Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2017 9:17:32 AM EDT
Currently I have a Tikka CTR in .260. sits in a KRG XRay chassis with all sorts of upgrades. Shoots excellent and I like it in almost every way. 

But,

My friend (custom gunsmith) just got in some new Kelby actions, proof barrels and the new light weight Manners stocks. Pretty sexy stuff. The cool news, I can come out of pocket minimal if I sell off the Tikka and I can get a custom rifle built just the way I want.

Now, the Tikka outshoots me, once in awhile I shoot well enough to squeeze the Tikka for all she's worth. So I dont NEED a new rifle, but new rifles are sexy so..

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:32:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:20:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, to clear the Tikka is my only center fire precision factory rifle. The friend built me a 300wm off a Remington action and I have a Iron Brigade XM3. 
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 1:49:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By ACPjunkie:
Currently I have a Tikka CTR in .260. sits in a KRG XRay chassis with all sorts of upgrades. Shoots excellent and I like it in almost every way. 

But,

My friend (custom gunsmith) just got in some new Kelby actions, proof barrels and the new light weight Manners stocks. Pretty sexy stuff. The cool news, I can come out of pocket minimal if I sell off the Tikka and I can get a custom rifle built just the way I want.

Now, the Tikka outshoots me, once in awhile I shoot well enough to squeeze the Tikka for all she's worth. So I dont NEED a new rifle, but new rifles are sexy so..

Thoughts?
View Quote

If keeping up with the jones is whats important to you then yes you need to be able to say you have a custom precision rig to.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 7:44:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:38:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Just start a new gun fund. Then you can have a new toy. That's what I do.  Just have to be creative at hiding it from the wife.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 8:50:35 AM EDT
[#6]
What's your intended goal for the rifle?  If its something that you're going to shoot a match with I'd pass on the proof barrel assuming they are carbon.  If you want custom go custom, customs rifles are awesome, but the gain are small.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:10:06 AM EDT
[#7]
The intended use is PRS type shooting, mostly for hobby shooting at paper and steel at long(ish) distance. Caliber will be either .260 or 6.5CM

Glass will be a USo 3.5-17 w/ the H59 ret
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:24:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
The intended use is PRS type shooting, mostly for hobby shooting at paper and steel at long(ish) distance. Caliber will be either .260 or 6.5CM

Glass will be a USo 3.5-17 w/ the H59 ret
View Quote
Didn't you say the tikka already excels at this.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:39:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Currently I have a Tikka CTR in .260. sits in a KRG XRay chassis with all sorts of upgrades. Shoots excellent and I like it in almost every way

But,

Thoughts?
View Quote

Its the things I dont like that are tempting the change. The odd barrel profile make aftermarket barrels a little more difficult to come by. The factory barrel profile is a little light and a light short and IF i had it my way I'd change it to a longer and heavier profile. The current barrel profile heats up quick and has up to .5 mil shift down after the added weight of the suppressor is added. Combined with the short length and loss of top end velocity... its less than ideal but in no way bad. 

The lack of a recoil lug on the Tikka receiver means the lug is in the stock or chassis, which I'm not as much of  fan of. 
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 12:10:03 PM EDT
[#10]
How about you save your money until you can outshoot the CTR. When the equipment becomes your limiting factor, then you upgrade.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:15:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:
How about you save your money until you can outshoot the CTR. When the equipment becomes your limiting factor, then you upgrade.
View Quote
Its funny I actually shoot my 6.5 CTR more then my 6.5 custom gun.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:25:53 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd personally keep it. Plink with the Tikka and do your serious shooting with the custom gun.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 1:32:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Its the things I dont like that are tempting the change. The odd barrel profile make aftermarket barrels a little more difficult to come by. The factory barrel profile is a little light and a light short and IF i had it my way I'd change it to a longer and heavier profile. The current barrel profile heats up quick and has up to .5 mil shift down after the added weight of the suppressor is added. Combined with the short length and loss of top end velocity... its less than ideal but in no way bad. 

The lack of a recoil lug on the Tikka receiver means the lug is in the stock or chassis, which I'm not as much of  fan of. 
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Currently I have a Tikka CTR in .260. sits in a KRG XRay chassis with all sorts of upgrades. Shoots excellent and I like it in almost every way

But,

Thoughts?

What do you mean the odd barrel profile makes aftermarket barrels difficult to come by??

Your gunsmith buddy could put any barrel you want on your tikka including one of those fancy proof jobs. You could do just about any length and profile you desire.

I am also curious as to why you don’t like the lug on the chassis especially since you say it performs well?

Seems to me you want to have a custom rifle built so do it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 12:45:07 PM EDT
[#14]
I doubt I'll ever get a truly custom rig.

I like to have excuses for why I suck 
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 1:23:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TxRabbitBane] [#15]
Originally Posted By RePp:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RePp:
Originally Posted By TxRabbitBane:
I love my 6.5 CTR. So do my kids.

I came very close to spending 3-4X on a chassis rifle, but didn’t want to tote 12# of rifle (plus optic) around and the CTR was simply a better choice for what I wanted to do. Shoots pretty nice from the bench too (about 3/4 MOA last tone, trying 3-4 different loads tomorrow I think).
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 1:44:29 PM EDT
[#16]
An IBA XM3 you say?

Pics!!
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 8:32:50 PM EDT
[#17]
You already have a good accurate rifle? What more are you looking for?

Find something that will challenge you and your gun more. Try a PRS match or something.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 9:25:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Take a class or travel to some matches. You'd be money/skill/fun ahead of a new rifle that way.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 8:26:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DH243] [#19]
The tikka can accept a barrel up to 1.2" od. I've had several built, have ur gunsmith friend turn the front of receiver back to get rid of the taper.  That lets the barrel sit back to the flats of action, which are 1.2" across.  A m24 contour or LV contour is 1.2" at big end, both are common in-stock barrels made by Krieger or bartlien.

The steel lug in ur xray is just fine, the sako trg42 is the same and it's a 338lm.  

My tikka required minimal trueing,  just a little off bolt face and just lapping in bolt lugs to get 100%.  My smith checked action threads on both i had done.  They were so close that it wasnt possible/worth it to rethread.  I even think they are inch, not metric.  My 2 tikkas are as smooth as my ai ae, easily better then any blueprinted 700 and as good or better then the stillers and defiance actions I've messed with.  In regards to bolt cocking and cycling effort.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:13:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Keep your Tikka and get some cream for the custom bolt gun itch. I don't see the "upgrade" being worth the hassle or expense. If you want a full custom then start saving to have one as a second rifle. My suggestion is to try a PRS match with that gun or go take a full week long precision class at Rifles Only and grow your abilities.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top