Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/25/2016 10:57:44 PM EDT
Looking to get one of these three 7.62 rifles but not sure which one would be best for me. Would be used as a battle rifle/DMR role and will be shot suppressed. Weight isnt a huge issue for me, more about reliability when suppressed.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 2:45:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By jeffhsu95:
Looking to get one of these three 7.62 rifles but not sure which one would be best for me. Would be used as a battle rifle/DMR role and will be shot suppressed. Weight isnt a huge issue for me, more about reliability when suppressed.
View Quote

Larue obr. Purpose built to be a precision rifle. Lots of good stuff on the interweb other than wait times. if was me that's what I'd go with.
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 11:22:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I was seriously considering a SCAR 17 but for the price of a used one, I can get a made to order JP Enterprises AR with an 18" barrel.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 11:28:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Is there a reason why you're not co side ring the LaRue Predatobr? I'd go that one if I were you.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 2:55:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UnknownPatriot] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By spizike9:
Is there a reason why you're not co side ring the LaRue Predatobr? I'd go that one if I were you.
View Quote

This. ^^^^^^^

tOBR is OBR plus end user serviceable / easy barrel length change (calibers like 6.5 .260 300black to come)

tOBR does not have 20moa rail though like OBR

Even if packing it down to a tiny roll bag isn't a concern it's a feature you'll find yourself using. I promise.

ETA; I really enjoy shooting my friends Scar. I just hate that you can't use the reliable and inexpensive magpul m110 mags like every other 308 I own. Converting it isn't worth it in my mind either.
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 11:08:49 PM EDT
[#5]
If I were in your shoes, I'd go with the JP-LRP 07.  

I have shot an OBR but it was only OBR on the outside.  The guts were JP.

I was really close to buying a SCAR 17 but the non compatibility of SR25-patterned mags and polymer receiver made me re-think my decision.  Then you come to discover that the HANDL Defense lower (allows you to use SR25 mags) is over 400.00 and replacing the trigger is over 300.00.  So you spend 2700.00 on this rifle that you then need to turn around and dump another 7-800.00 on it just to get it to a point where you may want it.

I ended up going with a PWS Mk216 which is a piston system (similar, though not identical to SCAR's system).  It came with a decent trigger (still needs Geiselle, but what AR doesn't?) but you can use SR25 patterned mags, has the ergos I'm used to with an AR, and it is only 10oz heavier than the SCAR 17.

Definitely not trying to talk you into the PWS, just informing you of issues I considered when looking at the SCAR.

I don't know what the HK's offer other than the name...you pay that much and they come with some of the worst triggers that you could get with most any other factory rigs.  Then again, I've never been an H&K fan, so I could be biased.  

Granted your decisions, and what I just chewed up above, I'd say go with the OBR.  I would have owned a couple by now, only thing holding me back on them are the quad rails and the inability to change them.  Unless I am completely wrong regarding the OBR's, but that's what I found when researching them.  Please do correct me if I am wrong.  I am just way too used to these "slimmer" rails at this point.  I don't attach anything but bipeds on there anyhow.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 7:13:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By FALex:

I was really close to buying a SCAR 17 but the non compatibility of SR25-patterned mags and polymer receiver made me re-think my decision.  Then you come to discover that the HANDL Defense lower (allows you to use SR25 mags) is over 400.00 and replacing the trigger is over 300.00.  So you spend 2700.00 on this rifle that you then need to turn around and dump another 7-800.00 on it just to get it to a point where you may want it.

I ended up going with a PWS Mk216 which is a piston system (similar, though not identical to SCAR's system).  It came with a decent trigger (still needs Geiselle, but what AR doesn't?) but you can use SR25 patterned mags, has the ergos I'm used to with an AR, and it is only 10oz heavier than the SCAR 17.

Definitely not trying to talk you into the PWS, just informing you of issues I considered when looking at the SCAR.

I don't know what the HK's offer other than the name...you pay that much and they come with some of the worst triggers that you could get with most any other factory rigs.  Then again, I've never been an H&K fan, so I could be biased.  

Granted your decisions, and what I just chewed up above, I'd say go with the OBR.  I would have owned a couple by now, only thing holding me back on them are the quad rails and the inability to change them.  Unless I am completely wrong regarding the OBR's, but that's what I found when researching them.  Please do correct me if I am wrong.  I am just way too used to these "slimmer" rails at this point.  I don't attach anything but bipeds on there anyhow.

You're right concerning the hand guard. The tOBR has a pretty slim handguard though. I think you'd like it. Especially with the grip covers.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:22:19 AM EDT
[#7]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

You're right concerning the hand guard. The tOBR has a pretty slim handguard though. I think you'd like it. Especially with the grip covers.

So the tOBR's handguard is slimmer than the actual OBR's handguard, the barrel diameter is less on the tOBR too?  

There's no mistaking that LT makes great stuff.  I get the point of the OBR's and I know that they have an outstanding reputation for returning to zero (or very very close to it), after you have taken the barrel off and put it back on the rifle, which says a whole hell of a lot.  I don't know anyone with the tOBR, but might look in that direction.  

Anyhow, if anyone from LT is reading this post, do you folks have any plans to make different handguards on these particular rifles, or is that a low/no priority issue?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 2:16:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Dude, I love SCARs. Get a LaRue PredatOBR. END OF TOPIC.

Wait times aren't too bad. Call them and ask they will tell you up front and you don't pay till it ships.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 4:16:57 PM EDT
[#9]
...or, wait and go SCAR MK20.

I went the 17 route last year (with many of your same intentions OP) and don't regret it.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 12:57:12 AM EDT
[#10]

So the tOBR's handguard is slimmer than the actual OBR's handguard, the barrel diameter is less on the tOBR too?  

There's no mistaking that LT makes great stuff.  I get the point of the OBR's and I know that they have an outstanding reputation for returning to zero (or very very close to it), after you have taken the barrel off and put it back on the rifle, which says a whole hell of a lot.  I don't know anyone with the tOBR, but might look in that direction.  

Anyhow, if anyone from LT is reading this post, do you folks have any plans to make different handguards on these particular rifles, or is that a low/no priority issue?

Thanks.
View All Quotes

Thanks.

I wouldn't wait on a new hand guard from LaRue. I would imagine they will eventually some day. Truthfully the hand guard on the PredataAR and PredatOBR feel very nice in your hand. I think you'd really like it.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:34:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sea2summit] [#11]

Thanks.
View All Quotes

Thanks.

No the handguard on the tOBR is thicker because of the mounting system for the grip panels. They both run the same profile barrels however yet on the 16" models the tOBR is almost half a pound lighter because of the cut of the handguard and lack of the 20MOA rail. There are different length handguards, one for the 14.5" and one for the 16"-20" tOBRS as well...still waiting on the SBR lengths but not for 7.62
Link Posted: 2/28/2016 11:44:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/7/2016 7:59:20 PM EDT
[#13]
if weight is not an issue, I would go for the MR762.

You asked about reliability, particularly running suppressed.  I've run my MR762 with a 762 AAC can, and it's been good.  It's a good choice for DMR.
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 12:51:56 PM EDT
[#14]
OBR or a JP.

I have owned both and still own the OBR.

Below is five shots at 425 yards with issue 118LR ammo.

Link Posted: 3/8/2016 2:31:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cms81586] [#15]
It's really all in what you want.  I wanted a "do it all" precision/battle/DMR rifle.  Had the legacy rifles... FAL, M1A and two HK-91's before I made that decision.  

Wasn't impressed with the FAL.  The M1A gave lackluster accuracy (it was a Supermatch too). Love the G3 but wanted something "better" in terms of the ability to mount optics.  Bought a KAC SR-25 EMC.  Took a while but I set it up how I wanted it and the end result was this...

Loved the setup but it was front heavy and a little ammo sensitive (didn't like weak stuff like ZQI).  It shot 178 gr BTHP's like nobodies business (3/4 MOA) but I wanted something lighter.  I came across a business opportunity which required I liquidate some of the collection to come up with quick cash...so it went.  Fast forward a bit and I decided to try the SCAR.  Ended up with this...

Now granted...I discovered I was looking for more of a battle rifle than a precision rifle.  I have a TRG-22 and TRG-42 to fill that "precision" role if I want to shoot itty bitty little bugeye groups.  What I finally decided was that an 1-1.5 MOA rifle was perfectly capable of doing what I wanted a 16" .308 to do.  The SCAR-17 shoots 1-1.5 MOA for me now with my canned handload I typically use for the TRG-22...and that's with fighting the stock trigger.  I believe with a Geissele trigger that will shrink a bit down to 1MOA on average.  Plenty accurate enough for banging steel out to 800 yds or so.  That said, it's typically topped with an ACOG and shot like a carbine.  I have no reservations in doing so, and it's a lot less gassy than the EMC was with its lack of an adjustable gas system.  I have both the stock and HANDL Defense lowers.  I actually prefer the SCAR magazines, so mainly stick with the factory lower.  I feel that the SCAR is pretty well thought out and enjoy reading the Henderson Defense reviews on firearms longevity.  The SCAR has done very well for them through several barrel replacements.  It's probably the best 7.62 battle rifle on the market today.  It does pretty well as a "DMR" too with the only negatives being it will start to string if you are doing some high volume shooting due to the light barrel profile, and the lousy stock trigger which most definitely needs replaced with a Geissele unit.

As for your choices, I'd rule out the HK.  It's expensive for what it is.  If anything, replace that consideration with the LMT MWS (if you're leaning more towards precision than battle rifle).  The MWS is also front heavy but you can have barrels reprofiled, and they're available a price quite a bit lower than the Larue.  

The Larue is a good choice if you can find one or are willing to wait.  I don't have anything bad to say about them.  Again...do you want a familiar AR and are you more focused on precision?

Try them all if you can.  I was lucky and made money or broke even on every rifle I mentioned.  I got a good deal on the SCAR and I'm happy with it.  I'll try another AR in the future...possibly a quick change barrel Larue or an MWS if they can ever unscrew their 6.5CM barrels.

Link Posted: 3/8/2016 4:34:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Hoser:
OBR or a JP.

<a href="http://s890.photobucket.com/user/puebloshooter/media/OBR/DSC02514.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac105/puebloshooter/OBR/DSC02514.jpg</a>
View Quote

How did you come by the target?
Link Posted: 3/8/2016 9:15:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UnknownPatriot] [#17]
Originally Posted By sea2summit:

View All Quotes
OBR or a JP.

<a href="http://s890.photobucket.com/user/puebloshooter/media/OBR/DSC02514.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i890.photobucket.com/albums/ac105/puebloshooter/OBR/DSC02514.jpg</a>

pretty sure it involved violence and a slick get away
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 2:21:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the advice you guys, I ended up getting an OBR and a SCAR 17. However I am thinking of selling or trading the OBR away. Its a great rifle but I love how lightweight the SCAR. I also have an AI AW to fill in the precision role too so that wont be a problem.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 1:13:51 PM EDT
[#19]
I like the SCAR-17 a lot, however, the 1/12" twist really limits your effective range with it.

It would really benefit from a 10" twist or better.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 1:17:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:
I like the SCAR-17 a lot, however, the 1/12" twist really limits your effective range with it.

View Quote

Not necessarily. The only projectile it really limits you from using is 178's.  I never use anything heavier than that in a .308 anyways, and mine shoots 175SMK's fine.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 1:48:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By cms81586:

Not necessarily. The only projectile it really limits you from using is 178's.  I never use anything heavier than that in a .308 anyways, and mine shoots 175SMK's fine.
View All Quotes

Funny.  I've watched several SCAR-17's come through my courses.

Even at 6600ft elevation, it doesn't keep the 155gr AMAX stabilized well past 700-800yds.  Within that range, it's a solid hitter with exceptional accuracy in some of the guns.

Spin stability is in its favor at higher altitude, and the 12" twist just doesn't seem to cut the mustard past 7 or 800.  It seems to do well with 168's out to 800 in low wind too.

They really should make it in a 10" twist or even tighter.  It's a great-handling little blaster.  I do prefer it with the Geissele and KDG handguard.

I've shot it stock with an Elcan out to 600yds, with very disciplined trigger control, and it was a waste of ammo.  Had maybe 2/10 hits on a normally easy 18" plate, but that was with garbage ZQI as well.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 2:10:54 PM EDT
[#22]

Even at 6600ft elevation, it doesn't keep the 155gr AMAX stabilized well past 700-800yds.  Within that range, it's a solid hitter with exceptional accuracy in some of the guns.

Spin stability is in its favor at higher altitude, and the 12" twist just doesn't seem to cut the mustard past 7 or 800.  It seems to do well with 168's out to 800 in low wind too.

They really should make it in a 10" twist or even tighter.  It's a great-handling little blaster.  I do prefer it with the Geissele and KDG handguard.

I've shot it stock with an Elcan out to 600yds, with very disciplined trigger control, and it was a waste of ammo.  Had maybe 2/10 hits on a normally easy 18" plate, but that was with garbage ZQI as well.
View All Quotes

ZQI is 4 moa ammo at best.  That's through a TRG that regularly shoots .5-.75 MOA.  Every rifle is different.  I've tried 155 Palma's, 168 SMK's, 175 SMK's, and 178 BTHP's as well as the AMAX's.  All shoot very well with the exception of the 178's.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 4:56:21 PM EDT
[#23]
How far have you shot the SCAR-17, and what kind of hit probability and what target size, wind conditions, etc.?
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 7:30:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Out to 700 at the local range so far. Can't go check targets for group size but a 90% hit ratio would be a good estimate. The other 10% can be attributed to the stock trigger and my shooting.  That's on a full size IPSC torso. I have an 18" gong I'm going to take out to southern NM on BLM land and put it through its paces out to around 800-1000 where I can actually record group sizes.
Link Posted: 3/9/2016 8:06:01 PM EDT
[#25]

View All Quotes
OBR or a JP.

They "pop up" for sale here or there.
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 4:16:58 AM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for the advice you guys, I ended up getting an OBR and a SCAR 17. However I am thinking of selling or trading the OBR away. Its a great rifle but I love how lightweight the SCAR. I also have an AI AW to fill in the precision role too so that wont be a problem.
View Quote

Which OBR barrel length did you get?
Link Posted: 3/11/2016 4:52:10 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

Uncle Sam owns lots of them and I work for Uncle Sam.
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 2:00:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sea2summit] [#28]

View All Quotes

So you can use .gov property, my tax dollars paid for, for personal use or are you using personal weapons for .gov use?
Link Posted: 3/12/2016 6:56:33 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By a300fe:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By a300fe:

I got the 16" OBR
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 8:35:39 AM EDT
[#30]
So you can use .gov property, my tax dollars paid for, for personal use or are you using personal weapons for .gov use?
View Quote

You should make fewer assumptions.
Link Posted: 3/13/2016 1:55:47 PM EDT
[#31]

View All Quotes

Not at all man, just hoping it's the former and you'll name the agency so I can drop an app
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 1:05:02 AM EDT
[#32]
I have all three now and looking only to keep one, it's a toss up....Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The Hk has a timney in it,  the 17 has the Giselle, and the Larue, well let's just say it's tighter than any Ar I've broken open with a super SMOOTH action.

I'm pretty stuck right now and probably going to post 1 maybe 2.  What do y'all think?

There all 3 AWESOME!!!!  But I can only carry 1
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 8:53:58 PM EDT
[#33]
KAC SR-25.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 12:09:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Those are nice, Not to get in a pissing match but all 3 are Way more reliable than Any SR-25 I've handled.  They are nice though.  I've had a couple but nothing worse than paying $ and having to trouble shoot on the range.  I've heard the newer ones are a lot better.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 9:30:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Dude, that little 14.5" PredatOBR is sick.  How does it handle?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 10:38:58 PM EDT
[#36]

View Quote
That escalated quickly.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 1:08:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jencountry] [#37]
It's solid, and light.  First time out I Ran a few drills and was banging steel like nothing with the comp M4.   I like it a lot.  Haven't really played with the 20 inch barrel and Mr10 yet.  It was my vision of a bugout setup .  14.5 w/ comp m4 for running and gunning , and having the 20 inch barrel, bipod, and USO in my pack for longer work.  Honestly the 14.5 will get it done with Federal 175 Bth either way.    I thought about running the USO and an RMR  like I do on the Scar but I like the Modular setup and it's light and fast with the Comp M4.

I tried out federal 175 BTHP, FN 147 surplus, SA 146 battlepacks, hornady 150, federal WB, federal fusion 150, and black hills 168.  The Larue spit them all out and asked for more no issues.

Of course so did the HK and Scar...but that's required out the box reliability with those ;).
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 5:00:43 PM EDT
[#38]
I happen to own all three. If I could choose just one for the role you describe, battle rifle/DMR, I would take the Scar 17s.
The OBR fits more into the SASS category than battle rifle to me.  The HK fits into the, I got a good deal on a MR762 so I bought one, category.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 5:43:04 PM EDT
[#39]
I can't speak about the others, but I have a 2011 built OBR and it has been 100% reliable (though I don't shoot suppressed), takes Pmags, and is a 1/2 MOA gun if I'm having a good day.  I'll never get rid of it.  If weight isn't an issue for you the OBR a battle/DMR for sure.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 5:51:53 PM EDT
[#40]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top