Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/9/2017 8:56:58 AM EDT
Good Morning Ladies and Gentlemen!

I'm interested in getting involved in longer range precision shooting. I'm very much a novice in this field. I've secured a Manners stock for a Remington 700 SA. I'm just trying to figure out the most cost effective way to get a barreled action for a left hand shooter. My intention is to move into 6.5CM. I know there are lots of actions that are in excess of $1000 but that isn't in my price range right now. I would even be happy finding a barreled action from a Remington LTR in Left Hand.

How do you think I should proceed?
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:01:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#1]
Shoot right handed. There is very little dexterity required, if you are starting out, start out right handed.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:15:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheLionHearted] [#2]
Hmmmm.. I am left eye dominant. I think I really should give shooting right handed a try.

I do of course understand that this will inevitably be an expensive past time. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to start.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:33:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Every accomplished shooting coach in the world will tell you to let eye-dominance determine handedness in shooting sports. If you are left-eye dominant shoot left-handed. End. Of. Story.

Telling someone to shoot right-handed because it's easier to find right-handed equipment is bad advice.

OP, I suggest you find left-handed equipment, or you shoot right-handed equipment left-handed. If you find yourself to be right-eye dominant that's another thing (shoot right-handed).
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:36:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TheLionHearted:
Hmmmm.. I am left eye dominant. I think I really should give shooting right handed a try.
View Quote
That changes my opinion. Trying to hold one eye shut for long periods sucks. It is best if you can keep both open. Less fatigue and you can also keep an eye on your level with the weak eye. Not sure how it will work using your non-dominant eye, left eye may keep "taking over".

I am left handed but right eye dominant. I shoot pistols with my left hand and use my right eye, rifles I shoot right handed.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:54:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:57:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Thank you for the advice so far.

This question might demonstrate how much of a novice I am. But I fire my semi automatic rifles left handed, with left eye dominance. The action of my semi automatic rifles is always on the right side. So I'm used to manipulating the bolt with my right hand and firing with the left.

Is there a reason why left handed and right handed shooters manipulate the bolt with the same hand they hold the grip with? It seems to at least partly be due to holding the rifle stable and having eyes on target through the scope, but surely that could also be achieve with some type of stabilizing sling?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:00:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By mcculver5:
Shooting with a LR  bolt gun I like a right handed gun.  

Assuming a "pistol" grip on the stock, I leave my strong hand on the grip and cycle the bolt with my support hand.  This is pretty slick since I am usually shooting off of a bag or a bipod.  With a more traditional bolt gun stock the bolt will scape your strong hand so a pistol grip is required.  

Doing this let's me stay in my shooting position and makes visual chamber inspection easier.  

My only left handed bolt gun is my Tika mountain rifle.
View Quote
Ha! I just posted on this and was wondering why more people don't do that. So would using a Manners T2A type right handed stock help you avoid your strong hand being scraped?
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:15:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TheLionHearted] [#8]
https://youtu.be/WO2KoxBCcMM?t=2m34s This shows a sniper firing left hand dominant with right side bolt.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:34:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: popnfresh] [#9]
If you never leave the bench or prone position then you can use your support hand to cycle the bolt.

It is fun to use other positions though so ...
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:54:41 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By popnfresh:
If you never leave the bench or prone position then you can use your support hand to cycle the bolt.

It is fun to use other positions though so ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmYLyJjQsRY
View Quote
What if you were to wrap that sling around your shooting arm? It seems it would keep it stabilized while you could manipulate the bolt with your supporting hand?
This type of sling seems to be usable also to stabilize enough while reloading.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvvkeWjVXMU
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:19:18 AM EDT
[#11]

What if you were to wrap that sling around your shooting arm? It seems it would keep it stabilized while you could manipulate the bolt with your supporting hand?
This type of sling seems to be usable also to stabilize enough while reloading.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvvkeWjVXMU
View Quote
Might be ok for a light hunting rifle but not for a 17lb'er.

I think eventually you will encounter a problem or issue using a right handed rifle left handed. Probably best to find a lefty action like you were planning.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:21:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By airsix:
shoot right-handed equipment left-handed.
View Quote
This is what I do and it works just fine for me
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 12:13:40 PM EDT
[#13]

I think eventually you will encounter a problem or issue using a right handed rifle left handed. Probably best to find a lefty action like you were planning.
View Quote
I was intending to only have a Sub 10lb rifle. 20" max barrel length. 
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 3:28:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I was intending to only have a Sub 10lb rifle. 20" max barrel length. 
View Quote
That won't won't play nice for long range precision stuff.  Light match rifles are 15lbs and many weight much more.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 3:44:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By TeeRex:
That won't won't play nice for long range precision stuff.  Light match rifles are 15lbs and many weight much more.
View Quote
My 20" suppressed deer rifle weighs more than that!

I started out in 1999 with a Rem. 700 LH Varmint Synthetic in .308 with badger base/rings and a Leupold Mk 4 3.5-10 LR with a Premier Reticles (remember them?) USMC wire mil dot reticle.  Pretty common setup at that time.  That served me well for a year or so and then it went to GAP.  There really isn't anything I've changed with that build since 2001 except the barrel got threaded and it has a TBAC .30 BA.  I say that just to suggest that you don't get too carried away at first, see how you use the rifle.  Find a range that has long range/precision guys and see what they use.  Ask questions at the range/match.  

I'd say find a factory rifle in a common caliber, save your money for ammo, and see if precision shooting/reloading is something you are going to stick with.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 9:40:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By TeeRex:
View Quote
I'm not too bothered by that. I am very interested in precision rifle shooting, but I'm looking for a rifle that's going to be more like a GA Precision Gladius in size.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 10:01:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 11:41:02 PM EDT
[#18]
That is helpful. Can anyone help me find a left handed Remington 700 Barreled action with trigger for a LTR 20" fluted.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 5:05:00 AM EDT
[#19]
You're probably better off finding a complete rifle. Looks like lefty actions alone are $500+.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:27:09 AM EDT
[#20]
You're probably better off finding a complete rifle. Looks like lefty actions alone are $500+.
View Quote
It does seem that way so far, I guess. I just don't want to buy it new. 

So here is another question, and it might be silly. But will. 16-18 inch 6.5CM do just as well or better than a 16-18 inch 308 for precision shooting? 

I do understand it won't perform as well as a 22+ inch barrel. 

Thanks! 
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:37:20 AM EDT
[#21]
It does seem that way so far, I guess. I just don't want to buy it new. 

So here is another question, and it might be silly. But will. 16-18 inch 6.5CM do just as well or better than a 16-18 inch 308 for precision shooting? 

I do understand it won't perform as well as a 22+ inch barrel. 

Thanks! 
View Quote
Yes, it will do better than an 18" .308 using most normal .30 cal bullets.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:47:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Good Morning Ladies and Gentlemen!

I'm interested in getting involved in longer range precision shooting. I'm very much a novice in this field. I've secured a Manners stock for a Remington 700 SA. I'm just trying to figure out the most cost effective way to get a barreled action for a left hand shooter. My intention is to move into 6.5CM. I know there are lots of actions that are in excess of $1000 but that isn't in my price range right now. I would even be happy finding a barreled action from a Remington LTR in Left Hand.

How do you think I should proceed?
View Quote
For long range precision shooting you're talking off a rest probably?  I'd use a right handed rifle.  It's really handy to keep your left hand in a firing position and just move your right to move the bolt.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 7:11:22 PM EDT
[#23]
I just went to Walmart and tried a right hand Remington 700. I think I would prefer a left hand action!
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 7:59:26 PM EDT
[#24]
So I went to Walmart today, and tried a right hand Remington 700 with a scope and tried holding it steady with my left hand whilst trying to manipulate the bolt with my support hand. It is definitely not practical for me to use it that way and I'll be much better served by a left handed model.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:05:11 PM EDT
[#25]
I am left handed. I run right handed bolt guns from the left side. In any supported shooting postion, it's actually not a disadvantage.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:08:10 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote
At my job, 3/5ths of the guys who are issued bolt guns are lefty, shooting right handed guns.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 9:41:45 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm a lefty and shoot PRS and I can tell you from seeing my last match this past weekend that a right handed gun and shooting lefty isn't as easy as everyone makes it sound for odd positions and quick follow up shots. Best option is surf gunbroker for a left handed stock rifle that you like and drop it in that stock or order a left handed remington action for around $450-$500 and get a barrel in .264 and get it chambered in 6.5 by a gunsmith and installed in your action and bed it into the stock. Which is what i would recommend.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 2:37:20 PM EDT
[#28]
I'll echo a few others.  If you are planning to shoot off a bench or not need a quick follow up shot offhand, right hand rifle is fine.

I too shoot PRS and took a class with a right hand bolt action as my lefty wasn't completed in time.  You are at a disadvantage having to break your support hand or reaching over the rifle to run the bolt for a quick follow up shot especially for movers.

If you're ultimate goal is to get to 6.5, I would buy a Left handed action, blueprint it, and get a 6.5 barrel installed.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 7:01:17 PM EDT
[#29]
That is helpful. Can anyone help me find a left handed Remington 700 Barreled action with trigger for a LTR 20" fluted.
View Quote
Plenty of LH LTR's on Gunbroker.  Just buy one and sell that LTR stock.  I don't believe Bell and Carlson sells that stock so you should be able to get a couple hundred for it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 8:21:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By jhereg:
For long range precision shooting you're talking off a rest probably?  I'd use a right handed rifle.  It's really handy to keep your left hand in a firing position and just move your right to move the bolt.
View Quote
I'll second this opinion. As a left eye dominant shooter myself, I don't own any left handed guns. For bench shooting, I find that a right handed bolt gun works very well. If your shooting off hand it's a different story, but that doesn't seem to be what you're building the gun for.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 10:10:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By FZJ80:

Plenty of LH LTR's on Gunbroker.  Just buy one and sell that LTR stock.  I don't believe Bell and Carlson sells that stock so you should be able to get a couple hundred for it.
View Quote
That's a good idea, it's just that they're quite expensive lol. I'm hoping to get a better deal.

Also, are you aware of whether or not the LH LTR has a threaded barrel and what the exact model number this is?
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 2:54:13 AM EDT
[#32]
First off let me state I am by no means a great shooter, there are guys here who can run circles around me on their bad days.  With that being said I am actually right eye/ hand dominant, but I usually shoot left.  A handful of years ago I cut my right eye.  My left eye is slightly more clear than my right, so I started shooting left.  I have yet to go out and shoot my RPR but I have been dry firing it with my left hand on the pistol grip and cycling the bolt (if that is what it is even called, I am on CQ don't judge!) with my right.  For the most part it allows me to not really change up my sight picture.  Again, I am not the greatest of shooters but for the bolt gun it seems like it would work okay.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 2:02:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Thank you for the replies so far. So if I get a Remington 700 LTR, with its 20" fluted barrel, and have 2-4 inches taken off of the barrel as well as being crowned and threaded, how much weight would that take off of the rifle. The rifle tends to weight 7.5lbs out of the box. The stock itself weights 2.35lbs. Not sure if any of that info would help figure it out.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 7:24:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Thank you for the replies so far. So if I get a Remington 700 LTR, with its 20" fluted barrel, and have 2-4 inches taken off of the barrel as well as being crowned and threaded, how much weight would that take off of the rifle. The rifle tends to weight 7.5lbs out of the box. The stock itself weights 2.35lbs. Not sure if any of that info would help figure it out.
View Quote
The LTR is not available with a threaded barrel.  Send it in to ADCO.  Cutting the barrel back on that rifle to about 18.5 gets you just past where the fluting starts.  I guess you could thread into the fluted part of the barrel, just might look odd.  You'll lose an ounce or so an inch.  

Don't get worried about weight, searching for light weight in a precision rifle is usually a lost cause.  If you want a light rifle, get some type of factory sporter chambered in the round you want.  The old Remington 700 "mountain rifle" was a decent light weight rifle, so were the old Sako rifles.   I have a .22-250 that loaded, with sling, bipod and suppressor is probably pushing 15lbs.  It doesn't move when fired and is very accurate.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 10:39:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By airsix:
Every accomplished shooting coach in the world will tell you to let eye-dominance determine handedness in shooting sports. If you are left-eye dominant shoot left-handed. End. Of. Story.

Telling someone to shoot right-handed because it's easier to find right-handed equipment is bad advice.

OP, I suggest you find left-handed equipment, or you shoot right-handed equipment left-handed. If you find yourself to be right-eye dominant that's another thing (shoot right-handed).
View Quote
This might be the best advice I have heard. I am LH and only buy LH bolt guns. I bought a Remington action from from Brownells and went from there. Attachment Attached File

Picture of one of mine.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 11:51:29 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By rock71:
At my job, 3/5ths of the guys who are issued bolt guns are lefty, shooting right handed guns.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By rock71:

I'm lefty shooting right handed rifles but I shoot them right handed. I assume you mean they are shooting them left handed?
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:57:42 AM EDT
[#37]
go with eye dominance, no multipositional problems.  the only lefty guns i own are bolts.  theyre the only ones that matter, maybe shotguns too, but thats another story

Link Posted: 10/24/2017 8:59:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 30Caliber] [#38]
I shoot either side but left eye dominant.  I definely shoot better off the left side. Most of my rifles are RH.  The only time I struggle is when I'm prone with a sling. Otherwise it's just a little slow. 

I got a LH Savage last year. They're good rifles and easy to find LH ones.  I'm not really faster with it because I'm used to shooting RH guns!
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 9:10:17 PM EDT
[#39]
I'm a lefty, and for the love of God, get a left handed action for a bolt gun.  There is a reason they're made like they are.

If you shoot from a rest or a bipod, you'll use your support hand to hold the elevation by squeezing a bean/sand bag.  It REALLY sucks to have to pull your head out of the sight, give up your sight picture, and re-acquire the target every time you shoot.  If you're running the bolt with your firing hand, you can stay in the scope, and keep your sight picture.  

If you get a right handed rifle, and intend to shoot lefty, you'll regret it.

-Mark.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 3:08:57 AM EDT
[#40]
Remington 700 LTR Left Hand .308 Winchester

Remington #86457

I bought one myself back in 2012. It's a tack driver. And no it is not threaded, but you can eventually have that done easily.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:17:47 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By M-60:
I'm a lefty, and for the love of God, get a left handed action for a bolt gun.  There is a reason they're made like they are.

If you shoot from a rest or a bipod, you'll use your support hand to hold the elevation by squeezing a bean/sand bag.  It REALLY sucks to have to pull your head out of the sight, give up your sight picture, and re-acquire the target every time you shoot.  If you're running the bolt with your firing hand, you can stay in the scope, and keep your sight picture.  

If you get a right handed rifle, and intend to shoot lefty, you'll regret it.

-Mark.
View Quote
+1  

I ordered a left handed Remington 700 SPS-V from Walmart for under $600.  Then swapped out for some new parts (stock, trigger, bottom metal) and had the barrel threaded.  Love shooting this rifle!!

I do own right handed bolt action rifles as well.  You can of course adapt and use your right hand to work the bolt, but I feel that if I'm shooting long range it's easier to remain in the correct shooting position and stay comfortable and on target with a left handed rifle.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 1:09:32 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Patrick303:

+1  

I ordered a left handed Remington 700 SPS-V from Walmart for under $600.  Then swapped out for some new parts (stock, trigger, bottom metal) and had the barrel threaded.  Love shooting this rifle!!

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4237/35479415510_8e035a0b28_b.jpg

I do own right handed bolt action rifles as well.  You can of course adapt and use your right hand to work the bolt, but I feel that if I'm shooting long range it's easier to remain in the correct shooting position and stay comfortable and on target with a left handed rifle.
View Quote
A huge part of being accurate, from shot to shot, at longrange, is consistency.  Breaking position to run the bolt is counter to that.  My next rifle will be a left hand action.  Probably from Defiance.

Link Posted: 10/25/2017 1:39:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Patrick303:

+1  

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4237/35479415510_8e035a0b28_b.jpg

View Quote
Thank you for the info, and that's a great looking rifle.

I might have to do something similar. I just bought a barrel on Gunbroker. I like the idea of having a shorter barrel, fluted and threaded but I might also have to just buy a regular Remington 700 and use it, slowly improving it.

How do you like your rifle? Anything you wish you'd done differently?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 2:42:30 PM EDT
[#44]
I too am no expert but I have won an F-T/R match or two.  I am also left dominate.  I shoot a RBRE trued Rem700.  When I am prone and using my bipod with support bag properly adjusted I have zero issues staying on the stock and cycling the bolt.  I feed and eject with my right hand.  Some people can do this, some cant.  Takes practice and proper set up of your position.  It would not work in off hand positions.  

If you already have a Manners lefthand stock then your inlet is for what action?  If you want a left handed action without barrel then go with Brownels and then buy a premium barrel.  Then get a good smith to true your action and chamber your barrel.  

I am building a rifle now and the action is about to go to a smith.  I have a Manners T4A, barrel, and bottom metal.   My action was from Brownels.

PoPo
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 6:36:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Et2ss] [#45]
I've been looking for a good LH precision type rifle as well, OP.

I am right handed but legally blind in my right eye. Have been shooting left handed since I can remember.

I came across these a few months ago. Street price seems to be around $900 and under.

These are compatible with any AR Grip and receiver extension/stock of your choosing

Savage Model 10 BA Stealth LH

Anyone have experience with this model?
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 7:02:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Et2ss:
I've been looking for a good LH precision type rifle as well, OP.

I am right handed but legally blind in my right eye. Have been shooting left handed since I can remember.

I came across these a few months ago. Street price seems to be around $900 and under.

These are compatible with any AR Grip and receiver extension/stock of your choosing

https://s3.amazonaws.com/savagefiles/firearms/models/900/2106870424ab777219d4c121ac1b449f_debe00323c9df6e2c1b474cb6f9d72fc.png

Savage Model 10 BA Stealth LH

Anyone have experience with this model?
View Quote
I've seen these online, they look to be very good value, especially in 338 Lapua.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 7:05:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M-60] [#47]
Originally Posted By policeman:
I too am no expert but I have won an F-T/R match or two.  I am also left dominate.  I shoot a RBRE trued Rem700.  When I am prone and using my bipod with support bag properly adjusted I have zero issues staying on the stock and cycling the bolt.  I feed and eject with my right hand.  Some people can do this, some cant.  Takes practice and proper set up of your position.  It would not work in off hand positions.  

If you already have a Manners lefthand stock then your inlet is for what action?  If you want a left handed action without barrel then go with Brownels and then buy a premium barrel.  Then get a good smith to true your action and chamber your barrel.  

I am building a rifle now and the action is about to go to a smith.  I have a Manners T4A, barrel, and bottom metal.   My action was from Brownels.

PoPo
View Quote
I am no expert either.  Not even close.  And while I agree that it can be done with a RH action, the LH action will be better.  It's time consuming at best to set up a rear bag to a level where the bolt can be run w/o coming out of the sight picture.  If you're laying in one spot and have all the time you want, it's doable, otherwise, you'll be playing "find the target", a lot. 
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 9:37:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Alembic] [#48]
I have always shot and qualified right handed --but being Left eye dominant, will be going with a LH bolt. They really aren't hard to find on GB. The most likely challenge will be to work on left handed fundamentals like trigger squeeze since it will be totally new.

Bud's has an LH 700P LTR in stock, FWIW.

CZ talked about offering the 557 in LH but never did. I'm most likely going with a Tikka Hunter in LH.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 12:42:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Alembic:
I have always shot and qualified right handed --but being Left eye dominant, will be going with a LH bolt. They really aren't hard to find on GB. The most likely challenge will be to work on left handed fundamentals like trigger squeeze since it will be totally new.

Bud's has an LH 700P LTR in stock, FWIW.

CZ talked about offering the 557 in LH but never did. I'm most likely going with a Tikka Hunter in LH.
View Quote
I did see that, but it's still a little way out of my budget. I might have to wait until I find one at a lower price?
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 8:59:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Savage 110/ BA stealth and tika t3 spotter are both in left hand and 6.5. Both can be found under 1k.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top