Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2017 11:49:49 PM EDT
I picked up one of those Wheeler Level-Level-Level kits from the LGS. 

I used it on the flat top of my AR upper and got that level. I then moved the rifle level to the inside of the receiver, resting on what I thought were the rails inside the upper. There was a noticeable difference in the bubble location between the inside rails and the upper. Thinking the inside mounting was a big funky I moved it back to the top of the rails. At that point I didnt have a lot of confidence so I went to the old fashioned method of using a carpenters level and hanging a string on the far end of the room. 

But it got me wondering how people are leveling their reticles. I mean in a long range precision game everything makes a difference, and if you are dialing in dope if your reticle isnt dead bang you'll be dialing in dope and dialing in errors at the same time. (Which certainly lends to the argument to do the scope box test).

So whats the trick to getting dead bang reticle to rifle? Looking for advice, tools or otherwise a good method to use. 
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 1:15:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Reorx] [#1]
Originally Posted By 2JokersWild:
... So whats the trick to getting dead bang reticle to rifle?
View Quote

There is no need for dead bang reticle to rifle...  there might be a need for dead bang reticle to gravity!  I use a plumb line and a scope tube bubble level.  There's a recent thread here that goes into details...  I can't seem to find it but perhaps someone will post a link...

Link Posted: 7/18/2017 8:26:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MS556] [#2]
I just use a simple bubble level.  I put it on top of the rail and level the rifle in a padded bench vise. Then with the rifle locked in place I do the same thing with the level sitting on top of the elevation turret.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:00:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I use my iphone's carpenter level app. Level the upper rail in a vise first, snug down the scope mount bases to the rail, then calibrate the app to zero setting at the upper rail orientation. Align the scope by placing the phone on the elevation cap and rotate/tighten the tube until zero setting, which matches rail, is achieved. This method of course assumes the retical was installed properly in the scope at the factory and is square in the tube relative to the adjustment cover caps. The scope tube will shift/rotate when tightening the tube clamps so it takes a few iterations of tightening and loosening to get the final alignment fixed. Not perfect science, but less than one-tenth degree difference between scope and upper alignment is sufficient for my needs.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 9:51:15 AM EDT
[#4]
As mentioned before... First, level the rifle. For the optic... I use a 1" line level on top of the elevation turret to make sure scope tube level & a plumb-line hanging from ceiling to make sure reticle is aligned. Tighten rings in a cross pattern slowly & make sure scope isnt rotating in rings. Dont over torque anything.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:53:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I use the feeler gauge method.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 11:19:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 2JokersWild:
I picked up one of those Wheeler Level-Level-Level kits from the LGS. 

http://i.imgur.com/Dk832qV.jpg

I used it on the flat top of my AR upper and got that level. I then moved the rifle level to the inside of the receiver, resting on what I thought were the rails inside the upper. There was a noticeable difference in the bubble location between the inside rails and the upper. Thinking the inside mounting was a big funky I moved it back to the top of the rails. At that point I didnt have a lot of confidence so I went to the old fashioned method of using a carpenters level and hanging a string on the far end of the room. 

But it got me wondering how people are leveling their reticles. I mean in a long range precision game everything makes a difference, and if you are dialing in dope if your reticle isnt dead bang you'll be dialing in dope and dialing in errors at the same time. (Which certainly lends to the argument to do the scope box test).

So whats the trick to getting dead bang reticle to rifle? Looking for advice, tools or otherwise a good method to use. 
View Quote

Wheeler makes a different set of levels that has a barrel clamp. That's the better set to get. I have both.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 12:59:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Arisaka optic leveler if it's suitable for use with your mount and scope. You need a flat top on the mount, base on the scope and enough clearance to get the tool between them. I usually check after installation with a level and a plumb line, but I've never had to make any post install adjustments after using the Arisaka tool.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 8:12:27 AM EDT
[#8]
I have some small bubble level tubes that came with some HD picture frame hanging brackets.

similar to these

I set one on an open rail groove to level the rifle. Then I do the plumb line method with a flashlight
pointing through the objective
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 5:19:45 PM EDT
[#9]
i bought the Wheeler level level level kit. lost some confidence when i put the 2 levels next to each other on a flat surface and they didn't have the same indication.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 6:25:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PoopdeckPappy:
Arisaka optic leveler if it's suitable for use with your mount and scope. You need a flat top on the mount, base on the scope and enough clearance to get the tool between them. I usually check after installation with a level and a plumb line, but I've never had to make any post install adjustments after using the Arisaka tool.
View Quote
Basically this OP. You can buy them on Amazon for cheap too.

I just leveled a NF the other day and it was too easy. Can't believe I've never used one sooner.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 7:57:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Torchy:

I just leveled a NF the other day and it was too easy. Can't believe I've never used one sooner.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Torchy:

Yep.  They are fantastic
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 7:59:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Feeler gauges then set my level to a plumb line 
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:59:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I use the bubble tubes that I removed from an old level.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 10:13:04 PM EDT
[#14]
level on rail, scope and a level line on my shed.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:13:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TheQuadfather] [#15]
I've been using a US Optics rail mounted level and a tall tower about two miles away.  

Not sure if the tower is level, but it's close enough.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 12:17:56 PM EDT
[#16]
I level the gun in a vise. Then I have a make a level mark on the wall to level the reticle to.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 1:19:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#17]
Originally Posted By Hamiltbl2:
I level the gun in a vise. Then I have a make a level mark on the wall to level the reticle to.
View Quote
This is kind of what I do.  I level the gun in one of those cleaning kits with the v slots and rubber coated and it stays put pretty good.  Then I put the reticle on a corner in my house that I know is basically level.  

It's not always perfect though. I think sometimes the gun moves.  

A good way to do it is outside and drop some string from a tree limb with something a bit heavier tied to the bottom.  As long as there is no wind.  Or I guess just do the sting trick inside.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 1:02:50 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By RoadieWingZ:
I use my iphone's carpenter level app. Level the upper rail in a vise first, snug down the scope mount bases to the rail, then calibrate the app to zero setting at the upper rail orientation. Align the scope by placing the phone on the elevation cap and rotate/tighten the tube until zero setting, which matches rail, is achieved. This method of course assumes the retical was installed properly in the scope at the factory and is square in the tube relative to the adjustment cover caps. The scope tube will shift/rotate when tightening the tube clamps so it takes a few iterations of tightening and loosening to get the final alignment fixed. Not perfect science, but less than one-tenth degree difference between scope and upper alignment is sufficient for my needs.
View Quote
This^^^ works great.  
I use two Iphones simultaneously.  One on the rail and one on the scope elevation cap.  Verify by making sure gun and scope are level when done with the dual Iphones and aim at a plum line with your reticle to confirm everything is in sync and lined up.
the level app is found by opening your compass and swiping left.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 7:48:08 AM EDT
[#19]
View Quote
This. I used to use feeler gauges, but the Arisaka tool works great!
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 8:26:43 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By strat81:
View Quote
I do to.  It's very easy with a picatinnny top.   Or a metal ruler; Touch one one edge to bottom of slot and tip the other long edge upward to the flat of the
Turret housing.   This is assuming the maker has the damn reticle in straight.   Leupold likes to call tilted reticles "in spec".
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 5:08:36 PM EDT
[#21]
That thread that I alluded to earlier >>>  Scope leveling with a deck of cards!...  Enjoy!
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 12:33:12 AM EDT
[#22]
Wheeler Pro level kit with the barrel clamp.
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 8:53:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By Et2ss:
I have some small bubble level tubes that came with some HD picture frame hanging brackets.

similar to these

http://image.dhgate.com/albu_225071605_00/1.0x0.jpg

I set one on an open rail groove to level the rifle. Then I do the plumb line method with a flashlight
View Quote
Never heard of the flashlight technique. Can you further explain this?
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 10:31:11 PM EDT
[#24]
I usually just use a bubble level.

On my RPR, I got a spuhr mount that has a bubble in the mount and has a tapered shim kit similar to the ariska kit.

It worked really well.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 1:40:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Sogan:

View Quote
Have not tried it, but....

Let's presume shining the flashlight through the scope might project the reticle on the wall where it's verticality could be assessed.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 4:31:03 AM EDT
[#26]
I use a bubble level on the rail and lock it into a vice and then use a plumb level to align the reticle. Been using that method for close to ten years and it's never failed me personally.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 11:37:12 PM EDT
[#27]
I use basically the same method, my plumb line is a tower two miles away.  The only time that can be a problem is if the top of the rail is not perpendicular to the center line of the bore.  I have seen an AR upper that was crooked, have heard of scope mounting holes on bolt actions not being at top dead center.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 12:53:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Defender3] [#28]

similar to these

View Quote
View Quote
Hang a plumb line.

Level the rifle.

Shine a light back through the eyepiece, adjust.

Link Posted: 7/31/2017 3:23:48 PM EDT
[#29]
^ Never seen that before. I like it!
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 3:26:24 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a Wheeler level-level-level kit, and I'm surprised at just how often it can be considerably off.

What I've mostly settled on is getting the *rifle* level, then looking through the scope (be it forwards or backwards) at a plumb bob.
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 9:39:13 PM EDT
[#31]
I just mounted a new 16x SS on Monday. I locked the rifle in a gun vice and used a bubble level then mounted the scope and used the same method with the bubble level and also sighted it at a near by building that I checked the corner with a 6' level to confirm it was square. Got it all mounted then used a laser site to bore site it in.
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 3:14:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By kingoftheroad:
I use the bubble tubes that I removed from an old level.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 1:15:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: boy-scout] [#33]
This. Just make sure you have enough space between your rail, and the bottom of the scope.

Amazon Product
  • The smaller sizes are locked by one screw
  • Parallels slide smoothly and can be easily adjusted

Or this

Scope leveler

Feeler gauge method works good as well.

Keep it simple. Don't over think/complicate. Bringing gravity into to equation is unnecessary.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 9:41:49 AM EDT
[#34]
View Quote
This is way Is how I do it. Perfect every time.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 3:39:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DaveS] [#35]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Defender3:

similar to these

Hang a plumb line.

Level the rifle.

Shine a light back through the eyepiece, adjust.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/52736/IMG-4877-216403.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/52736/IMG-4878-216404.jpg

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/52736/IMG-4880-216405.jpg
The Hard Part Is Trueing the Rifle

I like to start out with

From Their Site

And see what my tolerance stacking shows me [@ the 100yd line by running my elevation knob] from using:

A)  ArmaLite, Spikes, VLTOR uppers
B)  LaRue Mounts
C)  Scopes from manufacturers that are known to have the reticles level in the tube

Some Moar Leveling Info

And Even MOAR Info

BUTT!!! You would be surprised at what just $37.00 would do in your shooting universe.

Hey boy-scout, I going to scope out that Starrett Set.  Thank you.

Best to all.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 7:16:46 AM EDT
[#36]
1. You don't level the retcle, you level the elevation.

A canted reticle that tracks is better than a level reticle with the elevation mechanism than is canted. You need to level the gun, track on a vertical plumb line and watch as you dial elevation. No matter how level your reticle or scope body is, all that matters is the vertical tracking.

2. I use Arisaka scope leveler and Wheeler leveler to start. Track plumb line at 100 later.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 11:55:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By strat81:
View Quote
That all I ever do. I've even used a stack of 'field expedient' pocket change before. 
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 12:07:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pcsutton] [#38]
Originally Posted By boy-scout:
This. Just make sure you have enough space between your rail, and the bottom of the scope.

www.amazon.com/dp/B0006J4E5COr this

Scope leveler

Feeler gauge method works good as well.

Keep it simple. Don't over think/complicate. Bringing gravity into to equation is unnecessary.
View Quote
I've never seen a rifle with an integral rail that isn't dead nuts on. Come to think of it, I've never seen a bolt gun with the receiver pre-drilled for a rail be out of kilter either. 

I generally don't buy WalMart optics for my guns, so I've never seen a reticle that's canted in relation to the scope body. 

Aligning the flat surface on the bottom of the reticle housing to the top of the gun's rail is dead nuts aligned. A feeler gauge does the trick just fine.  
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 8:31:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Et2ss] [#39]

View Quote
Hang a plumb line near a white wall.  Set the rifle up facing the opposite direction 15' or so away from the wall.

Level the receiver rail. Shine a flashlight down the front of the scope (a sun shield helps immensely with this as the flashlight can lay in there).
You will see the reticle projected (albeit upside down) on the wall. Twist the scope until the reticle lines up with the plumb line.

Torque the ring screws, assuring they don't twist the reticle out of plumb.

Easy peasy

The feeler gauge method is quick and easy IF the reticle is plumb with the bottom of the scope AND your scope has flats on the bottom

The flashlight/plumb line method is universal, gravity doesn't lie
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:12:22 AM EDT
[#40]
View Quote
this
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top