Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 22
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 8:33:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jefflebowski:
Well, calling LaRue tomorrow. This complete LaRue Grendel can't group with hornady black nor hornady SSTs.  I blew through a bit of expensive ammo trying to see if it would settle down and shoot. Pisses me off.
View Quote
Maybe it’s been covered, sorry I’m in and out of the thread. But, what’s your normal accuracy with an AR? What are you getting out of the LT Grendel? Factory or UU?

You can just tell me what page to go read, I won’t be offended
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 9:40:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, calling LaRue tomorrow. This complete LaRue Grendel can't group with hornady black nor hornady SSTs.  I blew through a bit of expensive ammo trying to see if it would settle down and shoot. Pisses me off.
View Quote
I'm curious to hear what they have to say.

I used my factory Grendel to 'Outshoot the Shootist', with Hornady Black.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:02:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By mi650:

I'm curious to hear what they have to say.

I used my factory Grendel to 'Outshoot the Shootist', with Hornady Black.
View Quote
I haven’t shot mine for groups since I zeroed it, is that bad

Also hornady black.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:19:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By sea2summit:
Maybe it’s been covered, sorry I’m in and out of the thread. But, what’s your normal accuracy with an AR? What are you getting out of the LT Grendel? Factory or UU?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I’ve shot way better with my 5.45 AR using Soviet surplus ammo.  I’m getting over 3 MOA groups with this factory LaRue.  I’ve tried this rifle with two different direct thread cans and no muzzle device at all.  I’m not new to shooting groups at a hundred yards.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 10:20:23 PM EDT
[#5]

I haven’t shot mine for groups since I zeroed it, is that bad

Also hornady black.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/326526/DC849CBB-6568-44B8-9A11-67127600A141_jpeg-1115384.JPG
View Quote
I’d be so happy to see that out of my LaRue.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 6:29:45 AM EDT
[#6]

I’ve shot way better with my 5.45 AR using Soviet surplus ammo.  I’m getting over 3 MOA groups with this factory LaRue.  I’ve tried this rifle with two different direct thread cans and no muzzle device at all.  I’m not new to shooting groups at a hundred yards.
View Quote
Yeah, 3 MOA aint right for sure.  Hope they get it running.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 6:38:32 AM EDT
[#7]

I've shot way better with my 5.45 AR using Soviet surplus ammo.  I'm getting over 3 MOA groups with this factory LaRue.  I've tried this rifle with two different direct thread cans and no muzzle device at all.  I'm not new to shooting groups at a hundred yards.
View Quote
Damn.  Hope you can get it straightened out!  The 12" upper I built will shoot 1.5 MOA with Wolf, won't shoot SSTs worth a damn though.
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 10:52:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: sea2summit] [#8]

View Quote
Any updates @jefflebowski
Link Posted: 10/9/2019 11:24:06 AM EDT
[#9]
View All Quotes

Not yet, work and kids...
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 5:05:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Just received my X-Caliber 18” Grendel barrel and bolt. Even with them cerakoting it still showed up in 5 weeks! They quoted 2 months.

Hopefully in the next month I’ll have everything else ready for assembly. Not sure the Vltor MUR upper will benefit from face truing, but I’m going to have Paladin do it anyways.
Link Posted: 12/4/2019 12:45:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey guys. Looking to do my first 6.5 build. Thinking of getting a sbr type see what it can do. Anyone try a SBR barrel from Alexander Arms? Looks like a good price or does anyone have any they would recommend. Thanks all
Link Posted: 12/4/2019 12:58:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Mnwhiskeyman:
Hey guys. Looking to do my first 6.5 build. Thinking of getting a sbr type see what it can do. Anyone try a SBR barrel from Alexander Arms? Looks like a good price or does anyone have any they would recommend. Thanks all
View Quote
Larue UU Kit if you don’t have all your parts already.
Link Posted: 12/4/2019 1:18:43 PM EDT
[#13]
thanks bro. Got most of the stuff just need a bolt and barrel
Link Posted: 12/5/2019 8:04:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Mnwhiskeyman:
thanks bro. Got most of the stuff just need a bolt and barrel
View Quote
Probably BA of faxon then.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 10:20:02 PM EDT
[#15]
My backup gas gun competition rifle has been sitting around without a barrel, and I had store credit at Rainier, so I’m deciding to give the Grendel a try.

I grabbed the 22” criterion and installed it today.
Attachment Attached File

Mega MML receiver set
Gemtech carrier
JP SCS
Gessiele High Speed

I just picked up the TBAC bipod and will give that a try as well.

I found a box of Hornady 123 SST and 123 AMAX (I don’t know why I had Grendel ammo lying around).

Goal for this rifle is more of a fun gun and occasional backup to my 6.5 Creedmoor while shooting Gas Gun division of PRS matches.

I’m really hoping I can get away with not having to load for this thing. Any recommendations on high quality factory ammo? If I ever have to resort to this rifle in a match, bad things have already happened so I understand I’m not going to get the performance of a large frame. But something with decent velocity, accuracy, and velocity consistency is a must.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 12:20:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Lennyo3034:
Any recommendations on high quality factory ammo? If I ever have to resort to this rifle in a match, bad things have already happened so I understand I’m not going to get the performance of a large frame. But something with decent velocity, accuracy, and velocity consistency is a must.
View Quote
So far the Hornady American Gunner ammo has been pretty good out of both my Grendels. I don't have the SD data of the stuff I tested in front of me though. I've heard good things about the newer Hornady Black ammo with the BTHP bullet.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 2:08:28 AM EDT
[#17]
Can’t find any BA  6.5 16”ers anywhere..anyone see any?

That or I’m looking at the Faxon gunner, but unsure about the lightweight profile..usually not my thing.. any feedback? Do they hate wolf also ?
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 4:46:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By maxxmojo:

So far the Hornady American Gunner ammo has been pretty good out of both my Grendels. I don't have the SD data of the stuff I tested in front of me though. I've heard good things about the newer Hornady Black ammo with the BTHP bullet.
View Quote
I’ll give it a try.

Anyone try the federal 130 berger load? Or the copper creek offerings?
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 5:20:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Where’s the best deal on the 200rd cans of American gunner 123gr
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 10:22:58 AM EDT
[#20]

I’ll give it a try.

Anyone try the federal 130 berger load? Or the copper creek offerings?
View Quote
I did a quick check with some Federal 130's and I don't remember the specifics but I do remember I was surprised with how well it shot out of both my rifles. Getting some groups and chrono readings is on my to-do list. Seems like it's been 'meh' for some people though.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 1:25:56 PM EDT
[#21]
My backup gas gun competition rifle has been sitting around without a barrel, and I had store credit at Rainier, so I’m deciding to give the Grendel a try.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/272152/1B528A35-06A4-4D4B-A507-CAA9DCF318CB_jpeg-1226593.JPG

Mega MML receiver set
Gemtech carrier
JP SCS
Gessiele High Speed

I found a box of Hornady 123 SST and 123 AMAX (I don’t know why I had Grendel ammo lying around).

Goal for this rifle is more of a fun gun and occasional backup to my 6.5 Creedmoor while shooting Gas Gun division of PRS matches.

I’m really hoping I can get away with not having to load for this thing. Any recommendations on high quality factory ammo? If I ever have to resort to this rifle in a match, bad things have already happened so I understand I’m not going to get the performance of a large frame. But something with decent velocity, accuracy, and velocity consistency is a must.
View Quote
Took it to the range today. Wouldn’t feed for shit. Couldn’t even chamber the first round by dropping the bolt. JP SCS didn’t seem to have power to get the round out of the mag. Was using ASC mag.

I have a sprinco red at home and will try a PRI 6.8 mag.

Accuracy was decent in the one group that cycled well. Sub MOA. The rest were around 3 MOA. The clusterfuck of getting rounds to feed I’m sure bent the cases at the neck which would severely affect accuracy.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:39:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Took it to the range today. Wouldn’t feed for shit. Couldn’t even chamber the first round by dropping the bolt. JP SCS didn’t seem to have power to get the round out of the mag. Was using ASC mag.

Accuracy was decent in the one group that cycled well. Sub MOA. The rest were around 3 MOA. The clusterfuck of getting rounds to feed I’m sure bent the cases at the neck which would severely affect accuracy.
View All Quotes

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/272152/1B528A35-06A4-4D4B-A507-CAA9DCF318CB_jpeg-1226593.JPG

Mega MML receiver set
Gemtech carrier
JP SCS
Gessiele High Speed

I liked the looks of the silent capture spring but that was a worry that some other people and I had. Will it feed a single round from the magazine? You may need to send it back to JP if it doesn't.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:40:58 AM EDT
[#23]
I use a JP SCS in my 18", though I exclusively use E-lander mags. It's worked great for me.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 4:12:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By JoeMal:
Are any of y'all using the 24 round e-lander magazine? I got one to hunt with but it doesn't feed reliably after the 2nd or 3rd round. Haven't tried to down load it yet, just switched to a 10 round ASC that's been flawless.
View Quote
Have a similar mag. Rounds 3-5 are jammomatic. Then it is fine for the rest of the mag. Thinking I should just call it a 19 round mag...
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 8:17:53 PM EDT
[#25]
What’s the consensus of opinion on how short you can chop a mid length gas system and keep it running?
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 10:29:45 PM EDT
[#26]
What’s the consensus of opinion on how short you can chop a mid length gas system and keep it running?
View Quote
Depending on caliber and weather you add a suppressor......

Faxon makes a 11.5” mid gas system that shoot no problem with a can. I imagine Grendel would do just as well.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 12:01:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By sparkyD:

I liked the looks of the silent capture spring but that was a worry that some other people and I had. Will it feed a single round from the magazine? You may need to send it back to JP if it doesn't.
View Quote
Doesn’t not reliably feed a single round from mag. I have other use for it so I’ll keep it. FWIW, it worked on a Valkyrie with no issues.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 12:02:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By mustangfreek:
Where’s the best deal on the 200rd cans of American gunner 123gr
View Quote
Anyone?
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 12:26:35 AM EDT
[#29]

Anyone?
View Quote
Use this site to check. I usually just hit up SGAmmo though.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 5:14:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By maxxmojo:

Use this site to check. I usually just hit up SGAmmo though.
View Quote
I do Use that site. Thanks though

Sgammo now charges me tax, so it makes for not a good deal anymore..sadly as they are a good place.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 8:58:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By BBTC_MH:

Depending on caliber and weather you add a suppressor......

Faxon makes a 11.5” mid gas system that shoot no problem with a can. I imagine Grendel would do just as well.
View Quote
In 6.5?  In the 12.5" 6.5G description it says it's carbine length.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 10:11:12 AM EDT
[#32]

View Quote
Sounds like he might be extrapolating 5.56-6.5...
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 10:47:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Doesn’t not reliably feed a single round from mag. I have other use for it so I’ll keep it. FWIW, it worked on a Valkyrie with no issues.
View All Quotes

That doesn't make a lot of sense. If it would strip the Valkyrie round it should feed the Grendel. Are you getting excessive feed ramp contact? Now I'm curious if the extra power spring drags cartridges too?
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 10:49:14 AM EDT
[#34]

View Quote
Sorry, wasn’t clear. They make a 5.56 in 11.5” w/mid gas.

I imagine a 6.5G would do just as well  the caveat being that it was suppressed.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 6:43:22 PM EDT
[#35]

That doesn't make a lot of sense. If it would strip the Valkyrie round it should feed the Grendel. Are you getting excessive feed ramp contact? Now I'm curious if the extra power spring drags cartridges too?
View Quote
It would feed Valkyrie from a PRI 6.8 mag with no issues. It wouldn’t feed a Grendel from an ASC Grendel mag. I’m thinking it’s the mag.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 9:51:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lennyo3034] [#36]
Attachment Attached File

Bolt is dropped. Only thing holding it from going forward is friction of the bullet on the feed ramp.
Hard to see from picture but bullet tip is NOT contacting back of barrel. Plastic tip is completely intact when I pulled it out.

Springco red installed. It’s definitely the feed ramps. Actually the feed ramps on this barrel are the worst I’ve ever seen, and I’ve built a lot of rifles. I’ve seen a $65 radical firearms Barrel with a better feed ramp than this.

I’m going to take to range again and fire it single shot. Loading round into chamber by hand. If it’s decently accurate, I’ll polish the ramps. If not, it’s going back.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 10:48:20 PM EDT
[#37]
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/272152/6A88E15D-5A2B-4A12-B549-CD77BCE3F7F3_jpeg-1233332.JPG

Hard to see from picture but bullet tip is NOT contacting back of barrel. Plastic tip is completely intact when I pulled it out.

Springco red installed. It’s definitely the feed ramps. Actually the feed ramps on this barrel are the worst I’ve ever seen, and I’ve built a lot of rifles. I’ve seen a $65 radical firearms Barrel with a better feed ramp than this.

I’m going to take to range again and fire it single shot. Loading round into chamber by hand. If it’s decently accurate, I’ll polish the ramps. If not, it’s going back.
View Quote
Yeah angle looks good. Now I'm curious as to how it shoots.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 10:45:01 AM EDT
[#38]
View Quote
I have never played with really short barrels but I assume it would depend on port size buffer weight and spring combanation.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 11:11:17 AM EDT
[#39]
Anyone make a 14.5” grendel barrel?

That isn’t 500 plus
Link Posted: 1/15/2020 8:51:29 AM EDT
[#40]
Anyone make a 14.5" grendel barrel?

That isn't 500 plus
View Quote
Mark at Precision firearms recently mentioned he had on hand some Saber 14.5" in stock ready to go.
Link Posted: 1/22/2020 1:33:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#41]
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/272152/6A88E15D-5A2B-4A12-B549-CD77BCE3F7F3_jpeg-1233332.JPG

Bolt is dropped. Only thing holding it from going forward is friction of the bullet on the feed ramp.

View Quote
This is a nuance of Grendel.  For whatever reason, a Grendel round drags a LOT pushing forward while still in contact with the magazine lips.  Just try manually stripping out rounds by hand.   I'm not sure I really understand why, but for whatever reason the engagement lips and that casings do this.  It's particularly strong with brand-new mags.  Just like with newly re-parkarized M1 Garand clips, if you run it a few times the mating surfaces smooth out and the device will run fine once it's broken in.  Also, another option is to just upsize your buffer spring, to give you more push-force.  I suppose you could also grease the inside of your mag lips, but I don't need to and don't suggest that as a long-term solution; nor do you need to.  But in any event, in your system, your drag force is more than your spring force.

My Grendels RUN crazy-reliable.  But I will say every once in a while, in a completely full mag (maximum force against the lips), when I insert and drop the bolt manually on that first round (without benefit of the gun-jarring motion of a fired gun cycling) - sometimes I have to tap the BFA to get the bolt to finish stripping the round.  When actually firing, I never have a problem.  I'm close to 3000 rounds in by now, steel, brass, you name it.

I run E-Lander and ACS mags.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 7:02:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:

This is a nuance of Grendel.  For whatever reason, a Grendel round drags a LOT pushing forward while still in contact with the magazine lips.  Just try manually stripping out rounds by hand.   I'm not sure I really understand why, but for whatever reason the engagement lips and that casings do this.  It's particularly strong with brand-new mags.  Just like with newly re-parkarized M1 Garand clips, if you run it a few times the mating surfaces smooth out and the device will run fine once it's broken in.  Also, another option is to just upsize your buffer spring, to give you more push-force.  I suppose you could also grease the inside of your mag lips, but I don't need to and don't suggest that as a long-term solution; nor do you need to.  But in any event, in your system, your drag force is more than your spring force.

My Grendels RUN crazy-reliable.  But I will say every once in a while, in a completely full mag (maximum force against the lips), when I insert and drop the bolt manually on that first round (without benefit of the gun-jarring motion of a fired gun cycling) - sometimes I have to tap the BFA to get the bolt to finish stripping the round.  When actually firing, I never have a problem.  I'm close to 3000 rounds in by now, steel, brass, you name it.

View Quote
Something I noticed on my elanders when chasing a bad mag catch or spring, elander mags where the lip tapers down to the top of the mag has about 1/8" of material from the side wall that curls 90 degree inwards that seems to rub/catch the shoulder of the case.  I relieved that curl and polished it well, the feeding of that mag improved greatly especially when full, and a certain recurring scratch on the brass is gone.  Just polishing that area well without relief may work as well.

My C-products mags do not have that curl the elanders have and feed smoothly, comparing each brands is what lead to particular finding.
Link Posted: 1/23/2020 10:26:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lennyo3034] [#43]

View Quote
Good to know, thanks. I still haven’t had a chance to get to test it. PRS matches coming up and range time spent on match rifles.
Link Posted: 1/24/2020 3:19:43 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By LastRites:
Something I noticed on my elanders when chasing a bad mag catch or spring, elander mags where the lip tapers down to the top of the mag has about 1/8" of material from the side wall that curls 90 degree inwards that seems to rub/catch the shoulder of the case.  I relieved that curl and polished it well, the feeding of that mag improved greatly especially when full, and a certain recurring scratch on the brass is gone.  Just polishing that area well without relief may work as well.

My C-products mags do not have that curl the elanders have and feed smoothly, comparing each brands is what lead to particular finding.
View All Quotes

My C-Product mag also seems to run a lot smoother than my E-Lander
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 7:23:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Got out to the range to try again. First group was 5 rounds single loaded. I slid the round into the chamber by hand and dropped the bolt on it. Sub MOA. Ok so the barrel itself is fine.

Then tried cycling and everything went to shit. The rounds that did chamber shot into about 3 MOA. They were getting beat to shit when chambering. This is a round that actually chambered but I unchambered instead of firing.

Attachment Attached File

Aside from the severely dented case, the bullets themselves are heavily gouged. To a point where I would suspect would have an impact at long range.

The plan was to take a dremel to the feed ramps and polish them, but I’m not sure if that will be enough in this case. I still haven’t tried other mags yet.
Link Posted: 1/25/2020 8:11:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#46]
@Lennyo3034 - Thanks for posting that.  Interesting.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 12:47:05 AM EDT
[#47]
View Quote
I think that barrel needs to go back.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 2:18:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Got out to the range to try again. First group was 5 rounds single loaded. I slid the round into the chamber by hand and dropped the bolt on it. Sub MOA. Ok so the barrel itself is fine.

Then tried cycling and everything went to shit. The rounds that did chamber shot into about 3 MOA. They were getting beat to shit when chambering. This is a round that actually chambered but I unchambered instead of firing.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/272152/94230F6A-1A32-4208-800D-A24947144E3D_jpe-1249620.JPG

Aside from the severely dented case, the bullets themselves are heavily gouged. To a point where I would suspect would have an impact at long range.

The plan was to take a dremel to the feed ramps and polish them, but I'm not sure if that will be enough in this case. I still haven't tried other mags yet.
View Quote
Whose mags? You need to see if the rounds are being presented correctly in the mag, if low it will be a jamomatic. My Cproducts do seem to present the tip of round higher than my elanders.
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 4:05:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#49]
View All Quotes
If it shoots accurately when single loading, doesn't that imply the barrel bore is not the problem?
Link Posted: 1/26/2020 9:15:11 PM EDT
[#50]
Whose mags? You need to see if the rounds are being presented correctly in the mag, if low it will be a jamomatic. My Cproducts do seem to present the tip of round higher than my elanders.
View Quote
ASC mag.

I will try a c products and elander.
Page / 22
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top