Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2017 2:05:42 AM EDT
How do you guys install the barrel, muzzle device, rail, etc. I know about the Geissele reaction rod, but $200 is absurd. Is there an alternative "rod" on the market?
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 7:09:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I use these for most everything:  https://www.plastixrevolution.net/products/308-upper-receiver-vise-block-ar10-sr25-lr308

For installing a muzzle device I clamp my barrel between two wooden blocks, torque brake, and done.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 8:46:11 AM EDT
[#2]
I used a receiver block similar to the one mentioned above and similar methods.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:38:12 AM EDT
[#3]
How about the Brownells reaction rod for $49.99?

I have Geissele $99 rod, used it to build my 6.5Creed, no issues.

Friend used the Brownells version, no issues, only cheaper, same end result.

SY
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 3:18:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rob78:
I use these for most everything:  https://www.plastixrevolution.net/products/308-upper-receiver-vise-block-ar10-sr25-lr308

For installing a muzzle device I clamp my barrel between two wooden blocks, torque brake, and done.
View Quote
I'd considered the same rig job, but wanted to use something more purpose built if possible. My upper is an Aero M5E1, so I'm wondering if it would fit those clamps?

I have a 5.56 Geissele RR, I may try it. Won't have my receiver set until tomorrow to see.

I'll check out Brownell's.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 4:27:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By beatsAstick:

I'd considered the same rig job, but wanted to use something more purpose built if possible. My upper is an Aero M5E1, so I'm wondering if it would fit those clamps?

I have a 5.56 Geissele RR, I may try it. Won't have my receiver set until tomorrow to see.

I'll check out Brownell's.

Thanks.
View Quote

Purpose built?  Working on an upper is the purpose of of receiver blocks.

If you have a top rail (yes) and two lugs for the pivot/takedown pins (yes) then the blocks will work fine.  

A 5.56 reaction rod won't work in a large frame AR.

The blocks I linked are the cheapest way to do what you want to do.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 4:32:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Got the combo setup (link below) from PlastixRevolution... Mine's built on Aero Precision.

Combo Receiver Block

Worked perfectly putting mine together.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:33:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: beatsAstick] [#7]
I was referring to rigging the upper by the barrel between wood blocks. I wanted to avoid that. I didn't expect the 556 rod to work, but if it worked on his 6.5, why not try.

I'll get those blocks, thanks. I should have looked/read how those work. I was assuming they encased the upper like a typical AR15 block set.

Great looking build btw.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:05:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't know if you've ordered the blocks or plan more builds,  but I could lend you mine... unless you just want to add another tool to your collection  

If interested email me and let me know.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 12:36:03 PM EDT
[#9]
I ordered the multi-cal blocks. Don't plan on any more builds anytime soon, but I may need it for zombie apocalypse barrel changes.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 1:24:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By beatsAstick:
I ordered the multi-cal blocks. Don't plan on any more builds anytime soon, but I may need it for zombie apocalypse barrel changes.
View Quote

the multi-blocks are nice.  I wished I'd ordered them, but I already have a set of Spikes blocks (which apparently were discontinued).  Got the 308-specific ones instead...they don't have the pin system.

More tools is always more better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top