Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2016 4:41:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LRRPF52]
130gr ELD Match loaded in .260 Remington

This is great news for those shooting .260 Rem.  Crazy that it takes Hornady to support Remington's cartridge, which they have totally dropped the ball on.

Even crazier since Hornady competes with .260 Remington with the 6.5 Creedmoor.

They have a mistake on the page though, as the 123gr ELD data is listed at the bottom, not the 130gr ELD, which has a much higher BC.

130gr ELD Match .554 / .279
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 4:51:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice nice nice. Can't wait to get my paws on some!
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 6:09:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:

This is great news for those shooting .260 Rem.  Crazy that it takes Hornady to support Remington's cartridge, which they have totally dropped the ball on.

They have a mistake on the page though, as the 123gr ELD data is listed at the bottom, not the 130gr ELD, which has a much higher BC.

View Quote

And a 123gr ELD Match 6.5Grendel load--did you see that LRRP?
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 6:16:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Any experience with how the ELD Match works as a hunting bullet?
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 6:28:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By CastorTroy:
Any experience with how the ELD Match works as a hunting bullet?
View Quote

I imagine exactly like the Amax--explosive(ish) if at high velocity, but probably instant shock/trauma/liquification if it's behind the shoulder.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 7:20:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: roamin] [#5]
I noticed they have a new 6mm creedmoor 108 ELD as well. G1's .536 listed at 2960fps out of a 24".

I also heard rumors of a 147grn for 6.5CM

http://m.hornady.com/store/6mm-Creedmoor-108-gr-ELD-Match/
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 8:58:02 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got mixed emotions on the 260 loading. I want Remington to feel as much pain as possible for not pursuing the round. Glad 260 fans have a great option now.
Link Posted: 10/26/2016 9:41:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By the444shooter:

View Quote

And a 123gr ELD Match 6.5Grendel load--did you see that LRRP?
View Quote

Yes I did of course.  Posted in Variants.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:16:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:
I've got mixed emotions on the 260 loading. I want Remington to feel as much pain as possible for not pursuing the round. Glad 260 fans have a great option now.
View Quote

I find cartridge history fascinating.  

This is different generations, but it is interesting Remington made the right decisions with the 243 (1955) and it became much more successful than the arguably superior 6mm Winchester.  Jump forward four plus decades and Remington has dropped the ball on the 260 (1997).  

For those not familiar, the credit given for the 243 winning out over the 6mm is Remington offered tighter twist rates in their rifles chambered in 243 than Winchester did in their rifles chambered in 6mm.  

As far as the 260, I think a lot of its lackluster commercial success lies in avid hunters not realizing the superior performance of the round and continuing to stick with the traditional hunting rounds.  I have had two friends ask me in the past 2 years what all around caliber to buy and I told them either 6.5 CM or 260 Rem and then they both bought 270's.  
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:30:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Ironmaker:

This is different generations, but it is interesting Remington made the right decisions with the 243 (1955) and it became much more successful than the arguably superior 6mm Winchester.  Jump forward four plus decades and Remington has dropped the ball on the 260 (1997).  

For those not familiar, the credit given for the 243 winning out over the 6mm is Remington offered tighter twist rates in their rifles chambered in 243 than Winchester did in their rifles chambered in 6mm.  

As far as the 260, I think a lot of its lackluster commercial success lies in avid hunters not realizing the superior performance of the round and continuing to stick with the traditional hunting rounds.  I have had two friends ask me in the past 2 years what all around caliber to buy and I told them either 6.5 CM or 260 Rem and then they both bought 270's.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Pretty spot on evaluation from my understanding (243) and experience (260)--Remington really didn't know what they had with that round, and nobody could be bothered to listen to the people that had the experience/knowledge about the round.  I was one in that camp--"Why the F would you want that caliber when you could have a 7mm-08" or something to that effect.  

Remington finally came around last year with their SPS .260 with a 1:8 twist, and this year with the 5R, but I believe it's too little too late in the scheme of things with the 6.5CM being king dingaling right now--Lots of rifle offerings and significantly more quality, high BC ammo offerings.  

We'll see if the .260 can enjoy a larger resurgence now that there's another ammo option--I'd suspect that we'll see a 143gr at some point for the guns in 1:8 twist.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 12:01:06 PM EDT
[#10]
The interesting thing for me to watch is Hornady's final validation of the 30 TC in a roundabout way.

The 30 TC necked down to 6.5mm is the 6.5 Creedmoor.

Guys had been wild-catting the 6.5-08, .264 Panther cartridges for many years.  Remington finally SAAMI'd it with the .260 Remington, but didn't support the cartridge with many factory rifles and target ammunition, even though they had the full infrastructure to really push it mainstream.

Performance has driven the demand and popularity aside from Remington, and I prefer companies with better brass and loading standards to embrace it anyway.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 2:52:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Agreed which is why I'm not sure about hornady loading 260. Don't want Remington thinking they finally got it right
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 8:19:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Agreed which is why I'm not sure about hornady loading 260. Don't want Remington thinking they finally got it right
View Quote

I just want the option of ordering factory ammo for the .260 Rem that is quality and won't cost insane money.
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 8:44:20 PM EDT
[#13]

I just want the option of ordering factory ammo for the .260 Rem that is quality and won't cost insane money.
View All Quotes

I see that the 142 FGMM appears to have come down in price. Do you have to run a lighter round in yours?
Link Posted: 10/27/2016 10:19:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By roamin:

I see that the 142 FGMM appears to have come down in price. Do you have to run a lighter round in yours?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By roamin:

I get really good results with 130gr VLD at 2800fps.

140s and 142gr SMK go maybe 2700 pushing it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 3:31:40 PM EDT
[#15]

View All Quotes

You largely swapped Remington and Winchester lol. .243 Winchester became popular.
6mm or .244 Remington (6mm Rem after they sped up the rifling) didn't. .244 was 1:12. 6mm was 1:9. Never seen one in person. Meanwhile every other youth hunter around here has a .243 Winchester rifle, and likely 1:10.
Nothing like this happened with the .260 Rem.. because not much at all has happened with the .260 Rem, that Remington was a part of anyway. I think they might wake up soon. Seems like 6.5mm rounds are gaining ground like never before in the US. I mean the .308 Win was first necked down to a 6.5 round back in the 50's. The concept is nothing new, but people actually buying in to it would be.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 3:46:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By DarkDrifter:

You largely swapped Remington and Winchester lol. .243 Winchester became popular.
6mm or .244 Remington (6mm Rem after they sped up the rifling) didn't. .244 was 1:12. 6mm was 1:9. Never seen one in person. Meanwhile every other youth hunter around here has a .243 Winchester rifle, and likely 1:10.
Nothing like this happened with the .260 Rem.. because not much at all has happened with the .260 Rem, that Remington was a part of anyway. I think they might wake up soon. Seems like 6.5mm rounds are gaining ground like never before in the US. I mean the .308 Win was first necked down to a 6.5 round back in the 50's. The concept is nothing new, but people actually buying in to it would be.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DarkDrifter:

Crap, you're right, I screwed that up.
Link Posted: 11/2/2016 8:12:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Given Remington's track record with ammunition, I'd be totally fine with them leaving .260 Rem alone.
Link Posted: 11/3/2016 8:35:43 AM EDT
[#18]
I've been purchasing the BERGER .264 / 6.5MM 130 GR AR HYBRID TACTICAL
for my 6.5CM build.

Just haven't had time to hunt for nodes, yet.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 1:04:48 AM EDT
[#19]
if they could get the price of .260 the same as 6.5cm..   that would take away the thing .260 has against it..   I have never figured out why some one would pay so much more for a round that is like 50fps faster..  if they are not reloading..
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 2:25:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JJREA] [#20]
Remington's ammo is always more expensive than the competitors.  Seems like.  I do get good results with their 168 grain match in my M1A though.  I used to mostly buy their ammo for hunting and it always seemed accurate.  

Anyways.....  I don't know though, all the Big three's stuff can be overly expensive depending on where you get it.  Hornady typically seems a bit more reasonable.  Generally speaking.

That was mostly off topic in regards to these new loads.  So I apologize.  I think the new loads for 6.5 are a really good idea.  I'm kind of watching to see how prevalent they become. I saw some 6.5 creedmore on the shelves at Fleet Farm.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 11:33:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Berger24] [#21]
I just grabbed up  two cases from Outdoorlimited.com. They have Hornady .260 ELD Match for $228.50 a case $17 to ship and Prime has cases for $315 for 260 and $250 for their 6.5 creed. I'd say $245 shipped a case for .260 Rem for match is a smoking deal from outdoorlimited right now.

.260 has a slight advantage over 6.5 creed ...around 20.5" at 1465 yds.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top