BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 10:16:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By flinch08:
No flipping here.

Long range marksmanship is amazing. Shitty Vortex scopes and CDS dials convincing people all they need to do is twist dials to be competent is all over the place.
View Quote
All the Vortex scopes I have used have excellent tracking and tactile turrets. CDS dials are used by Leopold.

Neither are to blame for shitty shooters shooting shitty.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 12:12:19 AM EDT
[#2]
No flipping here.

Long range marksmanship is amazing. Shitty Vortex scopes and CDS dials convincing people all they need to do is twist dials to be competent is all over the place. Look at how many videos are on YouTube of long range shots. Now search for wounded and missed shots on game. Crickets and spiderwebs.

My initial post was in regard to the individual saying 6.5 runs out of steam at 500 yards. No it doesn't. If you poke a hole through lungs and heart the animal dies. What does run out is people's ability to hit shit at that distance. I see it posted over and over how this or that caliber performs this way or that way at X number of yards that is way out of line for 99.9% of all shooters. Stupid shit. Who cares if a caliber is dropping off at 800 yards? Most people can't shoot for shit. At least at 150 yards they have a decent chance of hitting something vital. The further out you go the worse it gets.

We have a .300WM. Great rifle. Kills stuff really dead. Cheap ass Savage that is pretty light and MOA accurate. CDS dial. Kinda overkill, but it's really fun to watch people be sad after my wife shows up and starts banging 600 yard steel with it. In the field with wind, dust, fatigue, adrenaline, run to a ridge, shooting off a pack that 600 yards is waaaaay the fuck out there. If you have what it takes more power to you, but most do not.
View Quote
That's a pretty emotional response... Just use what you like and hunt how you prefer.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 1:18:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Pav56C:
That is all.
With all the new calibers I don't read much on here about the .300 Win Mag.

In the process of buying/building one.
View Quote
I've been considering a 300 as well, but I'm drawn to the WSM.  I prefer a short action and don't care for belted brass for reloading.
What advantage does the 300 win mag have over WSM?  Unless you are maxing the capacity of the larger case, I don't see the advantage.
I'm new to long range shooting though, so I could be missing something.
Link Posted: 5/13/2019 1:25:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By fluwoebers:

I've been considering a 300 as well, but I'm drawn to the WSM.  I prefer a short action and don't care for belted brass for reloading.
What advantage does the 300 win mag have over WSM?  Unless you are maxing the capacity of the larger case, I don't see the advantage.
View Quote
Why waste your time with a short action at all? Normal 300 has more case capacity and velocity. I agree I would prefer a non belted cartridge so I would look at a 30 nosler or 300prc. Really though a 300 Winchester magnum is a great round.
Link Posted: 5/14/2019 11:48:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By RePp:

Why waste your time with a short action at all? Normal 300 has more case capacity and velocity. I agree I would prefer a non belted cartridge so I would look at a 30 nosler or 300prc. Really though a 300 Winchester magnum is a great round.
View Quote
I agree.

While I am just a civilian, I’ve watched .mil extend the range of their precision small arms, to now include the 300 Win Mag.

.Mil and others have discovered “extremely low drag” projectiles and are using them to make hits on torso-size targets at (and beyond) 1200 meters.

The 200+ grain low drag bullets are only improving with each passing year.  Newer optics/ ranging reticles keep coming down in price, and make it ever easier for Joe average to make longer and longer range hits.  Hornady’s new aluminum tipped bullets have impressive BC numbers and could be game-changers.

I see the 300 as an easily-accessible (heck, even Walmart carries ammo), highly-capable, long range cartridge which strikes an easy balance between accuracy and cost without stepping up to something exotic like the 338 Lapua or even a heavy match 50BMG with custom bore riders.

Plenty of life left in the 300 IMHO.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 3:36:06 AM EDT
[#6]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
That is all.

More powder, plain and simple. I like my 300WSM but I would rather have a 300WM for a hunting rifle. Neither are bad choices though, and if you like the 300WSM better I wouldn't fault you for going that way.
Link Posted: 5/16/2019 3:45:38 PM EDT
[#7]
So who has a pet load with Partitions? 180 or 200, maybe with H4350.
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 7:55:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Accubonds 190g, 72g R22 = awesomeness
Link Posted: 5/18/2019 8:25:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Of course I shoot a .300 WinMag for Big Game.  As I don't lead a life of luxury my hunting trips are unfortunately short in time fairly costly, so why guess if my lesser caliber rifles will do the job.    My freezer is proof of it's ability.

Mine is a Remington 700 BDL topped with a Vortex -HS-T 4-16x 44.

My current favorite hand-load is 200 grain Hornady ELDX, 70.2 grains of RL-22 with Federal Large Rifle magnum Primer.

Last years Elk hunt in the Bighorn Mountains in the Buffalo Wyoming area.

Link Posted: 5/18/2019 8:28:53 AM EDT
[#10]
338 is waiting in the stable til fall
Link Posted: 5/25/2019 1:26:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Dominion21:

While that's certainly a nice gun, it doesn't tell me anything about 300 WM.

have you owned or hunted with a 300 WM?
View Quote
I would try to be more specific wither your thread titles then...
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 5:15:02 PM EDT
[#12]
I use a 300 WM, great caliber. However, I am working on a 300 PRC build. Lots of future potential with this caliber.
Link Posted: 5/26/2019 5:45:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By wspe1:
I use a 300 WM, great caliber. However, I am working on a 300 PRC build. Lots of future potential with this caliber.
View Quote
300prc is going to be awesome. My next rifle as well.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 2:33:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dominion21] [#14]
Originally Posted By BuschLatte:
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By BuschLatte:
Originally Posted By Dominion21:

While that's certainly a nice gun, it doesn't tell me anything about 300 WM.

have you owned or hunted with a 300 WM?
BuschLatte.  Thanks for the free advice.  However:

1) it wasn’t “my” thread title; I am not the OP, and

2) you quoted me, but I was responding to 0002.  Not you.  (I do appreciate 0002’s photos of all the delicious looking animals he shot). And,

3) can we get back on topic?  This thread is about 300 Win Mag.  Please post only if you have something about 300 WM to contribute. Thanks again.

Anyone know what velocity .mil is getting from their SMK load?  (Thought it used H1000 propellant).
Link Posted: 6/2/2019 7:38:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Did some load work up today with IMR4831 and 190gr SMK.

I know there are better loads, but I paid 140 bucks and got a lot with 1000 168smk, 800 180smk, and 1000 190smk, and 30 pounds of powder. 18lbs of IMR4831 in large metal cans.
Next load is H1000 and Hornady 225 ELD-M

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Looks like this will be a good load out to 1k

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/10/2019 1:09:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WarNerve] [#16]
Originally Posted By SecurityForcesmember:
That's a pretty emotional response... Just use what you like and hunt how you prefer.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By SecurityForcesmember:
No flipping here.

Long range marksmanship is amazing. Shitty Vortex scopes and CDS dials convincing people all they need to do is twist dials to be competent is all over the place. Look at how many videos are on YouTube of long range shots. Now search for wounded and missed shots on game. Crickets and spiderwebs.

My initial post was in regard to the individual saying 6.5 runs out of steam at 500 yards. No it doesn't. If you poke a hole through lungs and heart the animal dies. What does run out is people's ability to hit shit at that distance. I see it posted over and over how this or that caliber performs this way or that way at X number of yards that is way out of line for 99.9% of all shooters. Stupid shit. Who cares if a caliber is dropping off at 800 yards? Most people can't shoot for shit. At least at 150 yards they have a decent chance of hitting something vital. The further out you go the worse it gets.

We have a .300WM. Great rifle. Kills stuff really dead. Cheap ass Savage that is pretty light and MOA accurate. CDS dial. Kinda overkill, but it's really fun to watch people be sad after my wife shows up and starts banging 600 yard steel with it. In the field with wind, dust, fatigue, adrenaline, run to a ridge, shooting off a pack that 600 yards is waaaaay the fuck out there. If you have what it takes more power to you, but most do not.
That’s the ticket. Use what you like and what you’re good with. I smoked this 350” bull at 550 yards with a 20” 6.5 Creedmoor shooting 140 AMAX. Freaking 140 AMAX haha. I’ve been dusting elk and deer my entire adult life. Shot placement is key. It’s more important than cartridge, to a degree. I’ve seen elk get away after taking hits from all calibers. They are tough animals. I’ve found pie plate size foaming blood puddles while tracking elk and not recovered the animal. If you’re a seasoned hunter, you’ve seen it happen. Is a win mag a better cartridge for deer and elk than a little 6.5 CM? well derrrr derp dee derp sure as shit ya. As long as you’re good. I shoot hundreds of rounds every year out of my Creedmoors and can dial and put rounds, and follow up rounds, on targets at distance with deadly speed and precision. I don’t enjoy shooting heavy recoiling guns and I’m not as good with a win mag or RUM, even though they are a better killing cartridge. I’m moving to 6.5 GAP 4S (RSAUM). Freaking laser beam and gives me a bit more oomph.

Link Posted: 6/12/2019 11:47:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/13/2019 7:41:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By WarNerve:

@0002s

Nice work. Good shooting. Love that video - the trace the high speed camera - rounds smacking steel. Loved it.
View Quote
Thanks
Link Posted: 6/18/2019 8:36:35 PM EDT
[#19]
anyone use H4831 ?
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 1:16:35 PM EDT
[#20]
It seems as if 300 win mag is making a come back ..   there are a few more factory loadings comming out and a more talk over on Snipers hide about it than there used to be..
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 6:11:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Blaster7R:
It seems as if 300 win mag is making a come back ..   there are a few more factory loadings comming out and a more talk over on Snipers hide about it than there used to be..
View Quote
Doesn’t really seem like that to me.  I spend more time over there than I do here these days, PRC/WSM/NM/Nosler are talked about much more than WM from a recommendation and new build standpoint.  Why deal with a belted case if you don’t have to?

The only thing a WM gets you is ammo availability at any small town Walmart if you happen to forget yours.  I guess that’s relevant if you’re use is   hunting in the woods and just want more power as insurance.  If someone is wanting a big .30 for long range hunting, getting some Walmart Remington core-lokts that they don’t even have dope on isn’t going to help much, and good luck remembering the kestrel and rangefinder
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 9:54:49 PM EDT
[#22]
I still hunt primarily with either my 300 WM, or my 264 WM.  I have a pair of 6.5 Creedmoors, but I prefer the additional velocity of the 264, and the much heavier / wider bullet selection of 300 WM.  Also have a pair of 7mm Rem Mags.  I do plan on building out a chassis rifle in 6.5 creedmoor, as I like the reduced recoil for paper punching and steel plates at long range.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 12:11:53 AM EDT
[#23]

I agree. If your using say a 300 win mag for critters up to deer size and 338 for  elk and keeping shots under 200 yards you'll be fine. I've hunted elk deer etc since I was a kid and get to go on a handful of hunts a year but its always incredibly informative when people from back east with far more experience come and share the wisdom.  Letting everyone know how terribly ineffective the 6.5 is is one of those things. I dont care if its a 26 nosler, 264 win mag down to a 6.5 grendel the 6.5 is just not a killing round. If your a true american you use a 30 cal. Thank you for sharing your first hand experience on seeing 6.5s fail in field. Speaking from my own experience I've never seen a deer or elk wounded when shot with say 270, 7 mag, 06 etc but a 6.5 surely will. Like you said 6.5s are accurate but that doesnt really mean anything. Just because you can accurately put a bullet holes through the heart and lungs of a animal doesnt mean anything, It needs knock down power.
View Quote
I guess our critters here in the US must be made of something different than the critters in Europe and Africa where the 6.5x55 Swede has been killing them for 100 years!

My 300wm for the big igloo
Attachment Attached File

My Swede for critters and such
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 12:38:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sq40] [#24]
fewer people use it for sure.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 11:26:14 AM EDT
[#25]
I picked up a gently used Tikka T3x in 300wm last year. I'm planning on shooting 215gr Bergers once I fix the shortcomings of the Tikka. I've already filed down the bolt stop and have a steel Proof barrel on order. Once I figure out some bottom metal that will accommodate a 215gr loaded just off the lands, I'll work up a load. I plan on using this as my hunting rifle this year as my Tikka CTR in .260 rem is not fun carrying up into the black bear and coues deer spots.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 3:27:49 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By mp_moody:
I picked up a gently used Tikka T3x in 300wm last year. I'm planning on shooting 215gr Bergers once I fix the shortcomings of the Tikka. I've already filed down the bolt stop and have a steel Proof barrel on order. Once I figure out some bottom metal that will accommodate a 215gr loaded just off the lands, I'll work up a load. I plan on using this as my hunting rifle this year as my Tikka CTR in .260 rem is not fun carrying up into the black bear and coues deer spots.
View Quote
@mp_moody

I can answer that, to a point..The only super long bolt action BM that I know of is Wyatt's 4" box mag kit ..not sure they make one for the tikka, but you maybe able to adapt it...Magazine wise, if you want to do mags, AICS 3.850" CIP type mags are available, but they will only load to aprox. 3.740" they will likely need some minor fitting to your action..... I went thru this with my rum...I use the Accurate mags CIP mags in an MPA chassis and load a shorter round to mag length for close work, then just single feed my 3.900" long range stuff...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 10:45:18 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By BSOG1:
anyone use H4831 ?
View Quote
Yes - the “short cut” version H4831SC.  It seems to meter slightly better.  Have only used it with lighter bullets - 180 and 125 grains.  Accuracy was excellent.  Clean too.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 7:15:56 PM EDT
[#28]
300 PRC is what all the cool kids are shooting now.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 8:31:55 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By 0002s:
300 PRC is what all the cool kids are shooting now.
View Quote
I laughed....
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 9:00:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:

I laughed....
View Quote
Its funny because it's true.
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 9:04:45 PM EDT
[#31]

View Quote
Whatever you say...Several better 30 cals out there..the prs brings nothing that several other cartridges already have and it lacks the speed of several and the brass makers of many..
Link Posted: 2/15/2020 9:08:01 PM EDT
[#32]

Whatever you say...Several better 30 cals out there..the prs brings nothing that several other cartridges already have and it lacks the speed of several and the brass makers of many..
View Quote
The numbers say it. I couldn't give a shitless what anyone uses. I also don't assume everyone is using their rifle for the same thing.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 5:35:33 AM EDT
[#33]

View Quote
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 1:07:02 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote
You'll enjoy the comparisons

FWIW there isn't enough of a difference out to 500 yards, from a hunting standpoint, to say that any of the 30 cal mags are better or worse.  A mule deer doesn't know the difference between 180gr and 212gr bullet at those speeds.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 2:23:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By 0002s:

You'll enjoy the comparisons

FWIW there isn't enough of a difference out to 500 yards, from a hunting standpoint, to say that any of the 30 cal mags are better or worse.  A mule deer doesn't know the difference between 180gr and 212gr bullet at those speeds.
View Quote
Meh, enjoy your new fangled whiz bang...It doesn't do anything for me that my current round doesn't already do better...
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 3:43:51 PM EDT
[#36]

Meh, enjoy your new fangled whiz bang...It doesn't do anything for me that my current round doesn't already do better...
View Quote
Why you should pick what works for you and not assume people have the same criteria.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 4:09:53 PM EDT
[#37]

Why you should pick what works for you and not assume people have the same criteria.
View Quote
I guess you missed the thread title, when you made this, first post...

Attachment Attached File

Or maybe only you are allowed to make cartridge recommendations....
Attachment Attached File

Yet my recommendation was a simple one..and had nothing to do with a specific cartridge.....choose the best option for what you are doing...

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 4:32:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RePp] [#38]

I guess you missed the thread title, when you made this, first post...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/404934/Screen_Shot_2020-02-16_at_10_51_52_AM_pn-1278740.JPG

Or maybe only you are allowed to make cartridge recommendations....
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/404934/Screen_Shot_2020-02-16_at_10_58_06_AM_pn-1278747.JPG

Yet my recommendation was a simple one..and had nothing to do with a specific cartridge.....choose the best option for what you are doing...

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/404934/Screen_Shot_2020-02-16_at_10_57_10_AM_pn-1278745.JPG
View Quote
The first post was blatant sarcasm at people that always think you need a magnum to shoot anything above an antelope lol. Yes I'm the only one that should recommend cartridges because I dont say one cartridge is the end all be all of cartridges. I hate you grendel fans.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 5:11:07 PM EDT
[#39]

The first post was blatant sarcasm at people that always think you need a magnum to shoot anything above an antelope lol. Yes I'm the only one that should recommend cartridges because I dont say one cartridge is the end all be all of cartridges. I hate you grendel fans.
View Quote
Sure thing boss..I am done..Op's thread deserves better.....
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 5:49:19 PM EDT
[#40]
View All Quotes
That is all.

You are giving up 100fps or so.  Most of the hot loads for 300 win mag are compressing the powder a tiny bit in my experience.  I haven't shot WSM, but I have a pair of 300 win mags, and with careful load development typically wind up at max powder charge, or a bit over to hit a high velocity accuracy node.  I'd love to be able to do the same in a short action, but don't want to put the money into new dies, different powders, etc to try.  I'd say go for the WSM, and see what you can achieve.  Even if you give up the 100 fps, it's still a lot of velocity for a quality 30 cal bullet, so you'll have a good combo of range and wounding potential, with the same short range bullet blowup drawback, depending on what bullet you select.  FWIW, when my hunting load is a soft jacketed target round that will blow up at close range, I carry the gun in the field with a stout round in the chamber for shorter range snap shots.  If I'm going to have time to set up for a long shot, I certainly have time to chamber the right round for the longer shot.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 7:06:47 PM EDT
[#41]

Sure thing boss..I am done..Op's thread deserves better.....
View Quote
It's ok big guy sarcasm gets us all.
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 7:49:44 PM EDT
[#42]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By wspe1:
me 3
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 10:42:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 0002s] [#43]
Bergara 300PRC (the 225s hit hard).  Recoil isn't anything to write home about with the Little Bastard V3 Break

Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:04:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By StromBusa:

me 3
View Quote
I really dig mine.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/16/2020 11:43:41 PM EDT
[#45]
View Quote
Nice
Link Posted: 3/14/2020 2:44:18 PM EDT
[#46]
I'm debating whether to pick up a .30cal magnum type caliber
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 11:17:47 AM EDT
[#47]
I do!   I love my Winchester a Model 70 featherweight in .300WM
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 7:05:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lost_Phil] [#48]
My buddy just bought a Christensen Arms 300 WM for hunting Elk out west and I am looking at putting a 300 WM together some time in the next few months. I am also thinking of building a 264 WM at the same time as well .

On a side note, I look at the 6.5 PRC and the 300 PRC and I think they will be like the 375 Ruger and Norma magnums and will not have allot of support or mainstream popularity. The belted magnums have been around for a long time and still have a lot of support for as old as they are.
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 8:01:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RePp] [#49]
Originally Posted By Lost_Phil:
My buddy just bought a Christensen Arms 300 WM for hunting Elk out west and I am looking at putting a 300 WM together some time in the next few months. I am also thinking of building a 264 WM at the same time as well .

On a side note, I look at the 6.5 PRC and the 300 PRC and I think they will be like the 375 Ruger and Norma magnums and will not have allot of support or mainstream popularity. The belted magnums have been around for a long time and still have a lot of support for as old as they are.
View Quote

I've shot a lot of 7, 300 and 264 mags and while I think their awesome I wouldn't buy a belted magnum in this day and age. The belt is all kinds of fuckery and theres alot of really good options out there.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 10:14:56 PM EDT
[#50]
I just bought a SRS A1 last year and got it in 308 Win and 300WM.

They do what I want them to do and I don't need the latest and greatest for my shooting.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top