Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2017 11:22:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: wile_coyote]
I have a 6.5 Creedmoor.  I really like the round,  but have found it a bit finicky.

I've been shooting 120 a max and 140 & 143 eld and eld-x. Both hit accurate,  but my rifle doesn't like the lighter ammo.  It will feed the heavier no issues and unlike the lighter the bolt will lock back on the last round.

The rifle is using a 22" barrel,  rifle length gas system,  A2 receiver extension, DPMS AR10 buffer and spring,  etc... cases show no signs of anything,  no cratering. I've used both P-mags and DPMS steel and am sticking with steel. Rifle shown below.

Anyone else run into similar issues? I don't really mind using the heavier and had planned on those being my go-to, just curious.

Thanks in advance.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 1:09:31 PM EDT
[#1]
WC
     Nice stick.

Not my rifle, but have seen others have issues with lighter bullets. eg factory 120 amax.

One of the problem rifles was a JP Enterprises built rifle with extended gas. With the lightweight factory 120gr Amax, it was blowing primers and tearing up case rims. It did not do this with the heavier bullets the last time I saw this rifle shoot.

My personal rifle is a 20in with rlgs. I made the decision early on that I would not shoot the lightweight bullets in this rifle. It shoots the Hornady Black and American eagle 140's just fine. It does not like the hotter Hornady match ammo. I get pierced primers when I run those.

Current match load is the Hornady 130 ELDM's doing 2750fps using Hornady cases, CCI match primer with H4350.

Only issue I had with my rifle was it would eject the brass at 2 o clock, changed to heavier buffer spring and adjusted gas block and it now ejects at 3:30-4 o clock and runs like a top.

My 2c,

SY
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:28:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Arkhangel:
WC
     Nice stick.

Not my rifle, but have seen others have issues with lighter bullets. eg factory 120 amax.

One of the problem rifles was a JP Enterprises built rifle with extended gas. With the lightweight factory 120gr Amax, it was blowing primers and tearing up case rims. It did not do this with the heavier bullets the last time I saw this rifle shoot.

My personal rifle is a 20in with rlgs. I made the decision early on that I would not shoot the lightweight bullets in this rifle. It shoots the Hornady Black and American eagle 140's just fine. It does not like the hotter Hornady match ammo. I get pierced primers when I run those.

Current match load is the Hornady 130 ELDM's doing 2750fps using Hornady cases, CCI match primer with H4350.

Only issue I had with my rifle was it would eject the brass at 2 o clock, changed to heavier buffer spring and adjusted gas block and it now ejects at 3:30-4 o clock and runs like a top.

My 2c,

SY
View Quote
Thanks for the reply.  That's what a lot of my research pointed to as well.  Fine with me,  I wanted the heavier projectiles.  I was originally gonna go with a 7mm-08 on this build,  but couldn't get to the projectiles I wanted.  I'll just stick with the heavier projectiles. My Grendel eats the 123's and loves them so I'm all good there.

Love my rifle (actually both Creedmoor and Grendel). Was just curious if it was pretty common with the lighter.  Now,  time to start working up loads for the one shown.

Are you loading? If so,  mind sharing experiences and/or recipes? Looking to start out with some RL-17. Got CFE 223 and ARCOMP to mess with for Grendel.

Thanks again.  ??
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 12:13:01 AM EDT
[#3]
WC,
     I also have a Grendel in addition to the Creed.

Both shoot great, I shoot them in NRA AR tactical matches at 300, 500, and 600yds prone.

I don't use any of those powders you have listed, I have them but have not tested them in either platform.

For the Creed I run H4350 under a 130gr Berger or Hornady ELD-m, going ~2750fps, holds sub-moa out to 600yds. It sends the 140gr bullets at 2640fps. I

For the Grendel I use IMR8208XBR exclusively. This because it grouped great right off the bat with this powder, and I like temp stable powders. Under a 123gr Hornady ELD-m. Lapua brass, CCI BR4 primer gets ~2470fps, .5gr under book max. This is from an 18in 8tw barrel. My Grendel has nearly 1k rounds thru it using this combo. Lapua brass is at 4x fired. I retired my Hornady brass from competition at 5x, when I had a case split at the shoulder, it will be used for expendable hunting rounds from now on.

Hope that helps

SY
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top