Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2017 9:37:26 PM EDT
I just finished a .308  on an 80% Genesis receiver assy with a 20" heavy fluted Faxon barrel. All good parts; Aero Precision BCG, Geissele trigger, MI hand guard, Little Bastard brake. I let a friend borrow it last weekend and he says it's a tack driver @ 100 yds shooting .5 -.6 moa with Hornady match ammo but when he went to 200 yds, he could hardly hit the target shooting at a 3 x 5 piece of paper. Went back to 100 yds...tack driver. Rifle functions 100%. Nothing loose, not the scope, nothing obvious. I've built a lot of rifles...lot of AR's, lot of precision bolt guns. Never had anything like this happen and it's got me and even some pro's stumped.
Has anyone had any experience with these barrels? I see Faxon isn't even offering it right now. Makes me wonder if they're just out of them or if there was a problem.
TIA
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 9:49:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 9:55:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: HighpowerRifleBrony] [#2]
The internet says bullets go to sleep. These get woke.

Not enough magnification or wrong reticle for a 1.5x2.5 MOA target?

ETA: Faxon shows 1:10 for .308 barrels on their site. Should be enough for up to Hornady's 208s.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 10:01:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: steelcomp] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AeroE:
What is the barrel twist?

Does the ammunition box have a velocity?

A combination of a short barrel and too little rifling twist is most likely the problem.  Try shooting a shorter bullet.
View Quote
It's their 20" 5R 416 stainless Melonite barrel, 1:10 twist. This is boiler plate stuff. Nothing special, really. Should shoot like any other decent (AR) .308.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 7:22:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Have you tried verifying your friend's results?
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 8:43:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 9:49:55 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rob78:
Have you tried verifying your friend's results?
View Quote
No need. He's probably a better shooter than I am. Not sure if you've ever heard of Jarret rifles but that's who's range he was at when they found the problem. The guys at Jarret are just a little sharp...
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 1:25:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 9:19:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Shoot at a larger target and see if it still holds the same grouping but just not hitting POA. If it's still grouping well it's probably as stated above and is an optic issue. Or try a different scope.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:26:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By steelcomp:
I just finished a .308  on an 80% Genesis receiver assy with a 20" heavy fluted Faxon barrel.
TIA
View Quote

I have gotta ask, and nothing to do with your post:  When did you get the 80% Genesis lower?  I know many of (us) have been emailing those guys, and think they are out of business.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top