Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2017 8:23:46 PM EDT
Finally broke down and ordered a LaRue MBT-2S. I currently have an AR Gold in my Grendel and an SD-E (used to be an SSA-E) in my Creedmoor. I like the looks of the size and curve of the LaRue so thought I'd give it a try.  All have been really nice.  I would still like to try a Geissele hi speed match too though.

Once that's done,  I can choose which works best for me and swap the remaining for consistency.  

Anyone have opinions or observations the can share regarding the triggers mentioned?
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 8:25:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By wile_coyote:
Finally broke down and ordered a LaRue MBT-2S. I currently have an AR Gold in my Grendel and an SD-E (used to be an SSA-E) in my Creedmoor. I like the looks of the size and curve of the LaRue so thought I'd give it a try.  All have been really nice.  I would still like to try a Geissele hi speed match too though.

Once that's done,  I can choose which works best for me and swap the remaining for consistency.  

Anyone have opinions or observations the can share regarding the triggers mentioned?
View Quote
Opinions? Nothing will be as good as your AR Gold. Ever.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 8:36:00 PM EDT
[#2]

View Quote

The HSNM is the best semi trigger in existence.
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 8:45:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I am to be feared by all trigger manufacturers!!!!

When I win the lottery, or receive my inheritance, (coming soon) I am setting out on a MISSION. To wit:

I will assemble as many lowers as needed to have a sample of EVERY trigger group presently available, and every variation of said tiggers. I will present my assortment of triggers at as many possible ranges and shooting venues as possible. These lowers wil be paired with the same generic uppers. I will offer a true blind test to all comers. I will record all test results on video for all to see.

In this experiment we will determine exactly how many people can discern one trigger from another, can identify one trigger from another, can actually decide what a great trigger means to them etc etc.

I truly appreciate innovation in all things gun related, but after 40+ yrs in this industry, there are only so many things that can be done to make a real difference in a device. My goal is not to dis any particular trigger maker, merely to show that we need to stop all the hype and focus on real advantages and actually superior products.

Flame suit on..... bring it
Link Posted: 10/7/2017 9:11:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wile_coyote] [#4]
The AR Gold is nice,  the only small thing for me is I like a wider bow. The SSA-E and SD-E are basically the same.  Only reason I switched was to try a straight trigger bow. My preference is curved since I have tried both now.  

The price of the LaRue is good and I have the Steiners on my rifles in LaRue mounts.  Wouldn't swap those out for anything.  Given those two factors I just thought it would be good to give the LaRue a try.

Maybe I'll have to sell or swap the SD-E for a HSNM. Then I may actually be able to say those two projects are finished... yes I know I'm kidding myself
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 12:57:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds fun to me. But what's life without a good quest?
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 8:55:50 AM EDT
[#6]
For precision shooting, it's hard to beat the HSNM in a semi-auto.

The adjustability and break haven't been equaled by any other semi-auto trigger I've tried.

I don't know of another 2 stage that would let me set my second stage at 8oz...and be safe, reliable, and consistent.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 8:37:02 AM EDT
[#7]
love my single stage elfman
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 12:09:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Have a couple of Geissele Hi-Speeds, SD-E, SD3G, Elftman 3gun, Rise 535.  For my current build I wanted a light single-stage and the only thing I found was a Timney Calvin Elite.  At 1.5lbs and short reset this may be the ticket for me.  

Would like to get other options/ideas.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 11:21:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Joe Bob’s Outfitters has the Hiperfire 24e for $130.  Given it a try as well.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 8:30:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Coble9] [#10]
I love my jard top adjustable trigger with weighted hammer. $172.50 shipped for an adjustable single stage at 1.5lb. You set the travel and engagement to your taste. 1.5-5lb for those that think you're going to kill yourself with anything under ...lbs. To them I say learn to keep your dick beaters off the trigger until you want it to go off.  Get what you are comfortable with and let others do the same.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:29:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 44-40pro:
I am to be feared by all trigger manufacturers!!!!

When I win the lottery, or receive my inheritance, (coming soon) I am setting out on a MISSION. To wit:

I will assemble as many lowers as needed to have a sample of EVERY trigger group presently available, and every variation of said tiggers. I will present my assortment of triggers at as many possible ranges and shooting venues as possible. These lowers wil be paired with the same generic uppers. I will offer a true blind test to all comers. I will record all test results on video for all to see.

In this experiment we will determine exactly how many people can discern one trigger from another, can identify one trigger from another, can actually decide what a great trigger means to them etc etc.

I truly appreciate innovation in all things gun related, but after 40+ yrs in this industry, there are only so many things that can be done to make a real difference in a device. My goal is not to dis any particular trigger maker, merely to show that we need to stop all the hype and focus on real advantages and actually superior products.

Flame suit on..... bring it

Do it!!!!  You may need some educated testers but they can’t be too savvy of the triggers being tested. I know I can tell the difference between an SSA, SSA-E, and MBT by feel.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:42:54 PM EDT
[#12]
To me, the MBT and the SSA-E are pretty much the same.  I prefer the SSA-E a hair more, but can barely, on a good day, tell the difference.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 8:46:41 AM EDT
[#13]
For the most part, high end triggers are going to be like toilet paper. YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 5:00:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Waiting for the MBT to come in. When it does it will probably just go in my carbine, but I am still considering whether I want to change out the standard trigger on that rifle. Going to sell one of the others (the Geissele) so I can standardize the triggers in my precision rigs. Thinking I will go the the AR Gold for a couple different reasons. Nothing negative on the SSA-E or SD-E, I just like a few things about the AR Gold more and the AR Gold I currently have is for an AR10... may as well get one for the 15.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 11:57:20 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2JokersWild] [#15]
I'm afraid I cant help any of you guys, being a stickler for the best of course I run the best trigger money can buy. JP Precision. 

I am keen to give a Geiselle a go at some point though. I think I'll buy a lower and get started on that actually as I need a NV based rifle for night time fun.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:18:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I finally put my AR Gold back in my Creedmoor.  After shooting this weekend it'll stay there. It is a black edition that came from a PredatOBR and it is awesome in that rifle.  I have the SD-E removed from my Grendel and should have an MBT in hand tomorrow.  I'll try that out in my Grendel, but for consistency I'm thinking of putting an AR Gold in that too.

That leaves the SD-E and the MBT. Depending on what works better for me,  one will probably just end up in my carbine and the other sold off. I have the SD-E listed, so if it sells before I can try the MBT this weekend the MBT may be in use for a while.

To be honest,  the SSA-E, SD-E and AR Gold have all been great triggers.  I'm sure the MBT will be to and this is all an exercise in finding what works for me. Bad thing is I have not tried a HSNM so this exercise may not be over. Both my precision rifles were long time in plan and build,  but that's all part of the draw to this hobby.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 8:01:34 AM EDT
[#17]
For a dedicated precision rig, the HSNM his tough to beat.  I keep my second stage right at 1lb.  For my hunting rigs, I prefer the DMR due to the higher sear weight.

I like the SSA-E for everything else.  It has a good break, just not as clean as the DMR or the HSNM.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 10:02:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: richiemfmead] [#18]
What would you folks recommend for best (lightest, least reset) that's a drop in flat trigger unit for my upcoming 308 JP SACS build? I was thinking elfman. AR10/AR15 triggers are same right?
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 11:51:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wile_coyote] [#19]
Yes same on the 15 & 10.

I think the Rise Armament 535 has a very short reset, but I could be wrong.  I haven't tried one. Light would probably be an adjusted Geissele HSNM.

Going to install the MBT in my Grendel right now.

ETA - Got it installed. Have to say I'm really liking the trigger bow.  Pictures was one of the reasons I bought the MBT. The bow looked and is wide and flat.  For me, finger placement seems easy on the MBT. I know the real test will be a range test,  this weekend won't come fast enough
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 4:24:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Yes same on the 15 & 10.

I think the Rise Armament 535 has a very short reset, but I could be wrong.  I haven't tried one. Light would probably be an adjusted Geissele HSNM.

Going to install the MBT in my Grendel right now.

ETA - Got it installed. Have to say I'm really liking the trigger bow.  Pictures was one of the reasons I bought the MBT. The bow looked and is wide and flat.  For me, finger placement seems easy on the MBT. I know the real test will be a range test,  this weekend won't come fast enough
View Quote
RA 535 looks pretty schwifty. Might try that. Curious how it compares to the Elfman. The Geissele HSNM looks like its not a unit perse' and is only available curved. Looks like the MBT is curved as well.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:29:55 PM EDT
[#21]

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/04/jeremy-s/ar-15-drop-in-trigger-roundup/
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 12:03:37 AM EDT
[#22]
I really like my two MBT triggers, but I wish the 2nd stage was a bit lighter. I've been meaning to try a HSNM.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 9:15:17 AM EDT
[#23]
The table above is great.  I had read that article. Great info for cassette type drop in triggers.  

I really like my AR Gold. The only drawback for me is the bow itself. That's all on me and my opinion ands preferences. It has not stopped me from running that trigger. I have me black bow AR10 AR Gold running in my AR10 Creedmoor and it'll stay in that rifle.

The MBT feels very similar to the SSA-E and SD-E. That being said,  I really like the bow on it.  Curved,  but the face is wide and flat.  When I received it and looked at it, it is typical LaRue.  This thing is made really nice. The name is appropriate,  meticulous fits. It is a good deal for the price.  

I'm looking forward to finding out how it feels and works for me when I shoot.

I was asked recently about all these triggers.  I look at it like this now. They are all very close.They are like a pistols,  find what fits you best and go from there.
All I've tried have worked really well.  This exercise for me now is just trying to make things consistent on each of my rifles. Trigger control and muscle memory still reign supreme. I'm just happy we have so many choices that allows us all to be able to tailor our weapons to what works and feels best for each of us.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 1:36:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By BLDTYLRY:
http://cdn0.thetruthaboutguns.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Triggers-Stats.jpg

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2016/04/jeremy-s/ar-15-drop-in-trigger-roundup/
View Quote
This is awesome! Thanks so much.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 6:05:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BLDTYLRY] [#25]
Installed the Timney Calvin Elite AR15 single-stage trigger the other day.  This is a very nice single-stage.  I would say so far that this is the best single-stage I own.  I have two Elftmann 3Gun and a RISE 535; while the reset and creep are almost non-existent on both the Elftmann and RISE, I’m not a big fan of the shape of the trigger in either.  The Elftmann has lots of hard edges while the RISE feels to curved.  The CE comes with several trigger shoes but the one I’m running now is the knurled.  I’m right-handed and I have the trigger pivoting slightly outward which puts my finger in a more natural postion while gripping the pistol grip.

Link Posted: 10/26/2017 8:07:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By BLDTYLRY:
Installed the Timney Calvin Elite AR15 single-stage trigger the other day.  This is a very nice single-stage.  I would say so far that this is the best single-stage I own.  I have two Elftmann 3Gun and a RISE 535; while the reset and creep are almost non-existent on both the Elftmann and RISE, I’m not a big fan of the shape of the trigger in either.  The Elftmann has lots of hard edges while the RISE feels to curved.  The CE comes with several trigger shoes but the one I’m running now is the knurled.  I’m right-handed and I have the trigger pivoting slightly outward which puts my finger in a more natural postion while gripping the pistol grip.

https://www.timneytriggers.com/shop/Assets/ProductImages/660CE_AR_Calvin_Elite_Full.png
View Quote
That's cool I had wondered about those.  Thank you for the reply and info.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top