Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2017 1:21:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SD307]
I have never felt the MBT , I currently have an RRA VARMIT 2STAGE 3.5# INSTALLED

will the Laure be enough of a step up to warrant the switch.

the best trigger I've ever felt is the ar gold triggers.  But I do like the RRA NM

thank you.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 2:44:04 PM EDT
[#1]
The larue MBT is probly just as good as Giselle SSA I used to have.

Scott
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:41:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By SD307:
I have never felt the MBT , I currently have an RRA VARMIT 2STAGE 3.5# INSTALLED

the best trigger I've ever felt is the ar gold triggers.  But I do like the RRA NM

thank you.
View Quote

I put JP spring kit on my RRA varmint and it helped it tremendously. Now I like my buddy's Laure MBT better, and he likes the RRA better. The Laure just seems to break a little cleaner. The RRA seems a bit spungy after I swapped springs but it breaks clean.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 4:12:35 PM EDT
[#3]
For my precision rifle I prefer the Geissele SSA-E. However, all my other rifles are using LT MBT's where I would've used to go with SSA's.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 9:48:46 PM EDT
[#4]
When you can get them for $99, there is no reason to get an SSA over the MBT.

The SSA-E is a nicer and lighter feeling trigger than the MBT, but it's hard to justify the cost difference. I've got 1 of each mentioned.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:46:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By alpha0815:
When you can get them for $99, there is no reason to get an SSA over the MBT.

The SSA-E is a nicer and lighter feeling trigger than the MBT, but it's hard to justify the cost difference. I've got 1 of each mentioned.
View Quote
This sums up my experience as well...2 SSAs, 2 SSA-E, and 4 MBT. All will vary somewhat from trigger to trigger and lower to lower. The MBTs had the widest variance with a couple gauging right with the SSAs and the other two on the light end closer to the SSA-Es. Either way, you win for $99 or $125.
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 10:54:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I have 4 MBT's.

One on my Larue and one of my 6.5cm.

They are great triggers and I highly recommend them.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 10:11:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Scotts556:
The larue MBT is probly just as good as Giselle SSA I used to have.

Scott
View Quote
Same here, sold my SSAs and went with all MBTs.  Every rifle I have now (except for my PSA truck rifle) has a MBT.  Consistent trigger and pull across the entire collection.

My first Larue rifle in 556 shipped with a SSA, before they made their own trigger, was my first MBT

Link Posted: 7/2/2017 10:14:56 PM EDT
[#8]
SSA-E is an excellent all around trigger, from plinking to precision shooting. If you want a dedicated short, light trigger, get the Geissele HSNM. But I would suggest an SSA-E. A trigger isn't a place to cheap out on.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 10:21:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jaqufrost] [#9]
MBT's are great. I use them in quite a few rifles. These days they are my go to general purpose, hunting and spr triggers.

I sold my SD-C and replaced it with another MBT. The SSA-E's have a lighter 2nd stage break than the MBT's. So I could see maybe going for an SSA-E/B-G2S-E/SD-E.

If you really like a light weight pull get a Geissele High Speed Match. I've got several and have them set for just over 2lb with the 2nd stage only taking .5lb.

I'm not buying anymore RRA triggers after their political shenanigans.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 10:39:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Using a well broken in RRA Varmint, you won't see a huge improvement in a MBT.  Both are good 2 stage triggers.  MBT will be more consistent, but you need to move to a lower weight adjustable trigger to see a huge improvement from a precision perspective.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 11:38:54 PM EDT
[#11]
I have it installed and ready to shoot now.

in comparison to my RRA varmit 3.5#

In dry fire it is very light the first stage is shorter & has a nearly unnoticeable bit of creep (I'm sure will vanish after a few boxes of ammo. )
the 2nd stage is very positive and breaks very clean. the reset is more solid than the RRA which does not assist in reset as much.

the most noticeable difference is the way the trigger itself feels under the finger tip. it seems smoother & more comfortable. than the RRA

to be honest the larue MBT is too light for a patrol gun IMO but itappears that it will do nicely in a recce style or precision style build.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 2:58:19 PM EDT
[#12]
I have it installed and ready to shoot now.

in comparison to my RRA varmit 3.5#

In dry fire it is very light the first stage is shorter & has a nearly unnoticeable bit of creep (I'm sure will vanish after a few boxes of ammo. )
the 2nd stage is very positive and breaks very clean. the reset is more solid than the RRA which does not assist in reset as much.

the most noticeable difference is the way the trigger itself feels under the finger tip. it seems smoother & more comfortable. than the RRA

to be honest the larue MBT is too light for a patrol gun IMO but itappears that it will do nicely in a recce style or precision style build.
View Quote
Mbt ships with two sets of springs.  The lighter set is what is installed.  The other heavier set ups the weight a bit.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:40:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By pajasonc:

Mbt ships with two sets of springs.  The lighter set is what is installed.  The other heavier set ups the weight a bit.
View Quote
I used the lighter trigger spring but this went into a 13lbs WOA paper puncher
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 12:21:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By pajasonc:

View Quote
Exactly. With the heavier spring, it's the perfect patrol rifle trigger. Nice thing about the MBT, you get to choose.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 12:28:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Before we had many options back in the day, the RRA 2-stage was very popular.

Big problem with it is that it would wear quickly on the sear surfaces, which was the main complaint among Hi Power shooters.

KAC and ArmaLite Inc. had 2-stage triggers too, with the same issues.

Geissele addressed and fixed those issues with the SSA, using harder surfaces that hold tolerance for a long time.

The MBT also uses harder surfaces, but is priced so competitively, they are hard to ignore now.

I have RRA, Geissele, JP single stage, and MBT now.  Have used most of the others, including Elftmann, Timney, Jard, and others I've buried somewhere in the memory banks.

For 2-stage, it's hard to not avoid the MBT for the money.  I just put one in my Lilja 318 Grendel, which was already cutting 10rd ragged holes at 100yds with a rack trigger I polished.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 10:31:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:
Before we had many options back in the day, the RRA 2-stage was very popular.

Big problem with it is that it would wear quickly on the sear surfaces, which was the main complaint among Hi Power shooters.

KAC and ArmaLite Inc. had 2-stage triggers too, with the same issues.

Geissele addressed and fixed those issues with the SSA, using harder surfaces that hold tolerance for a long time.

The MBT also uses harder surfaces, but is priced so competitively, they are hard to ignore now.

I have RRA, Geissele, JP single stage, and MBT now.  Have used most of the others, including Elftmann, Timney, Jard, and others I've buried somewhere in the memory banks.

For 2-stage, it's hard to not avoid the MBT for the money.  I just put one in my Lilja 318 Grendel, which was already cutting 10rd ragged holes at 100yds with a rack trigger I polished.
View Quote
LRRP what's your opinion of the JP single stage?  IMHO, it's one of the best single stage AR triggers available, but unless you have a JP-built rifle, it is not very common to see folks running it.  Many use JP springs in their triggers, which help quite a bit, but not the single stage trigger.  I finally had an opportunity to mess with an AR Gold trigger (seems to be extremely popular on the forums).  It had a great break to it, reset was excellent, but my only complaint was that the width of the shoe felt thin.  Small thing to bitch about, but that's my only complaint with regards to it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 10:47:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ArpaioFan] [#17]
I have an SSA-E and an MBT.  The MBT is lighter and easier to shoot accurately.

I like the MBT better.  There I said it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 2:58:08 PM EDT
[#18]
I think Larue used to offer gold AR triggers in their rifles. They came out with the MBT's a few years ago. All 4 of my rifles have them. Crisp as an be and break so-so nice!
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 3:05:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Berger24:
I think Larue used to offer gold AR triggers in their rifles. They came out with the MBT's a few years ago. All 4 of my rifles have them. Crisp as an be and break so-so nice!
View Quote
They offered Geissele's, then AR Gold's and now put their own MBT's in them.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 6:07:55 PM EDT
[#20]
The MBT is currently on sale for $99 on LaRue's site.  The RRA 2 stage was my budget go to until I purchased an MBT.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 10:33:39 PM EDT
[#21]
I have a MBT in my coyote gun...  A it's a very good trigger...  And for $99.00??!!  Is a helluva deal.

(Yep there's a "but"...)

BUT....  

For a dedicated precision rifle, I wanted a two stage that I can adjust to my personal preference.  Other than springs, you don't have
much adjustment in the MBT...

I'd recommend either the Geissele DMR (in my .308) or the HS National Match (in my 6.5CM) triggers.
Link Posted: 9/5/2017 8:50:34 PM EDT
[#22]

thank you.
View Quote
The RRA is a super long pull in comparison.

MBT is working great for some

https://www.ar15.com/forums/industry/Official-260-Thread-Pics-Range-Loads-1000y-Pg10-Index-Up/219-282115/&page=40
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 1:28:47 PM EDT
[#23]
My vote is for the AR gold flat faced trigger. Larue triggers are good for the $99 price tag but that AR gold is sweet! Buy both!
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:20:54 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:21:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LaRue_Tactical] [#25]
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:22:27 PM EDT
[#26]
I liked the feel of my MBT a bit better than the SSA-E I tried especially when it comes to the nice wide trigger shoe. Though if I look the pepsi challenge and they both had the same trigger shoe, I'd probably have a tough time picking the two apart.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:19:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By FALex:

LRRP what's your opinion of the JP single stage?  IMHO, it's one of the best single stage AR triggers available, but unless you have a JP-built rifle, it is not very common to see folks running it.  Many use JP springs in their triggers, which help quite a bit, but not the single stage trigger.  I finally had an opportunity to mess with an AR Gold trigger (seems to be extremely popular on the forums).  It had a great break to it, reset was excellent, but my only complaint was that the width of the shoe felt thin.  Small thing to bitch about, but that's my only complaint with regards to it.
View Quote
I've got a JP single stage, G SSA, Larue MBT, and a CMC 3.5lb flat.

The JP is the best of the bunch IMHO.

Of the rest I like the Larue best.  For $99 the Larue is a no-brainer but I will stick with a single stage for 3-gun.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 11:12:05 PM EDT
[#28]
where are you guys getting this for 99 dollars excuse my ignorance but i see them for 125
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 11:38:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By AksMakeMeHappy:
where are you guys getting this for 99 dollars excuse my ignorance but i see them for 125
View Quote
Larue has $99 sales most holidays. Just wait for black Friday and it will probably be $99.

Still a great trigger at $125.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 4:09:12 AM EDT
[#30]
I like the wide trigger shoe
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 9:11:32 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 9:24:27 AM EDT
[#32]
I prefer the MBT, I sold my G triggers and put mbt’s in all my rifles.

I prefer the trigger face on the LaRue, the break was on par with the ssa-e to me.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 4:01:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DaveS] [#33]
I like the MBTs moar than the SSAs.

I have over a 1/2 dozen of each in various calibers in various small/large frame ARs.

I only do one large frame AR base:  ARMALITE, for 6 & 6.5CM, and my pure love of life .308WIN.

Mostly Spike's lowers with VLTOR MUR-1A uppers for everything 5.56, 6.8mm x 43mm, 375 & 458 SOCOM yabadabado.

Didn't ask for no Grendal.  I'm a Dapper Dan man.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 8:46:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Just got another MBT-2S today, as well as a RAT stock from another forum member.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 9:09:04 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 10:20:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Got an MBT (with tac chassis) on the EE, it’s going into my AP AR10 build. I like it and the price was right. I’ll shoot it a bit and if I don’t like it, I’ll swap it with the SSA in my AP AR15 and rock n roll. Either way the MBT is here to stay.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 10:48:29 PM EDT
[#37]
I'd put it in a "rifle".
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 12:58:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wile_coyote] [#38]
I don't see why not.  I've got mine installed in my Grendel to try out this weekend

If it works well for me,  then I'll is it as a standard in my precision rifles.  If not,  I'll happily put it in my carbine and keep it.

Bummer part is I still need a QD LaRue mount for my ACOG and having used their scope mounts on my precision rifles and now possibly standardizing on their triggers, it makes projects I thought were done not...

ETA: I stand corrected,  after trying one.... not in my precision rifles. Good trigger,  but there are better.
Link Posted: 12/13/2017 8:38:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bluezerosix] [#39]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top