Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 22
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 1:31:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Swanson405:
Happen to know where any of those 129gr ablrs are in stock at? My googlefu must be weak because I cant find them...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Swanson405:
Originally Posted By LRRPF52:
The most practical, high-BC load for SBRs in 6.5 Grendel is the 129gr Nosler Accubond Long Range at .553 G1 Litz (1300fps expansion) , as well as the 130gr Federal Gold Medal Match Berger Hybrid OTM (TGT bullet).

For hand-loaders, you can also go with the 130gr Hornady ELD-M, which doubles as a great target and hunting bullet.

In the 123gr class, the Lapua Scenar is highest (TGT), then the 123gr SMK (TGT), then 123gr ELD-M (dual-use).

129gr SST is higher at .497 G1 IIRC, not .485 per Hornady.

A Grendel SBR with the 129gr ABLR combo is the package to beat in the AR15, when looking at compactness, hit probability, retained energy, and expansion.  Nothing comes even close to it that has factory ammo and double stack ability.
Happen to know where any of those 129gr ablrs are in stock at? My googlefu must be weak because I cant find them...
I have looked all over for them online and came up blank. I am sure they are out there but if they are I had no luck when I looked last.   I usually pick up 1 or 2 boxes everytime I am passing by a sportsmans warehouse. Sad thing they never have any Grendel loadings but every other caliber to include 6.8, 300blk 6.5 crredmoor and .260 but no grendel ammo.

I currently have 800 of the 129 Noslers to reload.  I have to stock up much more  though as the idiots in Sacramento passed a law for backgrounds to buy load ammo.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 11:05:11 PM EDT
[#2]
The past several times I've gone to Sportsman's, they've had 129gr ABLR.

A practical substitute for it would be the 130gr ELD-M.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 11:17:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Third Generation Shooting Supply has some but they're kind of pricey.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 8:51:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By maxxmojo:
Third Generation Shooting Supply has some but they're kind of pricey.
View Quote
Thanks, bit pricey but more than likely will be ordering some to try them out.

I unfortunately dont have a sportsmans warehouse anywhere near me, we have a Mi place thats called Jays that actually stocks Hornady Black and SST for the grendel and has a ton of bullet options, but didnt have any of the ablrs in stock.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 9:35:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I was close to jumping on the 6.5 bandwagon, until I saw the price of brass.

yikes

http://www.midwayusa.com/65-grendel/br?cid=10206

any cheaper supplies for 6.5G brass ?

Link Posted: 6/15/2017 10:55:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Derek45:

yikes

View Quote
Buy the Hornady ammo and reload that brass.

FWIW IMAO: Do not try to reload any of the large primer, PPU brass ( I think Federal is using this also).  I had head separation problems with the first reload of once fired brass.  Has a noticeable line/bump after first use.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:39:43 AM EDT
[#7]

View Quote
Projectiles or loaded rounds?
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 4:24:46 PM EDT
[#8]

yikes

any cheaper supplies for 6.5G brass ?.
View Quote
Guess how many pieces of Hornady brass I have lost over the past 7 years?

None that I can recall.  

Lapua brass lasts even longer.  Guys that have been shooting Grendel since the mid-2000s have been getting 20+ loads per piece.

Since working pressure is so low, brass lasts longer than most people will ever know.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 4:26:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By ricomnc:

FWIW IMAO: Do not try to reload any of the large primer, PPU brass ( I think Federal is using this also).  I had head separation problems with the first reload of once fired brass.  Has a noticeable line/bump after first use.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ricomnc:

yikes

PPU brass has been recalled.  It was really soft, headspace started getting out of spec of something, primer pockets loose right off the bat.

I never messed with it since I have so much Lapua and Hornady brass.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 4:26:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Grendelsbane:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Grendelsbane:

Tips
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 7:12:08 PM EDT
[#11]

yikes

View Quote
I just picked up 200 new lapua cases at around 84.00 dollars per 100, which to me is a great price. Kinda wish I had ponied up and got 500 total but I already had another couple hundred of them.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:06:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Best buy on 6.5 Grendel brass I've seen recently is Midsouth Shooters Supply, roughly $.50 each.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item/0015386283b100/6half-grendel-unprimed-rifle-brass-100-count

My Daughter bought me some Lapua 6.5 Grendel brass last year for Christmas on sale from Brownell's.   There are some sales on 6.5 Grendel brass to be found but you'd better act quick as it disappears fast.

I have gotten some Hornady 6.5 Grendel ELD-M factory ammo for around $18.00 for 20 rounds.  This is good ammo and is really one of the best ways to get Hornady brass.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 8:10:50 PM EDT
[#13]
All these Grendel posts made me jump on the band wagon too

My spare parts bin gun is finally built so I can shoot it over the 4th.

Heart of the gun is a Jp Enterprises 18" lightweight barrel and matching bolt.

Pick up the 3x18 Sig Scope for $632- heavy and long but couldn't beat the features for the price. Cheaper than the PST gen 2 scopes and in stock.

Link Posted: 6/18/2017 9:27:11 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By daddytallguy:
All these Grendel posts made me jump on the band wagon too

My spare parts bin gun is finally built so I can shoot it over the 4th.

Heart of the gun is a Jp Enterprises 18" lightweight barrel and matching bolt.

Pick up the 3x18 Sig Scope for $632- heavy and long but couldn't beat the features for the price. Cheaper than the PST gen 2 scopes and in stock.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/404018/DSC01359-233776.jpg
View Quote
Same thing happened to me!

This is a ultra budget build with a Classic Firearms "US contractor barrel"  AKA BCA.  18" fluted 5R  $95

The grouping was all over the place at first.  I shot a couple boxes of wolf to start breaking in the barrel, then some Hornady ELD.  I was getting really worried but after about 45 rounds it started to group and it just gets better every round.  

Here I started a ladder test, at about 50 down the pipe.  120gr SMK over 30.0 gr CFE223 2430fps

5 shots on a 3" target @ 100yds  Im happy, it is showing real potential.  Today, my son took it out to 200yds and put 3 in a 1 1/4" (sorry no pic) Looking forward to getting some SST's in some fire formed brass.

Link Posted: 6/19/2017 4:24:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 10:28:57 PM EDT
[#16]
All this Grendel talk had me scratching my head, so I figured it was time I try one! This will share a Sig M400 lower from my 18" 5.56mm SPR build for all hunting duty's as well as LR target shooting.

20" shilen 1-9" twist 6.5 Grendel wit matched bolt
no name upper and BCG
ALG defense V2 rifle length handguard
Vltor Mod 4 medium latch charging handle
American Defense QD 20moa mount
Leupold mark 4 Precision 4.5-14x40mm (until NightForce shows up)

Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:14:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Midway has some interesting looking blem projectiles in their latest email. I know from ordering midway blems that the photo doesn't always represent exactly what you get, but I'm going to give these a shot.

264 Caliber, 6.5mm (264 Diameter) 129 Grain Bonded Polymer Tip Spitzer Boat Tail
Link Posted: 6/20/2017 3:35:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By miker84:
Midway has some interesting looking blem projectiles in their latest email. I know from ordering midway blems that the photo doesn't always represent exactly what you get, but I'm going to give these a shot.

264 Caliber, 6.5mm (264 Diameter) 129 Grain Bonded Polymer Tip Spitzer Boat Tail
View Quote
I bought a couple of hundred  .264/6.5mm 123gr sst blemishes. What was funny they had a tighter weight gap than regular packages for 123gr sst's. I say grab them weigh them to category and have fun.
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 6:39:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Pic of Midway Blems. Haven't weighed them yet.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/23/2017 9:45:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: spartanglory11] [#20]
I've been secretly following this thread and sniping parts as they come on sale in various places over 6 months or so.  

After putting it all together and snugging it up, trying to sight it in, was only 4" low and 3" right out of the workshop.  I'm hooked....

It's going to make a good mk12 mod 1 companion

ETA: think I got this part figured out with another host....  thanks for the help everyone

Link Posted: 6/24/2017 5:52:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Well, finally got my build out to the range.  Overall, I'm extremely happy with how it performed.  I had 3 factory loads to test.  123 AMAX, 123 SST, and 123 ELD.  Due to some time constraints, I was only able to fire groups for the ELD and AMAX.  I spent time dicking around with a shitty $30 "rest" on the bench thinking it would help me get the gun more stable, but it didn't work out so well.    

As you can see with the AMAX, the top three groups were fired off the rest, the bottom group was fired after I decided to chuck the rest and threw the bipod back on and used a rear bag.  All of the 123gr ELD groups were fired off the bipod with a rear bag.  I don't have much experience with precision/group shooting, so I'm very pleased.  

AMAX:

ELD-M:

Link Posted: 6/24/2017 6:33:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By spartanglory11:
I've been secretly following this thread and sniping parts as they come on sale in various places over 6 months or so.  

After putting it all together and snugging it up, trying to sight it in, was only 4" low and 3" right out of the workshop.  I'm hooked....

https://flic.kr/p/VPNWgu
https://flic.kr/p/W5ySUF
View Quote
Those pics aren't showing up

Link Posted: 6/24/2017 7:06:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By spartanglory11:

https://flic.kr/p/VPNWgu
https://flic.kr/p/W5ySUF
View Quote
Made them show up for ya. Those are some good looking rifles.

Link Posted: 6/30/2017 3:07:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Anyone score one of the Larue 6.5s?
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 12:59:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By sea2summit:
View Quote
I thought you were being preemptive, but no, they are really on the site already.

Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:29:06 PM EDT
[#26]

I thought you were being preemptive, but no, they are really on the site already.

http://www.larue.com/sites/default/files/grendel-main.jpg
View Quote
Last day, I'd probably do it if it had the tAR handguard. Can't get excited about the dicks.
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 5:15:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 5:35:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Does Alexander Arms ever offer free shipping?  Need to order some mags.  $17 to ship four mags seems steep.
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 1:58:29 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By m6z:
Does Alexander Arms ever offer free shipping?  Need to order some mags.  $17 to ship four mags seems steep.
View Quote
No, make sure you order all you want together.  They charge a lot.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 6:16:17 PM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

Not quite sure why - don't really have anywhere to stretch it out in southwest OH.

Also my first production LT rifle.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 6:29:03 PM EDT
[#31]
View Quote
Yep, with the Burris.  First Grendel.
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 7:21:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By bill3508:

Yep, with the Burris.  First Grendel.
View Quote
Are they shipping with mags?
Link Posted: 7/9/2017 11:21:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Scored one Larue package less the supressor,already have two of them. They come with 1 Leander 17 round and one 5 round.

Pete
Link Posted: 7/10/2017 8:46:50 PM EDT
[#34]
No adjustable gas block on the Larue?

I already have the same Burris MTAC, think I am going to move that from 16" Stealth to my Bear Creek 16" upper.    Scope is $100 more than that whole upper!

Got something else in mind for my Stealth.
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 3:07:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 12:53:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Any particular items needed or helpful for reloading 6.5 Grendel?

I finally built a bench and want to reload for this, just starting into reloading.  I have all the basic items need, plus some additional stuff.  

Should I get a case gauge?  Any other items, I want to do this right.  I will also be loading 223/556 with a focus on precision too.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 2:09:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Ronnoc:

I finally built a bench and want to reload for this, just starting into reloading.  I have all the basic items need, plus some additional stuff.  

Should I get a case gauge?  Any other items, I want to do this right.  I will also be loading 223/556 with a focus on precision too.  Thanks.
View Quote
I use the progressive press a lot more than I thought I would. Case gauge is nice but your going to be limited by your magazine overall length. Power trimmer would be nice if you have lots of brass but I try to keep mine loaded up rather than piling up.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 5:47:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 8:01:55 PM EDT
[#39]

View Quote
I use the Hornady comparator tool with .350" bushing to check headspace on sized brass.

I have to push my headspace back .006" or else they won't chamber.

We covered most of the questions you could possibly ask in the Reloading Handbooks, which also contain terminal ballistics, barrel length and effective ranges for hunting, component selection, tool set up, bullet matching to game, rifle set-up, in addition to hundreds of loads in a data book format.

I thought I would never reference the handbooks after working on them for 2 years continuously, because you start to memorize stuff by that point.  I was very wrong, and find myself going back to them often.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 9:02:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Where do I find the handbooks?
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 7:42:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Where do I find the handbooks?
View Quote
You can order the 6.5 Grendel handbooks from here.

http://www.ar15buildbox.com

Alexander Arms also sell the 6.5 Grendel Handbooks.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 10:03:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Am trying to talk myself into taking the 6.5 Grendel plunge, but where is all the bulk ammo? I only see a handful of sellers with 500 round steel cases using ammoseek. What am I missing ?Are  we in between shipments ?
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 7:34:33 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By superdoc:
Am trying to talk myself into taking the 6.5 Grendel plunge, but where is all the bulk ammo? I only see a handful of sellers with 500 round steel cases using ammoseek. What am I missing ?Are  we in between shipments ?
View Quote
Not many bulk options but the individual boxes don't seem overly bad.  What's killing me is the magazines
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 4:53:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LaRue_Tactical] [#44]
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:07:09 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 12:16:14 PM EDT
[#46]
hoping to get to sight my rifle in next week. Trying to go to Best of the West in Leander.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 7:22:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 10:19:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By LaRue_Tactical:

Had you sprung for the very reasonable Burris offer, you'd already be sighted-in.
View Quote
I can't let you have all the fun! I have two scopes to choose from, SWFA 3-15FFP and PST 6-24SFP, which would you put on the grendel and why? The other one goes on my 308 AR that is nothing exciting.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:34:56 PM EDT
[#49]

I'm starting to ask why I go through what I do on my personal builds.  I can spend all day answering that, but man alive, these sure make it easy on you with one stop.

The way everything fits together on the Stealth 2.0 is like a vault.

I love this rifle.

I haven't purchased or owned a factory AR15 since 1997.

I'm keeping this one.

I've bought little things from LaRue here and there over the years, but never considered a complete rifle.  This thing is sex when you retract the BCG and feel it sliding inside the upper.  There is none of that grind and grit of new anodized aluminum fighting with parkerized steel, with smells like a welder going to town on a piece of work emanating like you normally have with AR15s.

Comes with the MBT-2S, Stealth 2.0 upper and handguard, where you have to look closely to see where the joint is at the 1913 rail-perfectly aligned.

That always irks me when I spend good money on uppers and quality handguards, to see that no matter what I do, the 1913 rail never quite lines up perfectly.

They're dead-on with this mate-up.

I've just barely picked it up, but am already noticing all sorts of little things that many might overlook.

Tranquillo muzzle brake seems to have a precision shim behind it.  Flats on the brake are very large with more purchasing area than I've seen on any other that I can recall, unless the entire brake body is flats.

The RAT stock has internal sleeves that hold cleaning rod sections in it.

Gas system has a unique feature I will look at later.  I just need to send it off to Nutnfancy to be adjusted before I shoot it......

Link Posted: 7/22/2017 10:44:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top