Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2017 2:45:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KentuckyMarksman]
I've been saving up for a good rifle stock, the McMillan HTG stock for my Remington 700 SPS Varmint 308 rifle.  I've currently got the factory stock on the gun.  The price of the stock is $565 from Red Hawk Rifles.

I saw that Red Hawk has an HS Precision stock for $339.  Is the McMillan worth the extra money?

The rifle in question is a Remington 700 SPS Varmint 308 with a standard BDL stock, a Jewel trigger, and a Nikon Prostaff 4-12x.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 3:54:14 PM EDT
[#1]
McM stocks are by far my favorite. Although the Manners are just as good I hear.

I've also had great HS and B&C stocks.

I think with the McM and others, it has a lot to do with how well the smith inlets and finishes. Just my opinion, I could be wrong. I'm more of a chassis fan now.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 4:22:52 PM EDT
[#2]
If you are lucky, you may find a deal on a take-off HS Precision factory stock.  If I didn't have one, I would spring for the McMillan.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 4:37:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#3]
I have five McM stocks.  I like them but I bought them before the massive price hikes.   They seem to F up the orders often.  Wrong inlets, wrong features/accessories etc.     they will remake your order but F U to the back of the line again.   A crappy policy for their screw ups.  

I would be hard pressed to justify them at current prices.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 6:27:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I have two and have nothing but good things to say about them. From their customer service to the product itself they are by far my favorite. I wish I could buy more. Both of mine were purchased in recent years.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 7:08:24 PM EDT
[#5]
There is so many other options out there.  Manners is keeping up with technology and McMillan is playing catch up.

Many years ago I had several McMillan rifles and lots of their stocks.  Now days, zero.  To include my 50 and T2K.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 8:10:15 PM EDT
[#6]
One of my favorite stocks is McMillan's Winchester Sharpshooter model. Old school, but it fits me perfect. I own two.

The Baker Special was another favorite but I think they stopped making them.

Having a world class stock maker do the bedding job makes all the difference in the world. Paying more to get adjustability is money well spent.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 8:28:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a McMillan A5, a Manners T4A and a Bell and Carlson with adjustable cheek comb (looks like a manners T2A).  I like the manners more than any and the B&C the least, but that's my training 223.  

If you don't want to drop the $ but like the look, then buy a Grayboe.  They are nice stocks!
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 7:33:54 AM EDT
[#8]
I much prefer the feel and appearance of McMillan stocks esp. compared to the various chassis type stocks I have tried. As mentioned the wait can be long, but I have found McMillan to have very good customer service. In the end, for me they make a stock that is worth the wait and money.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:28:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the replies!  Looking at Manner's website, it looks like the MCS-T3 may be worth looking at as well.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 7:28:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Not trying to sway you from manners, as I said its by far my favorite stock but take a hard look at Grayboe.  He is the Son of Kelly McMillan and has the rights to produce the McMillan stocks (though not hand laid fiberglass).  Grayboe will be the next stock I try out.

Their Terrain model seems to be what you are after.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 10:20:50 PM EDT
[#11]
I just picked up a McMillan a1-3 adjustable and it's probably the nicest stock I've ever owned.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:47:45 AM EDT
[#12]
I've owned several Mcmillan stocks over the years, and they are 100% worth every penny. Most professional precision rifle stocks I've been able to use, if you like a traditional rifle stock more than a chassis, a Mac stock should make you smile behind your rifle.
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 3:33:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 8:54:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the info!  At this point, I'm plannibg on a Manners stock.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 9:18:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I have booth and Tom Manners and his crew are first class!!
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 7:29:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Rob01:

The T3 is an excellent stock. I have 3 of them on rifles. I like a more traditional style stock feel on my match rifles. I used to have a couple HTGs and the Manners have a higher comb so easier to get a good cheek weld and the wider forend is nicer when using it off barricades or slung up.

McMillan builds some very good stocks and well worth the money over an HS but between the McMillan and Manners I like the Manners designs and especially the mini chassis system which allows a bolt in and go with a DBM.

My switch barrel Surgeon with the 6 Creed barrel on it.
https://i.imgur.com/eb7ABZ4.jpg

My 6.5 Creedmoor
https://i.imgur.com/otBCcqd.jpg
View Quote
What cheek pads are you running on those?
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 3:16:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Lunchbox27:
Not trying to sway you from manners, as I said its by far my favorite stock but take a hard look at Grayboe.  He is the Son of Kelly McMillan and has the rights to produce the McMillan stocks (though not hand laid fiberglass).  Grayboe will be the next stock I try out.

Their Terrain model seems to be what you are after.
View Quote
The Grayboe Renegade looks really nice. Wish it had an adjustable comb though
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 10:26:16 AM EDT
[#18]
Update - ended up ordering the McMillan from Red Hawk Rifles.  Should be here by the end of the week!
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 2:52:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Pics when you get it please.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 8:38:14 PM EDT
[#20]
Got the stock today.  See pics below.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top