Brake.
At least these are the ones I am looking at.
Why the ones you picked?
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 6:37:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: steelcomp] [#5]
AP Little Bastard
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 11:01:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bfoosh06] [#6]
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 9:19:40 AM EDT
[#7]
Rate the following list in importance for your needs:

1. Recoil reduction
2. Minimal perceived muzzle blast to the shooter
3. Suppressor compatibility
4. Muzzle rise
5. Dust signature from blast

The Tranquillo rates like this for me, experience only on 6.5 Grendel so far:

1. Minimal muzzle blast to my face/ears.  Sounds like the Robocop gun, not like a massive gilled brake.
2. Recoil reduction.  Gun barely moves.  Reticle came 1.5 MOA off of POA at worst with free recoil off a shag bench block.
3. No real muzzle rise, maybe .75 MOA at the most.
4. Is compatible with the Tranquillo suppressor for $399 ad-on with the rifle or AR Builder Kit.

It reminds me of the Dead Air muzzle brake, very similar, pleasant signature and behavior.  I was pleasantly surprised.

It's the least obnoxious muzzle brake I think I've shot to date.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 8:06:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I went ahead and bit the bullet on a VG6 Gamma. I got it for $45 so if I don’t like it I have a buddy that’ll take it.

Overall I wanted recoil reduction, muzzle rise mitigation, and a lack of dust blow back.

I expect the sound to be obnoxious but I wear hearing protection even while hunting so no biggie there.

I’ll do a decent review once it comes in.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 11:10:22 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By steelcomp:
AP Little Bastard
View Quote
Plus one to this, have one on my 308 can easily shoot 150 230gr loads in a session.

I have the Area419 on my Grendel that works great as well and shrunk my groups (so did the Magneto bayo so I got lucky) 
Link Posted: 11/4/2017 8:01:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 11:40:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Update

Installed the Gamma on my M5E1. Fit great, looks great.

Took it out hunting. One shot on a deer from prone and I missed. My fault misjudged the distance by a long range. But there was almost no recoil and I saw the round hit the dirt so that confirms the lack of recoil. Also my gf was prone next to me watching the shot and said she didn’t notice any muzzle blast to the face. She said she did see a large fireball that looked cool.

Sad I missed and disappointed that I took the shot. I’m a better hunter than that. But the Gamma exceeded all expectations.

Overall the addition do the Larue RAT stock and the Gamma makes this .308 feel like shooting a stock AR15 M4gery with standard equipment.
Link Posted: 11/14/2017 1:06:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I went with the Hellfire from area419 over the TQ brake. I am very impressed with how good a job it does, no jump, very little movement, and at the gun its not too loud.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top